Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 430843 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3375 on: January 21, 2014, 04:52:47 pm »

((Are you trying to see if Steve's giant penis ban applies here?))
((...No. I'm seeing if there's a limit to the absurdity we can make without Steve complaining. I'm planning to move from there to assorted impractical or inappropriate military thingies.
Inappropriate like broadswords and aircraft carriers, not like gargantuan genitalia.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: January 21, 2014, 04:55:12 pm »

((Great green gargantuan glowing genitalia?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: January 21, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »

((Hey Unholy, there is this guy who has a mining laser that he can't lift. Corsair's character Jhoseph. The Kludgebot could certainly use a mining laser. I think a deal could be made.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: January 21, 2014, 05:03:39 pm »

((The mining laser whilst heavy is an infantry weapon, it is incapable of being used over long range and charging heavily armed landing parties does not strike me as a good idea.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: January 21, 2014, 05:08:26 pm »

"Darn. We have to go nuclear to have enough power, but we can't go nuclear because of contamination. And we need a powerful weapon, but plasma is inaccurate, and the HEP will take time to improve.

Damnit I need a second brain.
"

Anton queries Steve.

"Steve, how well does the VR simulate actual laws of physics? I have an absolutely crazy idea here. Also, can you patch me through to our R&D section? I have an equally crazy idea concerning the details of how the HEP operates, and its interaction with the Plasma Projector."

Spoiler: The Crazy Idea (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Equally Crazy Idea (click to show/hide)

Attempt the creation and testing of the first crazy idea. Discuss the second crazy idea with the R&D department, and if it's at least in theory feasible, create a mock-up VR version for tentative performance testing.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: January 21, 2014, 05:22:40 pm »

((Why not stick some disposable missile launches on it? And what about gauss cannons?))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: January 21, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »

((Resource costs, i dont wanna use a huge chunk of our collective assents.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: January 21, 2014, 06:31:17 pm »

((Resource costs, i dont wanna use a huge chunk of our collective assents.))
((Reasonable. What about pile drivers or something?))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: January 22, 2014, 03:24:53 pm »

((Now, to make sure Pw doesn’t have to dig through any threads to find the stuff we wanna build, I’lm going to play accountant again and keep tally of what we want, how much it’ll all cost and how much budget we have left. This is how we’ll do it:

You guys ask PW how much something costs when you have an idea for something, then propose  it in the combat thread. Then I’ll keep track of how many people vote against or in favor, and either dismiss it or add it. I’ll voice my opinion, but I won’t count my own vote. However, if there’s an even divide between things then I’m just gonna pick something and that’ll be it. OOC reason to keep things moving and make sure we get to the fun parts faster, IC we can say it’s Miyamoto putting his foot down and being a horrible tyrant again.
If your project has several possible options (e.g. shuttles could be armed with several possible weapons) be sure to figure that out before you propose it, if possible.

Only projects posted in the combat thread will be counted, to keep everything in one place and ‘cause I’m a lazy bum.

Everyone agree with this?))

((Also, yes I'd like if both the shuttle weapons and scrapbot projects get reposted in the combat thread once you know what you want. Again, lazy bum.

By the way, who is gonna pilot those shuttles? Some npc, or remote-controlled by Steve? I'd prefer if we didn't have to pick player characters for something like that. Oh, and if at all possible, try to make it closer to 150 than 200 RU. Or 1/5 of the budget would go to those shuttles alone, and then we still haven't got any sods yet.

And Pariah:who is gonna pilot your thing? Going from this:
Again, it is not a personal project. It was built by Auron (and his faithful helpers) for the betterment of our combined combat capabilities, the intention was to give Aux focused characters with no combat skills the ability to effectively engage in combat.
I'm guessing you'll give it to one of our newbies who only have aux skill? Since Auron can still hold his own with his modded mining suit, whereas some of those other people are literally only armed with a laser rifle and good bad intentions.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3384 on: January 22, 2014, 03:46:15 pm »

stick a single 25 RU or less ship weapon (Preferably a PAC but a laser is acceptable) on the robots back mount, finish construction.

((We have outfitted 6 ships at a cost of 25~33 RU's each with multiple weapons, i foresee this not being a problem.))

Hows about a nice big gauss cannon with shells the size of grate? Should be good eh?

Welp, now it's time to let it run around like an idiot for a week, letting the pc get used to how to walk.

Also, keep the specifications to this in a txt file, just in case.

