Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513878 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Sends US Citizen To Death Camp [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1470 on: May 03, 2013, 01:51:20 am »

Korea has been divided for nearly 20 years longer than Germany was, and the division was the result of the trusteeship of Korea (supposedly intended to last until an independent Korean government could be formed) becoming a tug of war between the U.S. and CCCP/PRC (resulting in the formation of competing and ideologically opposed governments)
Part of it is the fault of the South Koreans. Someone assassinated the only person with enough political power to assert that North and South needed to have a unified presidential election, and the other person pushed a South-only election, causing the Republic of Korea to get its first president (who also happened to be a dictator).
Might I remind you what happened when North and South Vietnam tried that strategy? Oh, right, massive war followed by communist victory. The latter obviously could not occur here, but it is just a bad strategy.

Kind of a moot point nowadays, though. The North Koreans are way, way, way too afraid, brainwashed, and doublethought to participate in a free election even if it could be arranged.

If there is ever a Korean reunification, it won't happen for a long time. North and South Korea are, for the foreseeable future, better off as separate entities. If war happens the DMZ needs to stay up for at least a few years to get NK up to speed and keep China pacified.
I continue to hold the belief that all our problems would be solved by North Korea sinking into the ocean.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: May 03, 2013, 02:09:09 am »

I continue to hold the belief that all our problems would be solved by North Korea sinking into the ocean.

As an added bonus, that would make China happy as well.

Better yet would be to slice North Korea out and move it to the middle of the Pacific, which would make everyone happy. South Korea because they don't have to share a border with NK; Kim Jong Un because his little kingdom is even more isolated from outside information; the PRC because there's no risk of them having to share a land border with a U.S. ally; all of southeast Asia because they're out of range of North Korean missiles; the U.S. because we can stop caring about what N.K. does as we no longer have to support an ally against their aggression. Oh, and the North Koreans, because they aren't all suddenly drowning.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: May 03, 2013, 02:11:44 am »

I'm starting to think he might be even more extreme than his father, and less eccentric. Both horrible things. The dictators of the world at least tend to be amusingly insane.

With Gaddafi dead, Kim-Jong-Un stable but hawkish, and Abdullah in poor health, we may soon have no eccentric dictators left...

Save us Mugabe!
Hate to break it to you, but Mugabe's in poor health. They were saying one of the reasons his party wants elections right now is because they just don't think he'll be able to do it in a few months.

Might I remind you what happened when North and South Vietnam tried that strategy? Oh, right, massive war followed by communist victory. The latter obviously could not occur here, but it is just a bad strategy.
What is, a long, genuine, largely proxy civil war followed by the weaker party's patron jumping ship with a flimsy cease fire? I don't see how that relates to combined elections in an effort to genuinely reunify the country.

Kind of a moot point nowadays, though. The North Koreans are way, way, way too afraid, brainwashed, and doublethought to participate in a free election even if it could be arranged.
What makes you say that, and what's your criteria for that designation?

Better yet would be to slice North Korea out and move it to the middle of the Pacific, which would make everyone happy. South Korea because they don't have to share a border with NK; Kim Jong Un because his little kingdom is even more isolated from outside information; the PRC because there's no risk of them having to share a land border with a U.S. ally; all of southeast Asia because they're out of range of North Korean missiles; the U.S. because we can stop caring about what N.K. does as we no longer have to support an ally against their aggression. Oh, and the North Koreans, because they aren't all suddenly drowning.
I approve of the Isle of Mystery.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: May 03, 2013, 04:34:50 am »

My impression is that the SK government doesn't want to absord NK for all the stated reasons, but still has to keep face and pretending they will, because nationalism. If the offer come directly (for example a palace coup in NK with the new guys offering to join SK), they just won't be able to refuse, but otherwise, they'll delay it as much as possible.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: May 03, 2013, 07:54:02 am »

Actually the best course of action would be to capture NK, then send its starved populace out, spread em amongst the world.
There will be no economy or starving NKs to save then. Just territory for the SKs to slowly move into.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: May 03, 2013, 11:09:08 am »

I see the inevitable unification of Korea as follows:

The world has appendicitis. North Korea is the appendix of the world, a left-over from developmental times. It has grown sick and bloated. When that appendix bursts, it will shower everyone in pus.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: May 03, 2013, 11:12:16 am »

Hmm. I suspect a military coup is most probable when Mr Kim angers the wrong general, with China ready to step in and pick up whats left/put toys back in the pram.
This is a blank sig.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: May 03, 2013, 11:22:57 am »

I see the inevitable unification of Korea as follows:

The world has appendicitis. North Korea is the appendix of the world, a left-over from developmental times. It has grown sick and bloated. When that appendix bursts, it will shower everyone in pus.
I want a video of that happening.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: May 03, 2013, 12:05:41 pm »

Korea will be unified when there is no Korea.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: May 03, 2013, 12:07:38 pm »

Since Kim Jr to me seems like one spoilt brat, who seems to be really inexperienced and too erratic in his decisions unlike his dad, A coup seems like a highly possible scenario in the coming years. Only hope the generals are atleast competent enough to steer the country in the right direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1480 on: May 03, 2013, 12:19:50 pm »

Actually the best course of action would be to capture NK, then send its starved populace out, spread em amongst the world.
There will be no economy or starving NKs to save then. Just territory for the SKs to slowly move into.
yes how could this go wrong
[chittering sound intensifies]

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 03, 2013, 12:35:47 pm »

There will probably be a bloody civil war leading to Southern intervention.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 03, 2013, 01:54:07 pm »

As an added bonus, that would make China happy as well.

Except for north Koreans, since they are doomed to a life of endless misery with even fewer opportunities to escape, and the fact that no one gives a damn what happens to them anymore.

Remember the real victim here (till the north nukes the south) is the people of North Korea.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 03, 2013, 02:03:28 pm »

Except for north Koreans, since they are doomed to a life of endless misery with even fewer opportunities to escape, and the fact that no one gives a damn what happens to them anymore.

Remember the real victim here (till the north nukes the south) is the people of North Korea.

I assumed that everyone was aware of that and was only joking about the whole "sinking North Korea into the sea" thing. It's why I didn't send a similar message.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 03, 2013, 02:06:55 pm »

Since Kim Jr to me seems like one spoilt brat, who seems to be really inexperienced and too erratic in his decisions unlike his dad, A coup seems like a highly possible scenario in the coming years. Only hope the generals are atleast competent enough to steer the country in the right direction.
Hope being the most important words.

Military coups don't tend to end well, last I checked.
Judging by the current state of the country, there is a good chance that a coup might actually (if not greatly)be beneficial to the country's current plight. OR worst case: It can get EVEN worse than now, which is highly improbable.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 341