Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Punchtongs - A learning newb's fortress.  (Read 974 times)

Pinnacle441

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Punchtongs - A learning newb's fortress.
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:49:10 am »

I felt like making one of my first fortresses into a story would be fun, I'm not a very good writer, but I thought I would share. If anyone wants me to nickname a Dwarf after them, I'm up for it. I don't expect this to last very long, but it might be funny for some to watch me fail miserably and make horrible, retarded mistakes.

1st Granite, 126. Reg Nogurvad's Journal.

We finally made it to the area! We're all very excited as the miners start to dig into the side of the mountain, awhile ago, our old expedition leader in the Fastdraw fortress sent us out to go start a "sub-fortress" to get new food, we all knew that he was just evicting us though to save supplies. The area seems fairly decent, we got a river somewhere around here, a nice large mountain, plenty of trees and plants, it seems fairly warm.. but I still have my doubts, since the map didn't say what animals lived around here. We haven't seen any, though. So, here's hoping for the best!

Our designer drew us a map of the area after inspecting around a bit, it looks like this. He said that he still needs to draw some more out.

I've told the miners to get to work right away, I was told that a caravan will be arriving by winter.

4th Granite, 126.

After 3 days of sleeping and talking about building plans, the miners finally finished carving out the hallways and stairs below, I ordered them to get to work on a stockpile and a little work area for our Carpenter, speaking of Carpenters, I also took the time to tally up the men.

We got two miners, a woodworker, a stoneworker, a ranger, two farmers... a trained animal, and about 19 other animals playing about around the wagon. The miners are now starting work on getting us going.

28th Granite, 126.

We finally got a small work hallway done along with the wood stockpile, I've ordered the construction of a carpenters workshop immediately. We also started cutting down wood, so things should really get going for us soon, hopefully.

2nd Slate, 126.

The carpenters workshop is done, I ordered immediate construction of doors so we look more proper. I also commanded the construction of our trade depot from some logs, so when the Caravan arrives, it'll know where to go.

6th Slate, 126. Mid-spring.

Our designer complained of no architect, isn't that your job? Dumb fool, but fine. I shall wait until inevitable migrants arrive. We started construction on a Mechanic's workshop, so we could have traps laid out ahead of time. We'll soon start planting our very much so needed plump helmets. I'm also going to soon command the construction of a dormatory.

10th Slate, 126.

I've realized food supplies are starting to run low faster then I expected, I immediately commanded that the construction of a farm area be done as soon as possible, we also got the mechanic's workshop done. We'll get Plump Helmets in our belly in no time. I also hoped that we could get berries or some kind of food off of plants, so I commanded harvesting as well. We're working on rock mechanics with the new mechanic's workshop too.

18th Slate, 126.

Supplies run lower, I built the farm area near a little lake, should we need to flood it. I've started placing doors. Everyone grows tired, including myself. We will be making a dormatory after this. We deserve nice beds after a month of hard work. Speaking of which, I was just alerted the miners passed out while mining. Poor bastards have been working so hard.

3rd Felsite, 126. Late spring.

We finally got the farm ready, our farmer told us that he will plant the seeds soon. Fishing and plant gathering has kept us afloat. I will begin work on another floor soon. We also finished the room for the Dormatory, and have started setting down beds and doors for it. We will rest well again soon.

21st Felsite, 126.

Our lazy farmer finally got off of his lazy arse and started planting some proper Plump Helmets. Glad to see you want to eat, lazy fool. We also finished the dormatory, and can sleep well. We have also starting laying down traps, so far we got some cage ones about to go up, and a few rock fall ones. Snatch our future young, you stupid goblins. I dare you, I'll personally gut you from inside the cage myself. Either way, our hunter ahs been working hard, we've been fishing at the river, and gathering plants. It looks like we're going to float for awhile. I hope.

------

That's all for now, my writing is sloppy and I'm god awful. Leave ideas or advice, if you don't mind. I'll update in the morning.

Pinnacle441

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Punchtongs - A learning newb's fortress.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:30:36 pm »

11th Malachite, 126. Mid-summer.

A migrant arrived today, a ranger. I've assigned burrow's and started forming our first military squad, the first thing I did with him, was draft him. Our farm is going well, and we have started construction a bit deeper on some bedrooms, we're in desperate need of more storage space, so once we got the rooms all nice and mined, I'll build a dining hall, then some more storage. I had our designer, who still claims he is not an architect, update the map with our fortress. I've also noticed that no one seems to be bothering installing the traps. When a goblin guts them alive, I'm sure they'll want to set down the traps then.

