Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 503918 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Threatens Nuclear Strike On United States
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 04:34:43 pm »

I'm surprised they aren't threatening to nuke us over here in Australia though. We still have the ANZUS treaty in place, so it is pretty much a 'fuck with one, fuck with both' situation. Why attack the guy who can shoot down all your missiles, when the other guy has a ballistics program that equates to a kid with a rubber band?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 04:36:12 pm »

I'm surprised they aren't threatening to nuke us over here in Australia though. We still have the ANZUS treaty in place, so it is pretty much a 'fuck with one, fuck with both' situation. Why attack the guy who can shoot down all your missiles, when the other guy has a ballistics program that equates to a kid with a rubber band?

Ohh I am sure they have. Who hasn't North Korea threatened to blow up? I am surprised they have yet to threaten to blow up their own country.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 04:38:45 pm »

Don't forget that North Korea is so difficult to attack even the USA would have trouble.

This +2. Also, we can't attack them. China will not allow further foreign incursion on what is essentially a peninsula of mainland China. If NK did something to warrant an invasion, NK would quickly be known as East Beijing. The Chinese have a defensive mantra, and that will remain in place until they are threatened. NK going nuclear would almost certainly cause China to assert itself. This is not the old China that supported all Communist countries equally. This is the burgeoning superpower that has no interest in anyone destabilizing the region.

Misko- Nope, not some old guy(35) but I have witnessed too many panicked NY transplants at every emergency this city has seen for the last 13 years. The crumbling infrastructure simply can't handle anything but orderly, scheduled evacuations.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 04:51:06 pm »

because you would unleash of the nasty crawlies in your country to them.

Ohh I am sure they have. Who hasn't North Korea threatened to blow up? I am surprised they have yet to threaten to blow up their own country.
surprise they haven't thought of that.
"SCREW YOU AMERICANS, YOU WANT BEST KOREA, WE DESTROY IT SO NO ONE CAN HAZ IT. MUHAHAHAHA"

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 04:51:49 pm »

Except for... you know Chaoticag, South Korea would have one heck of a time even trying to take possible one of the most easily defensible countries in existence.

It kinda makes the advantage not so clear cut.
The point isn't to annex NK once a war starts, just remove their navy and their air force. Once they can't do anything offensive, they can't mount an offensive. Not to mention that the US is South Korea's allies, and all it'd take are a couple drones to ruin what war capabilities they have in North Korea.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 05:06:48 pm »

Except for... you know Chaoticag, South Korea would have one heck of a time even trying to take possible one of the most easily defensible countries in existence.

It kinda makes the advantage not so clear cut.
The point isn't to annex NK once a war starts, just remove their navy and their air force. Once they can't do anything offensive, they can't mount an offensive. Not to mention that the US is South Korea's allies, and all it'd take are a couple drones to ruin what war capabilities they have in North Korea.

Nooooo, the point once the war starts is to somehow try to stop all the fixed artillery that North Korea has from wiping out a good chunk of South Korea. Just because a lot of their tubes are world war two era doesn't mean they can't throw a very big, very explosive shell into the middle of Seoul. Which would involve striking through the DMZ, also known as the most heavily fortified border in the world.

Which would be very bloody. To say the least.

In any case, I really do wonder if the Korean War finishing is inevitable. I mean, if all this posturing doesn't lead to it, what happens when the North Korean regime gets down to it's death throes? Moreover, am I gonna be sitting Camp Casey when it goes down, or will I be heading there as quickly as possible?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:27 pm »

Do note that while the DMZ might be the most heavily fortified border in the world it's not leakfree. Numerous tunnels have been dug beneath it, often reaching quite far into SK. It's very probably that the US could overwhelm the border by excessive air and artillery support.

