Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 437000 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 11: UE and SW Hunters
« Reply #2490 on: November 10, 2013, 10:15:03 pm »

(( Did all of our fliers on the SW team head below ground? Cause if so, I might have to change my action to be 'let out someone on top of that LESHO tube' ))
((Well, if I had kept waiting for other people to do stuff, I'd be stuck up there forever. You're free to send someone borrow my battlesuit if you want.))
((Why in the HELL would you leave behind your battlesuit? What possible logic could there be for that?

"Oh I think the extremely well trained super-snipers with mind control powers totally need to catch a break. I mean its not like they would have stood anything RESEMBLING a chance against a guy in a metal suit with a shiv and spitballs."))
((I think it didn't quite fit in the four foot tall tunnels.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2491 on: November 10, 2013, 10:34:11 pm »

((I think it might actually be safer to stay outside the battlesuit. I can carry the same weapons, I'm a smaller target, I'm less of a danger to my teammates. And I've got the shield that can protect me from gauss rifles. If I had the battlesuit, they could still mind control me and a LESHO round would go through battlesuit plate like it was tissue paper. Not to mention that I could trigger the claymore defense system if mind-controlled and go boom among my teammates. The only important thing I'm missing are the cameyes.))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 10, 2013, 10:35:47 pm »

((....I kinda missed the "four foot tunnel" part....oops :P))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 11, 2013, 09:45:19 am »

((I think it might actually be safer to stay outside the battlesuit. I can carry the same weapons, I'm a smaller target, I'm less of a danger to my teammates. And I've got the shield that can protect me from gauss rifles. If I had the battlesuit, they could still mind control me and a LESHO round would go through battlesuit plate like it was tissue paper. Not to mention that I could trigger the claymore defense system if mind-controlled and go boom among my teammates. The only important thing I'm missing are the cameyes.))

((You better make sure you don't lose Gilgamesh though.

And I'm pretty sure a a battlesuit will protect you reasonably well (as reasonable as one might expect when dealing with high-end CON weapons) from Lesho shots as long as they don't detonate point-blank; or if non-nuclear, hit you in a bad spot. You might be out of the game for the mission, but you might survive and keep Gilgamesh in a repairable condition. Remember the rocket pack, it can carry you up and away fast from incoming rounds. And in case of mind control, ask Steve to lock up or shut down your suit, like how he helped Miya when he was taken over. But yes, small tunnels are still a major pain in the ass, so maybe ask Steve if there are bigger 'main tunnels' Flint could cover with Gilgamesh.

I mean, really, we've got three sweep teams, yet the only ones doing anything so far are the Rapid Response team (and Lars team as of last turn or so.), so get them to do it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:48:21 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 11, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »

((It's good the 504 error plague has scampered back into the darkest recesses of the Pit, though.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2495 on: November 11, 2013, 12:47:21 pm »

"Fuck it. Flint, I'm going in for a bit to check things out a little. Go get someone who can fit in with me while I wait a bit inside. I'm not going to go too far in but please run."

Bishop gulped and blinked away a bead of sweat that was running into his eye.

"I sure hope he hasn't had enough time to lay too many traps..."

Switch to the gauss rifle and reload it. Then, VERY CAUTIOUSLY, slowly head into the tunnels a little ways, carefully checking the walls for anything that looks like a sensor or trap as I go like my life depends on it. If there's someone who can fit in the tunnels with me nearby, go get them and bring them with me, letting them go first. Don't go further than the first corner, fork, junction or more than 10 meters in and don't stick my head around any corners.
I get the the sense that bishop may be a little bit nervous. Dare I say, afraid?

You reload your rifle and very VERY carefully advance down the hall, inching forward like you're crossing a thin sheet of ice over a field of landmines. Steve lets you know once you've entered the sensor deadzone in earnest and you look around.  You find what appears to be a sensor pit: A small hole drilled in the wall where a sensor array would usually be inserted. Judging from the scratches around the hole, the sensor appears to have been removed rather roughly, with unsophisticated tools.

Frankly, it looks like someone dug it out with a screwdriver.

Turn on flashlights or something. Look down tunnel then follow anyone who takes the lead.

"Maybe we should turn our lights on?"
You flip on your headlamps and wait for your team to do...anything...

"No offense or anything guys, but I'd prefer to get this over with, one way or another."

Any fliers still on the surface, we have another LESHO tube. Looks unfinished, if one of you want to check it out for salvage and clues. Going to setup a search pattern centered on that point.

Steve, are these tubes generally how SW's fire LESHO rounds? Or do they have a LESHO rifle as well, or some other means to fire them without the setup time?

Love asking Steve questions, rest of action modified. Question still relevant :P

>No, normally they use a rifle. These tubes are curious; they could be a way to put an active defense on certain areas of the building and were just unfinished. Or they could be here to fool us into thinking there's an SW when there isn't one. Which is honestly the best case scenario.

"Hrmmmmmm. Where to go.... Lets check out that anomalous heat source. Could you direct us Steve?"

