Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 430807 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Back, and oh boy, it seems we screwed up. Welp. And something I had forgotten got back to me: What if that memory was actually the one which reminded the ghostship to obey the UWM for the "Greater Good" no matter the costs?))

What now? Do I die before the people I hate?

Wake up. I guess.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

(You with us jim?)

The team awakens, bleary eyed and dazed, back in a familiar isolation chamber. The same one they were in the day they arrived.

"Congratulations. It appears you chose correctly. It also appears that you have no long term physical or mental damage. At least none that you didn't come here with."

The speaker's tinny voice makes the team's ears itch.

"We just wanted to thank you personally before we sent you back to your ship. You have been an invaluable asset to the UWM and your actions will not be forgotten. At least not by the crew of this ship."

Before anyone can say anything further the team swoons and passes out as a slurry of drugs is pumped back into their systems. Next thing they can remember is the stasis pods opening inside a shuttle.  They stagger from the hanger into the briefing room, scratching at bandages where nerve nodes used to be. They flop down on the circular benches as steve begins to speak.

>Not a lot to say here, really. I assume you got debriefed by someone in charge over there. Or maybe not. I'm not really sure what to pay you though, since I'm not sure what happened over there. Anyone care to clue me in?

(You can level up now. Also, back to the on ship thread you go. Good work. Hopefully we finished in time for Maurice. )

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Cheers, we were not turned into tang. Looking back, I think it's interesting how our discussion and exchange of ideas actually managed to change opinions: at first most of the group wanted to delete the "Keyboard" memory, but then the votes shifted to the "Burning World" one... Oh shit. I just noticed something.

@Paris: Could we see that quicktopic now that the mission is over?))

"The ghostship tried to fuck us over with black blobs. Several times. We spent a lot of time escaping everything. I'd say Maurice and Gorat did well." Milno said, rubbing the points where the nerve nodes used to go into his right arm.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

((I'd love to know what would have happened if you did the wrong memories.  Would any of them have had extreme side effects besides "Nope, not that one, one more try!" ?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord

Sure. Here. I'll also link it to the first post I mentioned it for historical reasons.

http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/iVMbnfEjNV9h

Edit: Remember, posts are in reverse order: newest posts are at the top, oldest in the bottom.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:25:08 pm by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

((I'd love to know what would have happened if you did the wrong memories.  Would any of them have had extreme side effects besides "Nope, not that one, one more try!" ?))
Well, there were actually 4 ways to end this that I remember (don't have the papers in front of me). They chose the best way. There were two other ways to end it, one that also worked but wasn't as good, and another that caused rampancy. The fourth was if they deleted more then two and it decided that the repair ship was a threat.

If they hadn't destroyed the right one the first time it would have resulted in a rather massive influx of things like blobs, but worse, as well as a sustained series of will checks  against being rather violently "Overridden" by the ghost ship.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I was already putting on my tinfoil hat and crafting conspiracy theories due to massive overthinking.))
>Yes?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Okay, so the less-effective one would possibly be the retrospective one, I think. The one that would cause rampancy would probably have been the removal of the UWM creed or the cheering keyboard for different reasons (most likely the UWM creed one, probably because it would deprive a lot of context for the ship and make it even more confused, though deleting the keyboard probably would have made it forget the Altered Wars were over, also providing a possible reason for going rogue).

Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

((We live! :D))

Gorat nods idly at Milno's short 'summary'. "Maurice's examinations of the memories were instrumental, I'd say."

Sure. Here. I'll also link it to the first post I mentioned it for historical reasons.

http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/iVMbnfEjNV9h
((Thanks for the link. The alien manipulation thing crossed my mind as well, but it never really made sense to bring up, and the thought faded from possibility quickly. As for the 'less good' ending with destroying the contemplating memory, I guess our characters are more success-minded than WPD averse. And I'd guess that our boss may have had a way to monitor or review our discussions.))

