Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Difficulty obtaining candy  (Read 1182 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Difficulty obtaining candy
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:15:57 pm »

So Im trying to get my hands on some candy. I remember their being some way of cooling the magma around a lower level of candy with water, but when I tried to do this, all the water evaporated, leaving me candyless and in danger of clowns. Is there any way to effectively cool large amounts of magma or any other way to get more than 4 pieces of candy per z level?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty obtaining candy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:17:47 pm »

Water's the only way to cool magma.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:27:40 am »

You need to flood the magma with actual water, not just designate a pond zone over it.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:59:04 am »

There are two variations on candy spires in 34.11

The first type has candy tiles between the bottom of the third cavern and the top of the SMR sea.
The second type is only found within the SMR sea.

It is possible to generate massively tall versions of either.

These advanced worldgen parameters will produce large "safe" spires, in that they are primarily NOT within the SMR sea:

Here's a specific world and specific embark that has 103 Z-levels of non-hollow (solid) candy spire, in a 3x2 embark, all of it above the SMR sea (magma/heat free!)

Spoiler: tall safe spires (click to show/hide)

The consequence of all of the above is that the SMR sea (and thusly, magma) is quite far removed from the embark level, vertically.  However, given the relatively close access to such large amounts of candy, there isn't a huge need for magma smelters or forges, typically.