Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 495740 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:30:49 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

I don't think anyone here can deny that Kim-Jong Un is very, very loud, and fond of statements of dubious sanity; if required I'm sure I can supply a few. Furthermore, most US citizens are already thoroughly under the impression that he is completely mad. Given these, it really wouldn't make sense to print a article like this as a tool of the US. I mean the idea that he could be a calculating puppet-master, while more flattering, wouldn't serve to make US citizens any more positive about the North and Kimmy dear, and might even make them more scared of the loud man on the nukes.

Even with the desire for profits put into account, a lot of Western mass media still try to manipulate public opinion.
For example, when US President Barack Obama was considering launching a bombing campaign against Syria, the public opinion in the United States was generally against it. In response, major American television channels, newspapers and news sites ramped up the reports about the war crimes reportedly committed by Bashar Assad against the Syrian people and how the Syrian people suffer because of Bashar Assad. BBC also did the same thing when the British parliament was discussing Britain's participation in the American armed operation.
That's pretty anecdotal though. I'd like to see a comparison of "friendly v. unfriendly news coverage in the US" study, if it existed.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

I don't think anyone here can deny that Kim-Jong Un is very, very loud, and fond of statements of dubious sanity; if required I'm sure I can supply a few. Furthermore, most US citizens are already thoroughly under the impression that he is completely mad. Given these, it really wouldn't make sense to print a article like this as a tool of the US. I mean the idea that he could be a calculating puppet-master, while more flattering, wouldn't serve to make US citizens any more positive about the North and Kimmy dear, and might even make them more scared of the loud man on the nukes.
So he could be just Kim Jong Dumbledore?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even with the desire for profits put into account, a lot of Western mass media still try to manipulate public opinion.
For example, when US President Barack Obama was considering launching a bombing campaign against Syria, the public opinion in the United States was generally against it. In response, major American television channels, newspapers and news sites ramped up the reports about the war crimes reportedly committed by Bashar Assad against the Syrian people and how the Syrian people suffer because of Bashar Assad. BBC also did the same thing when the British parliament was discussing Britain's participation in the American armed operation.
That's pretty anecdotal though. I'd like to see a comparison of "friendly v. unfriendly news coverage in the US" study, if it existed.
This is not exactly what you asked for but this is a study that shows that significant number of US writers self-censor on political matters because of fear of surveillance.

That one is of course related mostly to post-Snowden era. Fox-"we can legally deliberately lie"-News is not helping US media reputation for a much longer time though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Because doing so is highly profitable. Just look at Murdoch lobbying Obama [hilarious because amongst his massive media Empire, fox news is a part of it] to get the FCC to “streamline and modernize media ownership rules," in order to legally expand his media monopoly to more than what is currently legally possible. 5 corporations own almost all of America's media, and all of them want to be best buds with the people who can give them the monies. The government is otherwise all too happy to accept donations and public opinion boosts.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

If they had been silent, you would have criticized them for that.

They are reporting on these stories because they are hot topics.  Ask yourself, what would the world look like if your premise was completely false, would there be any perceptible difference between the world as we see it today if "the media" was completely apathetic?  Talk about those issues, don't make a fallacious ridden grab bag of guilt by association.

By the standard that you indict the Syrian media, my brother is also seeking to advance an imperialist agenda of the US.  After all, he started talking about Syria just before Obama did.  Is anyone who talked about Syrian brutality an imperialist?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

An attack does not necessarily mean a full invasion. They've done skirmishes and barrages before.
Also they consistently threaten this stuff often. Be worried when the Norks grow silent.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More bluffing, nothing to get too scared about.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

North Korea "threatens to strike South without notice."

Tensions between North and South Korea kicked up a notch after a threatening fax was sent from Pyongyang to Seoul on a special communications line between the two rival capitals.

Ooo. I'm surprised they even still use fax machines.. but I guess that's why SK has that 'special communication line' [old terrible communication lines NK can't update] we hear so much about. Probably right next to a rotary phone.

Another thing:
Quote from: from the 'article'
Kim Jong-Il recently ordered the execution of his uncle Jang Song-Thaek in order to consolidate his grip on power.

Anarcho-communist zombies!

Excuse you, article writer? I know this isn't a journalist, not one of them is this much of a moron.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Quote from: from the 'article'
Kim Jong-Il recently ordered the execution of his uncle Jang Song-Thaek in order to consolidate his grip on power.
That zombie bastard!
Technically possible with Nork logic. Remember? Officially, he isn't dead. Therefore, no need to zombie. HE IS ETERNAL

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

I forget truth. Great master live eternal in best Korea!

Funny thing is, according to the article, Funk Master-Il has an Uncle-Brother.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:47:19 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile

Him being an elf would explain his immortality. I always knew something was fishy about those North Korean dictators, but elves! The situation is more dire than anyone could have anticipated.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Him being an elf would explain his immortality. I always knew something was fishy about those North Korean dictators, but elves! The situation is more dire than anyone could have anticipated.
"South Korea, you know we love your debauched pursuit for wealth, your black market phones are just wonderful, but you know? We'd like you to join the rest of civilized best Korea in protecting the trees, so how about we let you only murder 3 trees this year? No?
A SEA OF FIRE ON YOU
FUKEN CAPITALIST PIG DISGUSTING"
The North Koreans have brought the full force of their lands against you.
*Kim Il-Sung shows up leading the North Korean unicorn cavalry*
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 341