Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 503917 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: A valid discussion topic [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #4560 on: September 03, 2017, 05:54:06 am »

Look at it this way:

Their country is very small. If they start developing really large warheads, and testing them to go "Raaaawr! We have nucreah Fira Clacka now! US be scaered of us naow!!" every 3 months, they are just going to irradiate every square mile of their nation, and every aquifer in their country.

Why, because this requires them to keep developing bigger and bigger warheads, and even deep underground explosions are going to have serious consequences for them.  This is seriously a stupid flirtation with nuclear devices for them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: September 03, 2017, 06:04:07 am »

The Japanese meteorological institute confirms that the test was at least 10 times stronger than the tests conducted by NK last year.
That still doesn't have to mean it's a hydrogen bomb, but it does make it slightly more probable.

NK state media says their new nuclear weapon has a strenght ranging from several dozens to several hundreds of kilotons TNT, suggesting it is an adjustable yield design.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: September 03, 2017, 07:57:13 am »

I think the chance of war is very real at this point.

We will probably see a military buildup over the coming weeks/months, followed by another crisis, followed by an ultimatum and ultimately a Decapitating missile and air strike followed by full scale war.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: September 03, 2017, 09:08:08 am »

It hasn't yet gotten so hot that they start pulling out American civillians from SK, when we start doing that, THEN we'll know things have truly gotten hot.

Also, on top of all this, Trump is preparing to withdraw from the SK trade deal. Definetly isn't going to make SK happy.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: September 03, 2017, 12:14:42 pm »

I imagine its been asked before, but, who is supplying them with materials for these things?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: September 03, 2017, 12:37:12 pm »

I imagine its been asked before, but, who is supplying them with materials for these things?
Themselves.
NK has a lot of uranium. 4 million tons of high quality uranium ore or so.

They received machinery and information on enriching it from Pakistan back in the 1990s.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: September 03, 2017, 01:22:08 pm »

Japanese seismologists have calculated that the nuclear test caused a 100 kiloton TNT equivalent explosion. Norwegian seismologists' calculations even came up to 120 kiloton.
That's a lot of destructive power, but not really at the scale yet of a hydrogen bomb. Experts speculate that it either wasn't a hydrogen bomb, or it was, but it only detonated partially.

North Korea's previous test was calculated to be about 15 kiloton.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: September 03, 2017, 01:37:36 pm »

Most of the trouble with making nuclear weapons really comes down to precision machining and industrial process. Basic designs are public knowledge, as are high level overviews of how to enrich the ore, and a couple truckloads of ore is enough to make a bomb. The real reason every country doesn't have them is they don't want to bother with managing a large, expensive high security set of chemical plants that makes no revenue and with no immediate benefit. And then you need a space program on top of that to develop an actual ICBM system.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: September 03, 2017, 03:44:50 pm »

This Chyna really need a buffer state so badly that they want to continue pumping resources into one of the worst regimes seen in the last 50 years or so? Do they also want nukes so close to their border?

Or have they finally decided to stop giving the Unicorn Riding Koreans extra supplies?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: September 03, 2017, 04:37:41 pm »

Trump has said that the US are considering breaking all ties with any nation trading with North Korea (such as China), and he did not rule out military action.
Jim Mattis added that "Washington does not want to destroy North Korea, but we are quite capable of it".

The UN security council will hold an emergency meeting this monday.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: September 03, 2017, 08:43:40 pm »

This Chyna really need a buffer state so badly that they want to continue pumping resources into one of the worst regimes seen in the last 50 years or so? Do they also want nukes so close to their border?

Or have they finally decided to stop giving the Unicorn Riding Koreans extra supplies?

Because they aren't comfortable with having an US friendly country/regieme right up against their borders and they are REALLY, REALLY, uncomfortable with having US troops (plus radars and all the assorted stuff that come with an US base) anywhere near their border, even if it's in a friendly country.

Maybe they'd be fine with US troops and stuff being stationed no closer than they are currently.

Geopolitics aside, which can be negotiated in the end, what they are REALLY worried about, is the aftermath of a NK regieme collapse. As much as they have distaste for NK, and they've been giving China the middle finger a good deal recently, they don't want it to destructively collapse because then that would mean that they'd have to deal with the refugees pouring out and the instability that comes with a failed state.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: September 04, 2017, 01:42:03 am »

I don't think they have distaste for NK at all, for that matter

People here do realize that our view of NK (and their relationship to China) is, in fact, quite biased, right?  I mean, it's probably not a pleasant place to live, but you have to take with a grain of salt the more outlandish rumors.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: September 04, 2017, 03:07:15 am »

The South Korean minister of Defense has stated that "it is time for military action, instead of talks". South Korea military reports it has intel pointing to North Korea preparing the launch of a long range missile.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: September 04, 2017, 05:14:10 am »

Given that the current North Korea is pretty much Maoist China's mini-me, I would guess the current CCP views them with a mixture of nostalgia and shame.

Its like a embarrassing younger sibling that never grew out of its extreme Stalin worship phase.

In a slightly more sincere tone, Mao brought China to the brink of revolt, starvation and bankruptcy with the Korea war, on top of all the dead people. I really doubt the CCP will write off its most enthusiastic clone anytime soon.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: September 10, 2017, 09:01:02 am »

Given that the current North Korea is pretty much Maoist China's mini-me, I would guess the current CCP views them with a mixture of nostalgia and shame.

Its like a embarrassing younger sibling that never grew out of its extreme Stalin worship phase.

In a slightly more sincere tone, Mao brought China to the brink of revolt, starvation and bankruptcy with the Korea war, on top of all the dead people. I really doubt the CCP will write off its most enthusiastic clone anytime soon.

I have a feeling at this point that China doesn't give a shit about the politics of NK and is far more annoyed/concerned with the idea of America having a strong presence directly on it's border.

Despite the level of shit that is NK (leadership at least...not people) America is still the aggressor at the moment. America has spent over 20 years performing diplomatic actions against NK to "no effect"...but that is not a mistake. America is essentially trying to choke NK into a war to further it's global military stance.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 341