Get directions to the strange heat source, and head out, using my metal pole to check for traps.

((Traps 2: Return of the Pole.))
The directions, unsurprisingly, coincide with the trail of molten metal on the ground. You follow it it through the cramped tunnels, slowly catching up on whatever is making it The trail of metal slag goes from cooled to slightly molten as you continue, and small, molten gashes appear in the walls.

>The heat source is still moving. I don't have cameras down this far, but from what I can tell it seems to be randomly damaging things on the way, and not moving towards anything in particular. I'm beginning to think this might be a repair drone with some brain damage, so to speak.

"dear god people, do you see this? Those buttons aren't beeping and flashing like good buttons should, I mean come on buttons! What would holographic display say if she saw you like this?!truly dissapionting really.
tsk and sigh at today's state of button affairs, then follow everyone else, especially cuthulu face.
You shake your head disapprovingly at the buttons. You remember the good old days. The days on the moon base, when things made sense.

You shrug, sadly, and follow the rest of your team.

(I love that clip by the way. Probably the most accurate portrayal of the HMRC in movies ever.)

"Hrmmmmmm. Where to go.... Lets check out that anomalous heat source. Could you direct us Steve?"

Get directions to the strange heat source, and head out, using my metal pole to check for traps.

Still following the Pirate, not letting him run off alone despite his repeated attempts to do so.
You stick with the pirate as he delves deep into the undermachine.

"Hey, Steve, can we flank that section of tunnels?

Try to come at the tunnel area from another side (if possible), staying out of the way of friendly line of fire.
I'd ask which tunnels, but really, unless you want to spend an hour wandering off on your own before heading down and then back for a while, flanking is gonna be pretty hard. Unless you have a tunnel bore.

((Poles have a long and honorable history of helping us in a way or another.))

>I've got a few curious sensory readings. One being a Series of doors being opened and left that way, precluding it from being any sort of automated system, since they would close doors. Second being a strange heat signature, and the last being a loss of signal for a sensor array.

"Well, let me see..."

Get a map from Steve if necessary, and check where the series of doors being opened can lead to - how many options someone heading that way has. If it can ultimately lead only to one final destination, then send a message to the group - "Heading to [insert place], only possible path for whatever is opening the doors." - and head there to take a look.
Unfortunately the doors aren't all opening along a single straight path with only one end point. Rather they're tracing a rather erratic path that even seems to branch off for a few doors before continuing on a different way.

"Fuck it. Flint, I'm going in for a bit to check things out a little. Go get someone who can fit in with me while I wait a bit inside. I'm not going to go too far in but please run."
"Fuck that shit man. I don't need a battlesuit to kick that guy's ass." said Flint, pressing the release button and removing his arms from the control cuffs. "Just stay close and keep your eyes open." He checked his equipment. Mining laser, check, monoatomic razor, check, smoke grenades, check, monitoring equipment, check, assorted crap, check. Let's get the bastard. "Just wish I could take the cameyes..."

Get out of the battlesuit, lock it (do they have alarms?) and go into the tunnel with Bishop, shield ready. Proceed forward alone if he's too scared to follow me.
I can still carry the mining laser, right? It's got cutting laser stats so that means a STR requirement of 5, right?

Actually no. The Mining laser is a much rougher, heavier thing. As is the Battle suit shield. You really can't lift either of them as you are, without your exoskeleton.

Wait for my team to do something.
Hey TCM, you ever seen Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai?

Also this.

Follow Kriyella's lead
You...continue to be inside the blackship. Although you do mime skylar's actions and parrot his words in a way that is...well you think it's flattering.

(( Alright then XD ))

Looks like all the fliers have left the sky. Wonderful. Alright, Blackship squad, I'm going to approach that unfinished Gauss catapult. Jump out and take a look, I'll come back for you if there's nothing interesting about it.

Approach the roof at a level safe to jump to it, or the edge of the roof if I don't think I can get low enough to the roof. Let some of my crew out, then accelerate off into a search pattern.

Closely watch the roof while approaching. Do not continue if I see any movement.

[aux:3+1]
You bring the ship in for a close flyby and end up over steering a bit. The ship thuds into the top of the tower with a metallic crunch. You look over your sensors in dismay, prepared for the worst but it seems like the crush you heard came from the roof, since the ship itself looks fine. Huh.

"Well...I guess this means no one has to jump at least. Alright, someone get out there and look around for us."

"Roger that."

Let Skylar drop me on the roof, try to get a good look at the surroundings.

Spoiler: Gorat 'Chin' Ivanos (click to show/hide)
You step out of the ship and onto the roof of the tower. The roof itself is basically nothing but a semi-gently sloping cone placed atop the tower itself, devoid of anything that interesting. You don't see a way up onto it, though you reason they're probably a hatch on the other side that lets you up from inside the tower. As per the tube...well...you ever seen Wizard of oz? Blackship is to house what tube is to witch. There's only about half of it left.

"I'm gonna have to fail you on the parallel parking portion of this test, skylar."

