Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quantum Mafia [In Signups] 0/15  (Read 2238 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Quantum Mafia [In Signups] 0/15
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:17:06 pm »

Welcome to Quantum Mafia!
I haven't played much mafia, but I have been reading up on it, and I have a new variant prepared. In this Mafia game you are all sub-atomic particles floating in quantum space. The main factions are the Matter and Antimatter, which each must destroy the other.

Players:
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   
•   

Replacements:
  • RangerCado
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:35:30 am by Remuthra »

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum Mafia [In Signups] 0/15
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:23:26 pm »

i'll be a replacement. i have 3 games already going so a 4th would be silly to commit too. replacing someone later though is completely within my schedule  :)  ciao
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:06:28 am »

I have never seen you mod a game here. Nor has anyone else. It's also generally inadvisable to run a Bastard as a debuting game, because they have a tendency only to be good on paper, are harder not to break, and because they require more trust from the players.

While new mods have to start somewhere (not necessarily with a BM) this is probably not the best way to go about it. I also hope you got the setup looked at by someone (because of the balancing issue); it's always good to have another pair of eyes.

The rules are similar to a regular Mafia game
While your efforts toward brevity are appreciated, it's probably a better idea to include the other rules just so the players know how their moderator will be operating. The "rules" are not universal.

1. I will not be giving you the role PMs, just like in Bastard Mafia. They are secret.

Do you mean that you will not tell players what their roles are in-game, or that the roles are not public?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:04:45 am »

I have never seen you mod a game here. Nor has anyone else. It's also generally inadvisable to run a Bastard as a debuting game, because they have a tendency only to be good on paper, are harder not to break, and because they require more trust from the players.
It's not actually a Bastard Mafia game. It was originally written as a concept for one, but it has actual goals and such. The main difference is that instead of having a scum team and a town team, there are two opposing town teams. I am indeed a new mod.-

While new mods have to start somewhere (not necessarily with a BM) this is probably not the best way to go about it. I also hope you got the setup looked at by someone (because of the balancing issue); it's always good to have another pair of eyes.
I would be happy to let someone help me balance this. What do you recommend?
While your efforts toward brevity are appreciated, it's probably a better idea to include the other rules just so the players know how their moderator will be operating. The "rules" are not universal.
Sure thing.
Do you mean that you will not tell players what their roles are in-game, or that the roles are not public?
I mean that some game hosts list the Role PMs. I'm not going to do that, because the roles are new and this way the players can discover what the roles are. It contributes to the uncertainty that is the core of Mafia.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:14:30 am »

Bastard Mods don't need to have nonspecific goals. The only thing that really separates the two is that a Bastard does not follow the informed minority vs. uninformed majority. There might be key information missing, or everyone's informed, or what have you, but there's something different about it.

But, what you've got is a Closed set-up. That means the roles are not known. That's cool, but since you're a new mod, we reeeeeeeeeally want one of the following:

1) To know the set-up, and therefore verify that it isn't blatantly broken in some way or is fun.
2) Have someone verify the above. I suggest Mephansteras or me, since both of us are longtime mods and never play games.

Otherwise, you're going to have a tough time finding players. And even after this, you'll have a tough time finding players, since you're new and all. I suggest running a type of game that has already existed to test your mod skills. Suggestions are:

1) Beginner's Mafia. Easily the top suggestion by far.
2) Mountainous/Near-Mountainous Mafia. Simple to run, and you can't mess up the roles.
3) Kingmaker Mafia. Tougher, but any mod can help set this up if you need it. This one's easy if you are busy, since a lot of the modding is down time.
4) Standard Werewolf/Mafia. We don't have any basic set-ups here, so this might require some mod help or thinking.
5) Bastard Mod. Difficult, and requires lots of approval to run. If people don't know you, they won't join.
6) BYOR Mafia. Err... Don't do it. It's pretty difficult if you're not used to it.

These are just some starters that'll get your modding career going. You can run any type of mafia you want, but if you want bigger crowds, you need to be well-known. And to get well-known, you've got to start somewhere.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:34:59 am »

Well, since this is a newly thought setup, I'll just change the rules a bit and run a simplified form.

There are 15 players. These are made up of the Matter team, which has two neutrons, two electrons, and two protons, and the Antimatter team, which has two antineutrons, two positrons, and two antiprotons. The other 3 people are random Survivors who ended up in quantum space. Particles of the same charge are informed of each other, and are forbidden from interacting. This means that positrons and protons can not interact with each other, and electrons and positrons can not speak to each other. This includes directly addressing the player in the thread, as well as targeting the player with night actions. The antimatter team wins by destroying all members of the matter team and vice versa. Players of the same charge also count doubly for votes against other players of the same charge. I'll remove the random days and nights for this setup to simplify it. Days are by default three days long, excluding weekends. Vote in red, FoS in blue, you may not edit, and all that usual stuff. Days will procede in

The role PM's are thus:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How does that look?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:50:15 am »

Hmm...

It's okay, but there's nothing substantial holding the game together. This feels like a game of Chess really, except advantages are almost instant wins.

One equal team against another equal team won't work that well in this setting. Now, three equal teams will work, but two won't unless there's a third team that has power to change the game (See Cybrid Mafia, Cult Mafia, etc.)