Here's our main entrance area, you'll see the trade depot, a few laid down traps, and our large stairways. We need to smooth out the area, maybe do some engraving.

Once you head down, you'll see the clearly rushed area, and some rather poorly placed stockpiles. Thieves wonderland, we'll be splitting them up soon enough. We also have our first work hall, where I'll be placing workshops down. Right now, everyone has access to every burrow, but I'll be changing that soon enough, indeed.

Head down a bit deeper, and you got our in-progress bedroom hall. Good thing we built an extra room, otherwise that migrant would be having the dormatory.

13th Malachite, 126, Mid-summer.

Gah, the men informed me that we don't have just a ranger, we got some more men too. We got two more farmers, a wood burner, another ranger, and another woodworker. This brings our population up to thirteen, as if food was low enough, we got more mouths to feed. I'm starting to understand why we got kicked out. I'm ordering a construction of a still and kitchen after our dining hall, I'm starting to feel sober. We'll expand the halls to fit more bedrooms after the dining hall, I've commanded the mason to get to work on tables and thrones

16th Malachite, 126, Mid-summer.

That stupid peasant gave me a hissy fit, when I called him useless and told him he's going into our military. Too bad, we need more men. We have way too many rooms that need to get done, and since the mining is complete for the bedrooms, I'm telling the miners to get to work on the dining hall.

15th Galena, 126, Late Summer

Gaaah, the migrants keep on eating all of our supplies! I'm going to have to order the farms to be expanded, so we have more crops growing.

16th Galena, 126.

Our dining hall is somewhat complete, we need more tables and chairs, and some doors installed, along with the kitchens. But, we can eat proper now.

1st Limestone, 126, Early Autumn

Food continues to run low, I've ordered the construction of three side-rooms for a kitchen, fishery, and a still. We can still manage.

11th Limestone, 126.

We've gotten things done, and we're slowly becoming more stable. The miners started expanding the farm area for me. We're going to be digging down another floor to start a larger more organized stockpile area.

----

In a nutshell, things are going horribly, and I doubt we'll survive the rest of the year.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:59:30 pm »

In a nutshell, things are going horribly, and I doubt we'll survive the rest of the year.

Great!  Sign me up for a dorf then, please!

Name: Silverlock
Profession: Geek

"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:17:30 pm »

You're doing well. Surprisingly well. I find it hard to believe this is your first fort.

You can change labors, you know. V+ p+ l, I believe.

Dorf me as a Ranger. Name him Vendix.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Pinnacle441

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:13:28 pm »

18th Timber, 126, Late Autumn.

More migrants! Our population is now 21. We need to expand the dormatory to fit them all. We now have..

2 miners.
2 woodworkers.
1 stoneworker.
3 rangers.
3 craftdwarves.
1 peasant.
1 fishery worker

and 8 farmers.

This is quite the population, to me, atleast. Once we get the new storage halls done, I'm expanding the dormatory, and then creating more bedrooms. I hope they don't mind the fact that some of them might have to sleep on the floor for a bit.

The caravan just arrived from Egesmomuz arrived! I've told the rangers and peasants to go get our supplies, we'll be wanting to get something out of this.

Bastard's hardly had anything. Nothing we actually needed, or couldn't make ourselves. I told them to return when they had something actually worth giving supplies for.

22nd Timber, 126.

We worked something out for some weapons. They said they look forward to meeting us next year. Yeah, right. Now to get back to work. Get started on those storage halls! The mason complained of actually running out of stone to work with, that's a problem. You'll get plenty-a' rocks by the time we're done.

3rd Moonstone, 126. Early winter.

Winter is here! We got the still going well, so we have plenty of drinks. We have no meat or fish, but with the plump helmets growing, we got plenty to eat now. Even the migrants! I think we will be able to pull through for the rest of the year.

---

I'll update again later, I also named the Dwarves as requested.

ILBane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:07:23 pm »

Stone blocks are your friend. Use them for walls, floors, bridges, and workshops. 1 stone makes 4 blocks, and they weigh a lot less.

Pinnacle441

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:09:53 pm »

I had to upgrade to Windows 8, and since I always clean install (total clean install), I lost the save. Sowwy.