Good question... Stay aboard for now, recover that brain some more. If they find a trail to follow I'll come back and drop you. It will probably depend on Steve's answer, as to whether or not the SW's can fire LESHO rounds at will. If they can't, then as soon as we sweep the rest of the area and confirm that there are no more catapults, I'll be reasonably convinced that the threat of LESHO fire is over, since the SW would essentially have to reveal himself to setup and fire.

"Aye aye, captn'. Snoozing on."

"Really, you attack once and you're already sleeping? Pathetic."

Snooze on, keep recharging brain. Wonder how sleeping in a robobody works.
I think it involves a screen saver.

((I'm...relatively sure this is where I'm supposed to be? I'm with Lars' team. If I'm in the wrong thread please tell me))

((Yeah, you're good))

Lars peers into the hole.  "We must follow divine commands."

Lead the team slowly through the tunnel.  Lars first, with Xan close behind using his eye-things to scout the tunnel.  Use pole that I think we all have to poke around in front.
The trail goes from literally cold to hot but you still don't catch up to the source of the mysterious melting.

*glick* Very well then, though there's nothing up 'till the bend.

Slither along behind Lars, alerting him to any hostile things. Be a better scout eye than those mechanical ones!
You follow along behind lars, being careful not to accidentally slither though any molten metal.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 11, 2013, 01:01:11 pm »

Follow lars. Keep shot gun ready while looking out for any hidden threats.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 11, 2013, 01:39:10 pm »

Keep attempting to follow Ms. Feyri despite her lack of movement. Be tired of not ever doing anything helpful. Contemplate sneaking back to the ship for science stuff if we don't get moving soon.

Hint hint, Lenglon.
Unless I missed something?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 11, 2013, 02:22:21 pm »

>No, normally they use a rifle. These tubes are curious; they could be a way to put an active defense on certain areas of the building and were just unfinished. Or they could be here to fool us into thinking there's an SW when there isn't one. Which is honestly the best case scenario.

[@Steve] That would be good. Almost too good to hope for. I don't suppose the data from the blackship could indicate that the SW is a deception? Maybe an anomaly in the equipment manifest? Cause that data is now the only indication we have that there's a SW here, and I can move the blackship a lot more freely if there's no SW waiting to bear down on me with a LESHO rifle. Worse than that, if there *is* a SW here, and these tubes could be setup by the UE's or controlled Sods, we have no leads on the SW and probably won't have any unless he acts.

[@Crew] ... Sorry about that. I don't suppose they left the LESHO round for that tube? Take a look around and see if there's any sort of trail off the roof we could follow, or maybe something on the tube we could use to trace the controller. If there isn't, let's clear out of here and do some more sweeps. Maybe we can try and figure out where that heat signature is trying to go and head him off.

Continue conversing with Steve! Watch carefully for incoming LESHO fire, be prepared to accelerate away if I see any.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:25:08 pm by Kriellya »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 11, 2013, 02:27:45 pm »

Whatever is erratically opening doors is either a magnificent bastard with a plan or a mind-controlled worker creating a dynamic, false lead. "Steve, if I wanted to send a message off-world in this current situation, where would I go? And in case I wanted to cause as much damage as possible to the complex?" Milno asks, trying to make a sense of things.

Ask Steve, head to the place indicated. If no place is indicated, then land upon the Sword's cage.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:30:00 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: November 11, 2013, 02:38:17 pm »

"Great. Exactly how effective would my rifle be against this repair bot, because I assume it's built to take a beating? If it even is a repair bot. Dammit, why can't the spooks just give up. Make it easy on both of us."

Continue following the molten trail, using my trusty metal pole to check for traps.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 11, 2013, 03:23:57 pm »

"Great. Exactly how effective would my rifle be against this repair bot, because I assume it's built to take a beating? If it even is a repair bot. Dammit, why can't the spooks just give up. Make it easy on both of us."

Continue following the molten trail, using my trusty metal pole to check for traps.
"mrow"
Turn around and walk away. go to the top of the tower the SW was last known to be at. take my time and attempt to isolate and begin to follow his smell.

For Feyri:
Quote from: Feyri to Steve
It seems clear that the SW is making a lot of decoys on the opposite end of the area from the Sword. if the control room is of no value, what is the risk of the SW attempting to sneak into the Sword while we're busy? also, what could he do in the AI core?
"Grate, I need you to find out what the Shadow Walker is after. or figure out a way to scan for radio signals and triangulate where they are coming from. For some reason he has activated a lot of decoys as far away from here as he can."
Questions for Steve and Grate.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 11, 2013, 04:02:40 pm »

hmmm, alright then, look around on the computer of the ship if it has one, look at any important files or something.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: November 11, 2013, 04:14:24 pm »

"How do I do that?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 11, 2013, 04:20:59 pm »

hmmm, alright then, look around on the computer of the ship if it has one, look at any important files or something.

(( The ship computer has been stripped. That was a question directly for Steve, he has all the relelvant data. ))
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 243