Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435641 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3345 on: January 20, 2014, 06:17:27 pm »

((Piecewise asked "what kind of armaments are we giving it?" that implies i have some access to free/temporary weapons.

Again, it is not a personal project. It was built by Auron (and his faithful helpers) for the betterment of our combined combat capabilities, the intention was to give Aux focused characters with no combat skills the ability to effectively engage in combat.

Railguns are just scaled up gauss cannons and piecewise stated we can manufacture armaments, no one said anything about a LESHO rifle.

Non artillery PAC is fine, most of the time im gonna be able to see what needs killing anyway. Also im pretty sure its not a beam, although a beam would be more awesome.

I missed the non scaling HEP restriction, easily fixable with weapon replacement.

Avatar inspired armor, not avatar plate. How many times do i gotta post that?

Maybe i went a little overboard with the number of pd lasers and i guess the swords are unneccessary, but keep in mind these are not bigass anti shipkiller missile pd turrets, they are piddly little anti ground to air missile pd turrets.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: January 20, 2014, 06:31:37 pm »

((One easy way to end this argument would be asking Steve directly in character if you can have guns for the spidermech.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: January 20, 2014, 06:57:27 pm »

Again, it is not a personal project. It was built by Auron (and his faithful helpers) for the betterment of our combined combat capabilities, the intention was to give Aux focused characters with no combat skills the ability to effectively engage in combat.
((And how many people, let alone people in charge, did you actually ask about building this behemoth? Asking them to help scrounge for parts doesn't count, since you didn't say what they were for.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: January 20, 2014, 07:10:36 pm »

((And how many people, let alone people in charge, did you actually ask about building this behemoth? Asking them to help scrounge for parts doesn't count, since you didn't say what they were for.))
((Its called a surprise unveiling  ;D))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: January 20, 2014, 07:16:49 pm »

((Its called a surprise unveiling  ;D))
((You can't exactly call it anything but a personal project if you don't have the aid, approval, or even knowledge of anyone else.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: January 20, 2014, 07:25:41 pm »

((Auron sent out a message to everyone asking for help building a mech. It is in no way secret.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: January 20, 2014, 07:27:26 pm »

((Well, how can you call it anything but personal project if you don't have others' aid or approval, and loads of people assume the higher-ups are going to shut it down? Because that's what Grate's doing, and I'm pretty sure that's why a bunch of folks are ignoring it.))
Sig

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: January 20, 2014, 09:57:41 pm »

((Well, how can you call it anything but personal project if you don't have others' aid or approval, and loads of people assume the higher-ups are going to shut it down? Because that's what Grate's doing, and I'm pretty sure that's why a bunch of folks are ignoring it.))

((With the objection of the higher-ups. The only one who's disposition is unknown is Steve, Simus told Anton that no salvage was to be taken for unsanctioned use. And Anton relayed that order fairly clearly (not to mention directly to Auron, who proceeded to ignore him).

Steve's the only one who can override either of us (well, me, really. Overriding me is overriding Anton, since I put Anton in charge). And I think Steve is leaving issues like that to those he put in command (Hint: That person objects, not to this project, but to the entire idea of using salvage without permission, like this project is doing, thus objecting to this project without even knowing about it on principle. The person that person put in charge for an operation while she has other business agrees with her).))
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:17:30 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: January 20, 2014, 10:34:08 pm »

((Auron was signed on for the survey mission, Simus ceased being in charge of Auron when the survey was completed and official command of this installation is still in Steves metaphorical hands, what Auron does with his free time in the scrapyard is not your concern as he complied with Antons request to leave the ships marked for recovery alone.

Steve has access to all Auron communications and has not made any comments or given any orders related to the cessation of construction of a mobile weapons platform to be used in the defence of said installation.

Steve told us to make preparations for the coming battle, making a mech for use in said battle is congruent with those orders, Steve outranks you.
Therefore, making a mech out of scrap to fulfill Steves orders takes precedence over following the instructions of a mechaphobic teammate with delusions of authority.

Seriously pyro, im getting real tired of these "i said no and if you ignore me im gonna keep complaining and threatening you until you comply" arguments. This is a game and im trying to enjoy it, Leave me be.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: January 20, 2014, 10:35:46 pm »

Steve has access to all Auron communications and has not made any comments or given any orders related to the cessation of construction of a mobile weapons platform to be used in the defence of said installation.
((How often does Steve ever give direct orders except at the beginning of missions and when asked?))

Steve told us to make preparations for the coming battle, making a mech for use in said battle is congruent with those orders, Steve outranks you.
Therefore, making a mech out of scrap to fulfill Steves orders takes precedence over following the instructions of a mechaphobic teammate with delusions of authority.
((Did Steve say that the mech would in any way help? Did you ask for confirmation?))

Seriously pyro, im getting real tired of these "i said no and if you ignore me im gonna keep complaining and threatening you until you comply" arguments. This is a game and im trying to enjoy it, Leave me be.))
((The point here is more "Don't expect help from Steve/the Armory/etc."))
Sig

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: January 20, 2014, 10:42:22 pm »

"Alright, give me a moment... And Steve says we can use basically anything in the armoury, but we should be prudent since supplies are somewhat limited right now."

