Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 496764 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Especially since I have little sympathy for that prisoner guy. I mean, going to do missionary work in NK as an American? That's not courage, it's stupidity. It's sad for his family, but he had it coming.
Hooray victim blaming?

It's one thing to say someone could've acted a bit smarter, it's another to blame them for being harmed by the actions of others.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Especially since I have little sympathy for that prisoner guy. I mean, going to do missionary work in NK as an American? That's not courage, it's stupidity. It's sad for his family, but he had it coming.
Hooray victim blaming?

It's one thing to say someone could've acted a bit smarter, it's another to blame them for being harmed by the actions of others.

To be fair though. You don't go to one of the most paranoid and authoritarian countries in the world not expecting problems. I feel like there is an American mentality that if we just keep going to NK, and making an international incident out of what inevitably happens, that we're going to change NK. I have all the respect for missionary/humanitarian work, but sort of like being a soldier, you are signing up for the risk when you accept the task. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get him back. But I don't think hand-wringing is the appropriate response for anyone but his family.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:50:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I can't exactly muster much sympathy for missionaries in general, but we should do our best to get anybody out that we can. NK is a hellhole like no other.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Hooray victim blaming?

Well, not really.

As an American (North Korean Arch-enemy) you're going to an autocratic, propagandist state, with the intention of undermining the state religion (Ak, Kim-Yong's being the divine leaders). I mean, you should've seen this coming.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Again, you can say he could've acted smarter and not gone and I won't dispute that, but any *blame* still resides entirely on NK.

The very definition of victim blaming is placing responsibility for someone's bad actions on the target of their actions.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Again, you can say he could've acted smarter and not gone and I won't dispute that, but any *blame* still resides entirely on NK.

The very definition of victim blaming is placing responsibility for someone's bad actions on the target of their actions.

So if a guy sticks his hand in a tiger's mouth, we're supposed to blame the tiger when he loses it? That's not an exact comparison, but depending on how you view NK, maybe it is. Again, I think this speaks to the Western concept that we should be able to go places and do our thing regardless of the place we're doing it, because we know we're in the right. So we take the moral high ground in situations we precipitated. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy because we have given ourselves the mandate to make the world a better place.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I'm not so sure. He went there and broke their laws. Would it be human right abuse if a NK tourist got arrested for smoking weed in Washington DC?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Which law? Has NK released any statements about why he is imprisoned? The CNN interview with Rodman implied that no-one knows what sort of law he broke.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

But that was a few days ago. Apparently the charge is something like "Threatening the state by spreading religious lies" or something like that. So yeah, apparently going to NK to spread things contrary to the official ideology ain't legal there, surprise, surprise.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

But that was a few days ago. Apparently the charge is something like "Threatening the state by spreading religious lies" or something like that. So yeah, apparently going to NK to spread things contrary to the official ideology ain't legal there, surprise, surprise.
KCNA's report on his trial:
American Citizen Punished in DPRK
Pyongyang, May 2 (KCNA) -- A trial of Pae Jun Ho, an American citizen, took place held at the Supreme Court of the DPRK on April 30. He was arrested while committing hostile acts against the DPRK after entering Rason City as a tourist on Nov. 3 last year.

The Supreme Court sentenced him to 15 years of compulsory labor for this crime.

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Apparently he was caught with an hard drive showing picture of starving North Korean orphans. Ok, he might have been more courageous than stupid. I'm starting to like the guy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm not surprised they'd crack down on that. The information age and totalitarian states don't seem to get along very well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Glorious Leader NEEDS his cult of personality to stay in power.

Why, just think what would happen if the people started questioning if Glorious Leader's dad HADN'T actually invented fusion? Why, there could be riots in the streets!

Glorious leader provides for the people! How could that terrible man lie about glorious leader like that?

(Feels sickened from entering that thought mode.)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site

I don't think anyone's going "The NK are totally cool to do this, it's that darned missionary guy that brought this upon himself!" They're saying both "The NK is a horrible totalitarian state that oppresses people and unjustly (in the eyes of the world) imprisons people" and that "He really should have known better."

Self-preservationism is a thing, and when someone doesn't exercise it enough or ignores the obvious repercussions, I think it's fair to have people call them out on it.
Unless he didn't go there for missionary work and his primary goal was to actually bring to light human rights abuse and the like for real international response and change for the people. Then that guy took a big risk and he lost, which sucks because I would have been rooting for him.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

He was actually a tour operator organizing tours in North Korea before there, and used to opportunity to smuggle pictures out and conduct missionary work.

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 341