Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 431194 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 10: This is why we can't have nice things.
« Reply #1740 on: August 19, 2013, 06:32:11 pm »

Okay, Faith, we're kind of in a hurry and need to get more orders from the messenger... Let's move!

Poke Faith out of that common HMRC affliction, get her to lead me to where the Messenger is or tell me how to contact him
Faith dropped her hand onto Skylar's shoulder, a bit roughly, and looked him straight in the eyes.

"I need to go deal with something. What you need to deal with is Stacy's bomb. I would like you to make sure Feyri and Lyra stay safe, but this is more important.

That old guy has a nuke. If it goes off, everyone will die. That includes us. I do not trust him to not use it. I do not think he is actively malicious, but trusting eccentric people to not murder everyone including themselves does not work very well in the HMRC.

Note May.

So that is your job. Get the nuke, keep the nuke safe. I don't want anyone else to have it, because anyone else might be tempted to use it. You seem rational enough to not flatten everything in sight and are aware that would be the effect. That puts you above at least some HMRC and likely anyone outside it.

The rest of the team's orders are the same as always. Attempt to blunt the crowd, without escalating the situation if possible, and fall back if you can't hold them. Remember, this is a tide, not a lone squad. Good luck."

Order Skylar, bolt into the shadows.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: August 19, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »

((Not one but two super difficult space magic actions in the same turn? If you guys want the everything around you annihilated, why not just ask Steve to initiate kinetic bombardment on the crowd?

Funny thing would be if the two actions cancel each other out.

On the other hand these actions suceeding along with Stacy singing about them will lead to a song of ice and fire...))

((Actually if this fails I may just call in Steve.))
(([1] Steve accidentally bombs the palace. There is a moment of silence as the crowd considers who to kill now that their oppressive leaders are dead and the team considers what to do now that the person paying them is dead.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00:44 pm »

((Not one but two super difficult space magic actions in the same turn? If you guys want the everything around you annihilated, why not just ask Steve to initiate kinetic bombardment on the crowd?

Funny thing would be if the two actions cancel each other out.

On the other hand these actions suceeding along with Stacy singing about them will lead to a song of ice and fire...))

((Actually if this fails I may just call in Steve.))

((O Steve, may you bring your shining light of goodness and mercy from above.  Amen.

Except I think the ordinance Steve is packing would flatten the city and everything in a very large radius around it.  Also, he doesn't appear to be one to respond to requests like that... though the thought of asking him so is pretty funny.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: August 19, 2013, 09:51:09 pm »

wait for all HMRC personnel to be inside the gate, then shut it. If we have people staying outside the gate, don't shut it unless they get overrun. If they get overrun, shut the gate.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:23:36 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: August 19, 2013, 11:10:15 pm »

((Except I think the ordinance Steve is packing would flatten the city and everything in a very large radius around it.  Also, he doesn't appear to be one to respond to requests like that... though the thought of asking him so is pretty funny.))

((Mission 3, I do believe.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: August 20, 2013, 02:49:03 am »

Okay, Faith, we're kind of in a hurry and need to get more orders from the messenger... Let's move!

Poke Faith out of that common HMRC affliction, get her to lead me to where the Messenger is or tell me how to contact him
Faith dropped her hand onto Skylar's shoulder, a bit roughly, and looked him straight in the eyes.

"I need to go deal with something. What you need to deal with is Stacy's bomb. I would like you to make sure Feyri and Lyra stay safe, but this is more important.

That old guy has a nuke. If it goes off, everyone will die. That includes us. I do not trust him to not use it. I do not think he is actively malicious, but trusting eccentric people to not murder everyone including themselves does not work very well in the HMRC.

Note May.

So that is your job. Get the nuke, keep the nuke safe. I don't want anyone else to have it, because anyone else might be tempted to use it. You seem rational enough to not flatten everything in sight and are aware that would be the effect. That puts you above at least some HMRC and likely anyone outside it.

The rest of the team's orders are the same as always. Attempt to blunt the crowd, without escalating the situation if possible, and fall back if you can't hold them. Remember, this is a tide, not a lone squad. Good luck."

... Alright then. Luck to us both.

Run back to the gate, check the scout eye feed to see how terribly this is going.

Look around for Lyra, Feyri, and Stacy. Try and remember which nuke Stacy has and what the effective range of it is
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:51:54 am by Kriellya »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: August 20, 2013, 04:16:27 am »

Stacy remembered something. Something important. He decided to radio the team after momentarily switching to dancing.

To everyone over radio:
"Hey, if anyone's down there with the guards, maybe you'd like to tell them to stop moving forward - shit might get dangerous for that crowd, I suspect."

((Slightly edited my action - had a cooler and possibly better idea.))
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:22:30 am by Harry Baldman »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: August 20, 2013, 04:43:35 am »

Charles moves to Feyri's location and remotely uses his turret's scope to look for choke points the crowd would have to travel through.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1748 on: August 20, 2013, 01:24:42 pm »

"Ooh, ooh! Idea!"

Stacy begins to sing a tune.

"Raindrops keep fallin' on my head, and just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed, nothin' seems to fit. Raindrops keep fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'..."

Head up on the wall, then cool a sphere of air three meters in diameter approximately 100 meters above where the crowd o' rebels is right now (not following along with their movements, just where they are at the time I begin) to a temperature of 2 kelvins, hopefully solidifying it rather rather nicely. Note: this is not actually aimed to kill anyone, only distract, and the location is not to be adjusted for any reason.

