Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 503228 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Secret Service Fails To Collateral Damage Crowd For Prez [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3600 on: December 17, 2015, 04:03:14 pm »

Sicily is not a nation, no... And I was thinking of modern Western Europe, to be honest :P

Else we might as well include Mussolini, the Russian Tsar, maybe Stalin...

Stalin died of a heart attack, not assassinated, and I am looking at post WWII.

Looking at politicians that are not heads of state, the only ones post WWII that are remotely familiar or known (to me at least) are Louis Montbatten and Boris Nemtsov.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Secret Service Fails To Collateral Damage Crowd For Prez [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3601 on: December 17, 2015, 04:09:25 pm »

How many European heads of state/government have been assassinated in the post-war period anyway? AFAIK there was only Olof Palme...

Does Nicolae Ceaușescu count?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: December 18, 2015, 01:26:25 am »

Sicily is not a nation, no... And I was thinking of modern Western Europe, to be honest :P

So he was assassinated by entropy? Poor personal habits may have also participated in the daring act.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: December 18, 2015, 01:55:49 am »

So he was assassinated by entropy? Poor personal habits may have also participated in the daring act.
Aye.  His habit of arresting and/or killing anyone who looked at him funny, including some hundreds of doctors in the months before his death (on charges of conspiracy to assassinate Soviet leaders, no less), meant that no one was willing to risk arrest and execution in order to check on him when he did not come out of his room at dawn as was his usual wont.  The only person to dare did so only in the late evening, after which he had likely been suffering the aftereffects of a stroke and internal hemorrhaging for at least 12-18 hours.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: December 18, 2015, 06:18:00 am »

Heh. How ironic. More horrible people should have their sins punish themselves like that.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: December 18, 2015, 06:52:46 am »

Also there's this conspiracy theory that he was poisoned by Beria - but yeah, a stroke is much more likely. Beria survived him, after all.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: December 18, 2015, 06:54:45 am »

He survived him to get shot in a basement!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: December 18, 2015, 07:32:48 am »

Who's beria?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: December 18, 2015, 07:53:54 am »

Heinrich Himmler: Soviet Edition.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: December 18, 2015, 08:59:53 am »

Who's beria?
IIRC internal affairs minister or something analogous to that

he organized Soviet nuclear project during the time when the country was invaded by Nazis, which is not an easy task

he was pretty effective at his role, which is why many people today invoke his name (or Stalin's) whenever they see our corrupt officials being corrupt, implying that all these corruptioneers would've get what they deserve (that is, getting shot) if Beria was still here
._.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: December 18, 2015, 09:37:34 am »

...many people today invoke his name (or Stalin's) whenever they see our corrupt officials being corrupt, implying that all these corruptioneers would've get what they deserve (that is, getting shot) if Beria was still here
That's pretty mental, m8.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: December 18, 2015, 10:14:45 am »

WTF Poland.

The new rightwing Polish government has used military force to remove the head of a NATO centre in Warsow, and replaced him with a friend of the political party. This was part of a series of events where the new government of prime minister Beata Szydlo is actively putting loyalists into power in important places.

First time ever since NATO was formed, that a NATO structure was assaulted on NATO grounds, by a NATO member.

This could mean Poland getting kicked out of NATO.

Start embracing your new Russian overlords, my Polish friends.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:18:04 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: December 18, 2015, 10:17:25 am »

The new rightwing Polish government has used military force to remove the head of a NATO centre in Warsow, and replaced him with a friend of the political party.

what.

what is that move even supposed to do?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: December 18, 2015, 10:20:12 am »

The government said "it was nescessary, because we fired that guy (colonel Krzysztof Dusza)  last week, but he refused to go"

Ever since the party got into power this november, they have been firing government officials and judges that had been appointed by the previous governments, and replacing them with loyalists.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:24:24 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 341