Go ahead and hop in VR and give Anton's ships a good look over, looking for any weaknesses or faults in the design.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: January 20, 2014, 11:31:35 pm »

((
((Auron was signed on for the survey mission, Simus ceased being in charge of Auron when the survey was completed and official command of this installation is still in Steves metaphorical hands, what Auron does with his free time in the scrapyard is not your concern as he complied with Antons request to leave the ships marked for recovery alone.))

No. Just no.

Simus Team:
Survey the remains of the base, mark out dangerous areas, follow steve's instructions to check vital stuff and repair or stabilize if damaged but not destroyed. (THIS IS NOT THE GROUP STAYING ON PLANET PERMANENTLY. THAT'S LATER. The reason Simus is doing this is so she can get a bit more familiar with the locale though.)
Goodies:
Big ass box of Repair tools, climbing gear, Rad Suits for the pit, various sensors, etc.

Salvage, noun:
a. The rescue of a ship, its crew, or its cargo from fire or shipwreck.
b. The ship, crew, or cargo so rescued.
c. Compensation given to those who voluntarily aid in such a rescue.
a. The act of saving imperiled property from loss.
b. The property so saved.
3. Something saved from destruction or waste and put to further use.

The team, defined by the GM is, by definition, a survey and salvage team. It did not dissolve upon the cessation of majority survey work and the beginning of salvage work, it was, and is, still in effect. Simus is still your senior officer, and Anton is her lieutenant in charge of salvage operations.

((Steve has access to all Auron communications and has not made any comments or given any orders related to the cessation of construction of a mobile weapons platform to be used in the defence of said installation.))

A lack of denial is not assent. And he wouldn't be going to you directly anyways unless it was requested, by you, me, or Anton. See my explanation of chain of command.

((Steve told us to make preparations for the coming battle, making a mech for use in said battle is congruent with those orders, Steve outranks you.
Therefore, making a mech out of scrap to fulfill Steves orders takes precedence over following the instructions of a mechaphobic teammate with delusions of authority.))

I don't see anything anywhere where Steve said, and Auron heard, anything of that nature, related to our current duty.

And now, let me introduce to you the concept of Chain of Command, or Command Hierarchy (and keep in mind that with this rebellion, the game is shifting towards a more militaristic stance):
In a military context, the chain of command is the line of authority and responsibility along which orders are passed within a military unit and between different units. Orders are transmitted down the chain of command, from a higher-ranked soldier, such as a commissioned officer, to lower-ranked personnel who either execute the order personally or transmit it down the chain as appropriate, until it is received by those expected to execute it.

In general, military personnel give orders only to those directly below them in the chain of command and receive orders only from those directly above them. A service member who has difficulty executing a duty or order and appeals for relief directly to an officer above his immediate commander in the chain of command is likely to be disciplined for not observing the chain of command. Similarly, an officer is usually expected to give orders only to his or her direct subordinate, even if it is just to pass an order down to another service member lower in the chain of command than said subordinate.

Steve has actually followed this basic idea for most of the game, letting teams and commanders, assigned or elected, make decisions, only giving of himself when asked or in need.

Now, our chain of command in this situation is short, but slightly tangled: Steve is in charge, overall. Simus is directly underneath Steve. Anton is beneath both Simus and Steve, but only for salvage operations. Everyone else, including you, is beneath Simus and Anton.

((Seriously pyro, im getting real tired of these "i said no and if you ignore me im gonna keep complaining and threatening you until you comply" arguments. This is a game and im trying to enjoy it, Leave me be.))

I am not going to stoop to ad hominem here (which you just did, in that post - not even just this specific snippet). But I will note that, for the most part, I have stayed out of this IC. Simus has no knowledge of what you're doing, and has done nothing against it itself (only to the concept, and even that was not direct). I have kept my OOC discourse civil enough on the topic as well, I think. Perhaps a bit condescending, but still civil.))
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:40:43 pm by PyroDesu »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: January 20, 2014, 11:45:52 pm »

((The chain of command is only with the characters, not the players themselves. Simus has the right to tell Auron not to build a mech. PyroDesu has no right to tell UnholyPariah not to build a mech.

Besides, building a mech is way more interesting than not building a mech. Even if it's not a good idea. Bad ideas make the best stories. And who knows, it might actually work and be an asset in the war.))

Edit:
((Maybe it would be a good idea for you guys to take this to PMs.))
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:51:10 pm by NAV »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: January 20, 2014, 11:53:09 pm »

((The chain of command is only with the characters, not the players themselves. Simus has the right to tell Auron not to build a mech. PyroDesu has no right to tell UnholyPariah not to build a mech.

Besides, building a mech is way more interesting than not building a mech. Even if it's not a good idea. Bad ideas make the best stories. And who knows, it might actually work and be an asset in the war.))

Edit:

((Except I haven't told him not to OOC, with any expectation of power from doing so, to my knowledge. I've merely expressed dissent with the idea, and likely IC ramifications if Simus finds out. If I've said OOC, "Don't do that", it's been me saying, implied (or more likely, just after), "Don't do that, if Simus finds out, you're going to be in trouble for it".