Well, there were actually 4 ways to end this that I remember (don't have the papers in front of me). They chose the best way. There were two other ways to end it, one that also worked but wasn't as good, and another that caused rampancy. The fourth was if they deleted more then two and it decided that the repair ship was a threat.

If they hadn't destroyed the right one the first time it would have resulted in a rather massive influx of things like blobs, but worse, as well as a sustained series of will checks  against being rather violently "Overridden" by the ghost ship.
((So I guess, deleting the empty void would be the less good ending, and deleting the metal bench or cheering keyboard would cause the rampage.))
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

(You with us jim?)

(Sorry, due to weather and irl stuff I've been extremely busy and/or without reliable internet since early Friday. ^^^; Uh, leveling... according to my own records Jim should be:
STR: 3 (+1 Prosthesis)
DEX: 5 (+1/3rd, +1 Prosthesis)
END: 3 (+1 Prosthesis)
CHA: 8 (+1/3rd, -1 Class.)
INT: 5 (+1/3rd)
WIL: 20 (+1 1/3rd)

CON: 2 (+1 Prosthesis)
UNC: 2
EXO: 8 (+2/3rd, +1 Class)
AUX: 1
MED: 1
HAN: 0 (-1)
INT: 6 (+2/3rd)
SPC: 0 (-1, -1 Class)
So give me 5 in Willpower and one each in ExoWep, Handiwork, and Speech.)

Jim shrugged. He'd just let Milno handle the debriefing.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile

"Yeah, Milno's got it about summed up" He says as he absentmindedly scratches the bandages "So, I guess we handled being inside the mind of a huge machine that knows only war pretty well huh?"

((I'll post the level-up on ship once the tokens are divided))

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Gorat idly wonders if he should give a more detailed summary, but sees Jim's shrug and resolves to talk to him after this 'debriefing.'

((Level up - +4 Will, +1 Cha, as well as +3 Exotic. That should be the following total:
Stats:
   Strength: 3
   Dexterity: 3
   Endurance: 3
   Charisma: 5
   Intelligence: 4
   Willpower: 12
Skills:
   Speech: 0
   Intuition: 1
   Handiwork: 0 (-1)
   Conventional Weapons: 1
   Unconventional Weapons: 0
   Exotic weapons: 8
   Auxiliary systems: 1 (+1)
   Medical tech: 0
Profession: Grunt (+1 Aux, -1 Handiwork)
Inventory should be: Mk 1 suit, Microwave PK Amp, a bottle of Astro, normal cigarettes, blue smokes, a strange pill, and those nanoghosts. 0 tokens at the moment.
))
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Milno stares at the rest of the group and raises an eyebrow which moves up all the way to hide under the strands of black hair hanging lazily over his face. "If you want to add anything else, do it, by the way. I just tossed the basics in."

((Forgot my current sheet. I'll look it up in the ship thread from my last level up.))
>Yes?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile

"All right, so, what happened was, we were put into the mind of this giant ass monster and we had to delete the memory that was causing a paradox. But after we watched a few memories, these black blobs were like 'I can't let you do that, jim' and started following us to penetrate us with their tendrils. But we still went inside the rest of the momeries and had to escape them a few times. And then the smart people kept having debates over what was causing the paradox while the rest of us looked out for blobs, you know, to avoid penetration. And then we deleted the right one and saved the day!" He finishes, slightly out of breath "I also huffed paint cans a few years back!" He says with a smile, as a closing statement.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile

Milno stares at the rest of the group and raises an eyebrow which moves up all the way to hide under the strands of black hair hanging lazily over his face. "If you want to add anything else, do it, by the way. I just tossed the basics in."

((Forgot my current sheet. I'll look it up in the ship thread from my last level up.))
((Now I feel like I should have posted this earlier. First of all, I have no idea what you guys are doing here, Piecewise told you to go to the ship's thread.

Second, I've posted your inventory and stats several hours ago, so you didn't actually need to research them. Lol.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 243