Civilian deaths will be numerous though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:59 pm »

Except China wouldn't allow a puppet state of hers to impede with the relations with the largest importer of their goods. Sorry. Geopolitics > One fat kid's daydream to have nuclear missiles.
North Korea isn't China's puppet. China's just the only one who will talk to them anymore. NK defies China all the time.
Nooooo, the point once the war starts is to somehow try to stop all the fixed artillery that North Korea has from wiping out a good chunk of South Korea. Just because a lot of their tubes are world war two era doesn't mean they can't throw a very big, very explosive shell into the middle of Seoul. Which would involve striking through the DMZ, also known as the most heavily fortified border in the world.
Not so much. The threat of NK's artillery is extremely overblown.
In any case, I really do wonder if the Korean War finishing is inevitable. I mean, if all this posturing doesn't lead to it, what happens when the North Korean regime gets down to it's death throes? Moreover, am I gonna be sitting Camp Casey when it goes down, or will I be heading there as quickly as possible?
There are only two outcomes to North Korea. Either they go too far and we finish them off or they collapse from within and SK occupies the world's newest failed state.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 05:12:32 pm »

They do have the ability to launch, the US just has a missile shield. If they do launch it'll be shot down, but there will be war for sure.

In that case I hope they do try it. It'll be the excuse we need to destroy them; not invade like we did with Iraq and Afghanistan, destroy.

There won't be a war per se, just sudden and cataclysmic retribution.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:15:24 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 05:16:31 pm »

North Korea isn't China's puppet. China's just the only one who will talk to them anymore. NK defies China all the time.

The only reason NK even exists is because NK is allowed to use Chinese banking and loophole-regulations to be able to finance their shitty failed state, so yes, they are their puppet state. China controls every political string in NK.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 05:17:16 pm »

destroy
Ok while I don't like NKs government, I am morally opposed to the decimation of a populous just because one asshole with the biggest hat doesn't like other nations.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 05:24:29 pm »

Oh, and such an act might be disastrous for world peace.

Because America is going to attack for sure, and China/Russia might not want to tolerate this infraction in their sphere of influence. Before you'd know it, it's the Cold war all over again.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 05:25:02 pm »

Except China wouldn't allow a puppet state of hers to impede with the relations with the largest importer of their goods. Sorry. Geopolitics > One fat kid's daydream to have nuclear missiles.
Not so much. The threat of NK's artillery is extremely overblown.
There are only two outcomes to North Korea. Either they go too far and we finish them off or they collapse from within and SK occupies the world's newest failed state.

Overblown, sure. I'll concede that trying to claim that "Seoul would be flattened in half an hour" like that article postulates is an exaggeration. Moreover, do you know that that's half of a two side opinion piece? Here's the other half.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/weapons/north-korea-conflict-weapons-available
Technology can help prevent the North Koreans from getting in a second shot. But there is not yet any solution to the thousands of shells and rockets they could launch with the first salvo on Seoul, and that remains one of the biggest concerns in an escalating conflict.

Read more: North Korea Artillery - Korea Conflict Weapons - Popular Mechanics

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2013, 05:37:20 pm »

did I say? Imagine, if you will, if the US spent 90% of it's budget entirely on the military. Wouldn't it be a shithole? Yes. Would it's military be a thing of terrror? Yes.
You miss out something:

Their military is utter SHITE!
Outdated, starved, inexperienced...
You're comparing a country that has a GDP less than south Korea's military budget. The guys would get roflstomped by America if they attacked.

No, you'd see a pretty terrifying war in costs of civilian and military casualties on both sides. If North Korea gets mobilized, they can get a helluva lot of guys, and a ten dollar crap rifle will end my life just as easily as a AR15.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2013, 05:42:26 pm »

No, you'd see a pretty terrifying war in costs of civilian and military casualties on both sides. If North Korea gets mobilized, they can get a helluva lot of guys, and a ten dollar crap rifle will end my life just as easily as a AR15.
You are making the assumption that the population will mobilize.
Give a starving village a crate of ammo and shit will hit the fan sooner or later. Give the same village a crate of food and means to provide for themselves and they will think twice before taking up arms.

If there is one thing NK isn't short on, it is starving villages.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 341