If it seems I have told him OOC without backing it up IC, I apologize for it.))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:02:10 am by PyroDesu »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: January 21, 2014, 12:09:32 am »

((
((Auron was signed on for the survey mission, Simus ceased being in charge of Auron when the survey was completed and official command of this installation is still in Steves metaphorical hands, what Auron does with his free time in the scrapyard is not your concern as he complied with Antons request to leave the ships marked for recovery alone.))

No. Just no.

Simus Team:
Survey the remains of the base, mark out dangerous areas, follow steve's instructions to check vital stuff and repair or stabilize if damaged but not destroyed. (THIS IS NOT THE GROUP STAYING ON PLANET PERMANENTLY. THAT'S LATER. The reason Simus is doing this is so she can get a bit more familiar with the locale though.)
Goodies:
Big ass box of Repair tools, climbing gear, Rad Suits for the pit, various sensors, etc.

Salvage, noun:
a. The rescue of a ship, its crew, or its cargo from fire or shipwreck.
b. The ship, crew, or cargo so rescued.
c. Compensation given to those who voluntarily aid in such a rescue.
a. The act of saving imperiled property from loss.
b. The property so saved.
3. Something saved from destruction or waste and put to further use.

The team, defined by the GM is, by definition, a survey and salvage team. It did not dissolve upon the cessation of majority survey work and the beginning of salvage work, it was, and is, still in effect. Simus is still your senior officer, and Anton is her lieutenant in charge of salvage operations.

((Steve has access to all Auron communications and has not made any comments or given any orders related to the cessation of construction of a mobile weapons platform to be used in the defence of said installation.))

A lack of denial is not assent. And he wouldn't be going to you directly anyways unless it was requested, by you, me, or Anton. See my explanation of chain of command.

((Steve told us to make preparations for the coming battle, making a mech for use in said battle is congruent with those orders, Steve outranks you.
Therefore, making a mech out of scrap to fulfill Steves orders takes precedence over following the instructions of a mechaphobic teammate with delusions of authority.))

I don't see anything anywhere where Steve said, and Auron heard, anything of that nature, related to our current duty.

And now, let me introduce to you the concept of Chain of Command, or Command Hierarchy (and keep in mind that with this rebellion, the game is shifting towards a more militaristic stance):
In a military context, the chain of command is the line of authority and responsibility along which orders are passed within a military unit and between different units. Orders are transmitted down the chain of command, from a higher-ranked soldier, such as a commissioned officer, to lower-ranked personnel who either execute the order personally or transmit it down the chain as appropriate, until it is received by those expected to execute it.

In general, military personnel give orders only to those directly below them in the chain of command and receive orders only from those directly above them. A service member who has difficulty executing a duty or order and appeals for relief directly to an officer above his immediate commander in the chain of command is likely to be disciplined for not observing the chain of command. Similarly, an officer is usually expected to give orders only to his or her direct subordinate, even if it is just to pass an order down to another service member lower in the chain of command than said subordinate.

Steve has actually followed this basic idea for most of the game, letting teams and commanders, assigned or elected, make decisions, only giving of himself when asked or in need.

Now, our chain of command in this situation is short, but slightly tangled: Steve is in charge, overall. Simus is directly underneath Steve. Anton is beneath both Simus and Steve, but only for salvage operations. Everyone else, including you, is beneath Simus and Anton.

((Seriously pyro, im getting real tired of these "i said no and if you ignore me im gonna keep complaining and threatening you until you comply" arguments. This is a game and im trying to enjoy it, Leave me be.))

I am not going to stoop to ad hominem here (which you just did, in that post - not even just this specific snippet). But I will note that, for the most part, I have stayed out of this IC. Simus has no knowledge of what you're doing, and has done nothing against it itself (only to the concept, and even that was not direct). I have kept my OOC discourse civil enough on the topic as well, I think. Perhaps a bit condescending, but still civil.))
The key word there is stabilize not salvage. our mission was to asses the damage and prevent further collapses, not to salvage and not to repair. therefore the mission was complete before Auron began salvaging and you had no authority over him.

Your chain of command is a fictional construct as there was no longer part a survey and stabilisation squad, you decided to salvage on your own flawed interpretation of steves orders and you have no real authority in that matter.

A lack of denial may as well be an assent because until he puts a stop to it Auron has no reason to, Steve would be going to me, because as stated above you are not in charge. Also steve shuts shit down personally more often than not.

Edit:

((Except I haven't told him not to OOC, with any expectation of power from doing so, to my knowledge. I've merely expressed dissent with the idea, and likely IC ramifications if Simus finds out. If I've said OOC, "Don't do that", it's been me saying, implied (or more likely, just after), "Don't do that, if Simus finds out, you're going to be in trouble for it".

If it seems I have told him OOC without backing it up IC, I apologize for it.))
((Because constantly saying "dont do that or simus will punish you" isnt threatening in the slightest.))

((Im sick of constantly arguing in thread, can we please take NAV's advice and pm this if you still have issues with me doing this.))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:13:29 am by Unholy_Pariah »

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 243