Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mobile DF Clones?  (Read 14063 times)

Mobile DF Clones?
« on: March 12, 2013, 06:19:01 pm »

Since DF itself may never see an ios/android port, I was curious if there were any clones or games similar to Fortress mode (specifically for ios in my case). I'm not expecting mind blowing stuff, just something to keep me occupied when I am away from my *real* fort. :)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile DF Clones?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:21 pm »

You can get actual DF on your device. Go look up DFterm.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:22:00 am »

DFterm runs DF from your normal computer and allows you to access it over the internet so you get all the computing power of what you normally play on with what may be a less powerful device. At least as far as I understand. The problem with that is I have no clue how one would actually play DF on a smartphone seeing as how it lacks a keyboard.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 04:08:53 pm »

DFterm runs DF from your normal computer and allows you to access it over the internet so you get all the computing power of what you normally play on with what may be a less powerful device. At least as far as I understand. The problem with that is I have no clue how one would actually play DF on a smartphone seeing as how it lacks a keyboard.

Virtual keyboard on the touchscreen.  I might have to try this.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 07:33:55 pm »

Or a physical keyboard.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:53:58 am »

I already know about DFterm, but that would require having an internet connection (which I do not always have with my iPod) as well as leaving my home computer on when I am gone; something I don't like doing in the summer due to temps. I do like it though and I do use it when I am at a hotspot and have my PC on for other reasons.

I heard Prison Architect is similar in many ways, and is being developed for ios and android, but it's not out yet. :(
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:59:31 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:11:04 am »

I remember that Towns is fairly familiar, but with sun-loving humans instead of sturdy bearded folk. I don't if it's out for other platforms though. As far as DF clones go you have: Towns if you miss the building. Dwarves?! and A Game of Dwarves if you miss the little fellas. Terraria and Minecraft if you miss the blockiness.

But I don't believe there is ever going to be a game out there that would really come close to what Dwarf Fortress has done for the game community.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:31:25 am »

But are any of those available for Android or iOS?

As for me, I'm not looking for another game "like" DF for PC, but I'd love to find something fun for my Android.  I'm not looking for another variant of the match three games, no Mafia Wars level grinders, no Kingdom Conquer build a village and defend vs. the rest of the online community, and so help me, no more QTE "Press X to Not Die" games.

Basically, I'd like to find something that's at least a little bit brain based, and I can at least pretend I'm making some tangible, persistent progress in the game setting.

I know, it's a tall order.

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »

Towns is supported by mac, linux and windows platform, A Game of Dwarves only windows and Dwarfs?! I don't really know. I can't find it in their site, but I just noticed they are familiar with Dwarf Fortress. FUN.
Minecraft I am 100% sure that have an Androird and/or IOS supported version. My cousin plays in his phone all the time. Terraria I would have to check.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 02:07:52 pm »

I remember that Towns is fairly familiar, but with sun-loving humans instead of sturdy bearded folk. I don't if it's out for other platforms though. As far as DF clones go you have: Towns if you miss the building. Dwarves?! and A Game of Dwarves if you miss the little fellas. Terraria and Minecraft if you miss the blockiness.

But I don't believe there is ever going to be a game out there that would really come close to what Dwarf Fortress has done for the game community.

Actually, Towns has blocks now, too.

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 04:44:18 pm »

Actually, Towns has blocks now, too.

S2
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 02:23:49 am »

Towns is supported by mac, linux and windows platform, A Game of Dwarves only windows and Dwarfs?! I don't really know. I can't find it in their site, but I just noticed they are familiar with Dwarf Fortress. FUN.
Minecraft I am 100% sure that have an Androird and/or IOS supported version. My cousin plays in his phone all the time. Terraria I would have to check.

Dwarfs?! is on Steam, so it supports at least Windows.

If it helps, I want more the building of a fortress, but done in the style of DF, where you tell units to construct everything. Dungeon Keeper would probably be a better similar title to what I would expect to see for any mobile platform.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:25:28 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 09:53:08 am »

Dungeon Keeper is a good one too. But I think it's only for Windows. I might be mistaken.
I made a research. Some results are good, some are dreadful.
Games like Fantasy Town, The Settlers, Puzzle Craft, Kingdom Age are some good titles to what you are after. FULL of puzzles or time-limits, too, which is a bother, and they DO focus more on the single-minded side of strategy than DF ever will, but there you go.

COMMOFDOOM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 02:07:01 pm »

Majesty: Fantasy Kingdom and it's expansion are good choices. Game predates DF and has the same style of gameplay where the player doesn't directly control characters but influences them with rewards and buildings. Only big differences are obviously it isn't as deep, the player can cast spells, and it has picture graphics.

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 09:19:54 am »

What influential thing has DF actually done for the gaming community? Sure, it's a great game and might be the magnum opus of the Adamses, but other than that, it has mostly remained its own little thing.
Pages: [1] 2