"Darn. We have to go nuclear to have enough power, but we can't go nuclear because of contamination. And we need a powerful weapon, but plasma is inaccurate, and the HEP will take time to improve.

Damnit I need a second brain.
"

Anton queries Steve.

"Steve, how well does the VR simulate actual laws of physics? I have an absolutely crazy idea here. Also, can you patch me through to our R&D section? I have an equally crazy idea concerning the details of how the HEP operates, and its interaction with the Plasma Projector."

Spoiler: The Crazy Idea (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Equally Crazy Idea (click to show/hide)

Attempt the creation and testing of the first crazy idea. Discuss the second crazy idea with the R&D department, and if it's at least in theory feasible, create a mock-up VR version for tentative performance testing.

The first idea, basically using the kinamp sandwiches in the same way explosive lenses are used on plutonium based bombs, is possible, though you will probably need more then two. You're probably gonna need a shell studded with many of them to get it to work. We could just make fusion bombs you know. They're more expensive but we can definitely make them.

That second idea....no, the shield isn't reactive like that, you can't funnel it around by hitting it with energy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: January 22, 2014, 03:57:31 pm »

((Hm. How does the shield work? How do we keep it where we want it? If we changed the specifications...))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: January 22, 2014, 04:10:37 pm »

The first idea, basically using the kinamp sandwiches in the same way explosive lenses are used on plutonium based bombs, is possible, though you will probably need more then two. You're probably gonna need a shell studded with many of them to get it to work. We could just make fusion bombs you know. They're more expensive but we can definitely make them.
((But doesn't fusion have no "lower limit" to the amount of fusable material used? We can do more than just fusion bombs, we can do whole star-cannons with the Instigators, but the role is important here too. A full-size fusion bomb is likely to cause entirely too much damage considering what the current intended use is, not to mention it'd still likely be based off fission weapons. I'd like to try and make clean, compact missiles that won't destroy more than a few (dozen) city blocks if we have to use them in an occupied area.))
Let's put it this way. If it's possible to make compact fusion warheads with no more than some low (1-5) kilotons of destructive power using the kinamp-sandwich method, go with those. The mobile response team will like some good punching power, I think. If not, check how cheap, clean and small can "regular" fusion warheads be made.

That second idea....no, the shield isn't reactive like that, you can't funnel it around by hitting it with energy.
((Oh well. Hmm, can it be made reactive? Can a custom energy projectile of any type be suspended in a HEP beam like that? That's a good project for after the invasion.))
Go with an overcharged plasma cannon, see how much "ammo" will end up being possible to carry. Tally up the costs of planned modifications:

Tug: Armor plating, vernier thrusters, four gimbaled forward-facing laser cannons, PD turrets
Hauler, Modified hauler: Two cutting laser turrets apiece
Blackship-too: Full refit into flying custom plasma cannon mount, with original parts preserved for restoration
Courier: Several (four? six?) cutting laser turrets, two custom missiles with either kinamp-fusion or regular fusion warheads in the low kiloton range.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:21 pm »

((You know, with the advent of resource limits, it might actually be better to recycle those ships back into RU and use that to build proper combat ships instead of refitted civilian ships.

Just sayin'.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: January 22, 2014, 10:29:07 pm »

((I'm pretty sure that despite technically being on the Sword, the both of us are still pretty firmly in the Survey thread.))
((Oh. piecewise told me to come here.))

"Hel...lo. Grate? Weren't you... dead? I mean, actually dead? Admittedly I kinda lost track of events after you blew up, but... uh, speaking of blown up, I'm kind of testing custom fusion warheads here. Might want to cover your eyes."
"I'm not sure what happened either, but Mr. Hawkeye seems to be interested in finding out. It's like he keeps following me around..."
Cover virtual eyes.
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: January 23, 2014, 12:03:31 am »

((You know, with the advent of resource limits, it might actually be better to recycle those ships back into RU and use that to build proper combat ships instead of refitted civilian ships.

Just sayin'.))

((Well, aren't the RU more symbolic of manufacturing capability, rather than actual resources?  So tearing the ships apart more would actually cost RU?  At least, assuming we're already tearing off the semi-modular bits, like engines and plating, and just refitting them together. 

Of course, PW did say the effective cost of refitting those ships was ~300, IIRC.  We know a perfect replica of the sword costs about 1000, we might as well ask how many smaller, more specialized warships can we make for 300 RU?))
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 243