Get a good view of the stairs. Then utilize manipulator to rapidly cool (to about 2 kelvins, solidifiying the air's various components) a horizontally-oriented cylinder of air that's about the length of the stairs and about 2 meters in diameter at the top of the stairs or, if the guards have moved past that point, slightly in front of the guards.

Stacy really hoped this would work.

Heh. Well, here's the thing, stacy: That stairway is at least a half mile long. Probably longer. I'm pretty sure I said something to that effect at some point, plus the amount of time it's taking people to get up it and the fact that they're described as little black dots as they start up the stairs should really have been a clue. So.

You run up to the gate and enter in the rather massive proportions of the effected area. The calculations begin easy but quickly become nearly impossible; scrolling by so fast you can barely keep up; until you can't keep up at all. You just start entering in what looks right, sweat dripping from your brow as the numbers fly by too fast for you to even comprehend. Finally, the onslaught of math ends and the "EXECUTE?" prompt comes up. You hit the button without even thinking about it. The Manipulator beeps, squeals and then begins to howl out a siren. The metal surface of the box instantly freezes over and you hurl it away from you as the suit begins to freeze and you feel your hand go numb. The machine arcs out down the stairs; trailing a dry ice like fog behind it. It lands between the charging groups of the Guards and the Populace, vanishing amongst them as they clash.

You cradle your hand, now alive with freezer burn pain, and run back into the palace, screaming for your team to close the gates and assume the "We're all fucked" position.

Hmm. That sounds bad.

Go over to where May is and begin to burn the peasants in the legs so they fall. Casualties are not a concern.
Chuck the empty gun at them using the Kinetic Amplifier. Then run back.
May, despite her nonsensical behavior, has survived several missions. In fact, she was practically at ground zero during the China-9 Event and survived only because of her skill with a field manipulator. So when she sees Stacy's manipulator arcing gently over her head, spraying spontaneously generating superfluid hydrogen, she realizes whats about to happen.

May drops her gun, turns on her heel and runs. Runs straight up the short length of stairs, grabs Xan as he runs out to meet her, and runs into the palace compound. She doesn't stop running until she reaches the barracks and hides behind it.

Go back to the gate and just watch and record the fight from a safe spot. If not possible, enter BT mode. Slash any enemy who attacks, go always for the weak spot and retreat.

You run back up to the gate and are turning to face any followers when May shoves her way right past you. You're about to say something when you hear Stacy's screaming over the radio and decide that it might be best if you run.

Get Ms. Feyri's attention somehow. Hopefully in a way that embarrasses Tiruin more than me. Ideally in a way that embarrasses no one at all. Optimally, Tiruin shows up.
You start screaming at Feyri to wake up. You poke her in the ribs and slap at her legs and shake her as best you can with your little arms. She just keeps standing there, blankly staring forward.

Note May.

You give your final orders to Skylar and then sprint away, synthflesh legs propelling you forward with enough force that you leave footprint shaped divots in the cobblestone roads.

wait for all HMRC personnel to be inside the gate, then shut it. If we have people staying outside the gate, don't shut it unless they get overrun. If they get overrun, shut the gate.

As soon as Renen scampers in, you activate the wench system. The massive doors groan and then slowly swing shut; thudding to a stop with a rumble that shakes the entire wall.

Note May.

... Alright then. Luck to us both.

Run back to the gate, check the scout eye feed to see how terribly this is going.

Look around for Lyra, Feyri, and Stacy. Try and remember which nuke Stacy has and what the effective range of it is

You run back to the gate and stacy runs right past you. You check your Cameye and can immediately see why he's running, and why that nuke is probably not the biggest of your problems.

Charles moves to Feyri's location and remotely uses his turret's scope to look for choke points the crowd would have to travel through.
No more choke point because the gate is now closed. But thats probably not the issue here, is it?

The Manipulator, hidden by the crowd, cracks apart like a balloon filled with liquid nitrogen and pure, unadulterated cold pours out. It's beyond cold as the team comprehends it; it's a black nuke, an expanding mass of anti-energy that draws in every bit of energy from around it. The mob and the guards vanish into a black point so cold that light itself can't move; a gravity-less black hole. Around it, the world turns gray and hardens; reduced so close to absolute zero that it appears as though time within the effected area has just stopped, atomic motion reduced to basically nothing. The hydrogen in the air turns metallic. Beyond that, almost to the wall, the air solidifies and sprays of superfluid hydrogen and liquid oxygen and ice with a crystal lattice so dense and powerfully bonded that it would take thermite to melt it, burst out and splatter the wall and the inner area of the First level of the palace.

And the effect is expanding.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 10: Ice 9
« Reply #1749 on: August 20, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »

((I love you guys.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1750 on: August 20, 2013, 01:31:47 pm »

((Yeah! Awesome.

Well, now we can safely conclude that the mission will soon be over. One way or the other.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: August 20, 2013, 01:33:06 pm »

((Ooo, ooh, idea!  Use the nuke to counteract the cold!))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1752 on: August 20, 2013, 01:36:09 pm »

((They could use a second manipulator if they have one. Or failing that, toss Xan in the anomaly while he's trying something ultrahard with his amp.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: August 20, 2013, 01:39:27 pm »

((Cue jokes about keeping your cool, staying frosty, chilling out, and the fact that they still have a guy with a nuke amongst them being icing on the cake.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: August 20, 2013, 01:40:43 pm »

((This was what I was hoping for when I said we should use field manipulators to put out the fire. But you know, I'm happy to have it go this way too.
Although it does beg a question of why HMRC allows us to use these things, if they don't expect this to happen every time.

So do you think this is going to kill enough for them to stop starving?))
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:43:00 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 243