Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mobile DF Clones?  (Read 14062 times)

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile DF Clones?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:57 am »

But I don't believe there is ever going to be a game out there that would really come close to what Dwarf Fortress has done for the game community.

What influential thing has DF actually done for the gaming community? Sure, it's a great game and might be the magnum opus of the Adamses, but other than that, it has mostly remained its own little thing.
DF has shown that quality does not come from graphics or an easy interface, nor from a tightly woven story that you want told. They are in those things as well, but of their own accord. Dwarf Fortress is one of the hardest and most indigestible games that you can come across, at first. Once you crack that you are thrown in a game with so much depth that it will invariably pull you in.
Here, quality didn't come from graphics or a message everyone can understand. It came in the form of depth, of complexity and life-like ai quirkiness. That is something no other game has achieved in a global level. Dwarf Fortress is even going to be exhibited in a museum, I've heard. Game for the sake of art, for the sake of itself. That is the memento of Dwarf Fortress to this era, I believe.

Of course, this is all my humble opinion as a hobbyist of both art and gaming.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

palapiku

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile DF Clones?
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 06:04:54 pm »

What influential thing has DF actually done for the gaming community? Sure, it's a great game and might be the magnum opus of the Adamses, but other than that, it has mostly remained its own little thing.
It inspired Minecraft
Pages: 1 [2]