Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The sling  (Read 720 times)

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The sling
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:57:55 pm »

Alright, this is pretty straight-forward.  I'm modding in a sling (David and Goliath style).  I do have a question, though I'm pretty certain the answer will be no.  Is it possible for the item to use a boulder (preferably non-specific) as ammo?  Like I said, I'm pretty certain it is not possible (also, as far as physical possibilities, a boulder is pretty large for a dwarf to be launching but, DF=/=Real Life).  If I could view a raw for a catapault (I know, they aren't there) it would be interesting to see if there was something usable there.  Unfortunately, the dorfs would rather run through lava and whip the goblins to death while using it, though I did finally get one to throw a rock (which lodged firmly into the goblin's brain).  Is there anyway to make them prefer to stay at range or are they always going to rush in? 

Sling:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ammo:

These numbers are not final; I'm just trying to get it to work properly.
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The sling
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:06:13 pm »

You can't use anything for ammo that isn't specifically an AMMO item.

I actually put a slingshot into the LoZ mod; it uses "pebbles" as ammo, which are actually just... well, an ammo called "pebbles". There's no way to modify combat behavior. There's no way to modify anything behavior outside of these tokens

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »

Alright, this is pretty straight-forward.  I'm modding in a sling (David and Goliath style).  I do have a question, though I'm pretty certain the answer will be no.  Is it possible for the item to use a boulder (preferably non-specific) as ammo?  Like I said, I'm pretty certain it is not possible (also, as far as physical possibilities, a boulder is pretty large for a dwarf to be launching but, DF=/=Real Life).  If I could view a raw for a catapault (I know, they aren't there) it would be interesting to see if there was something usable there.  Unfortunately, the dorfs would rather run through lava and whip the goblins to death while using it, though I did finally get one to throw a rock (which lodged firmly into the goblin's brain).  Is there anyway to make them prefer to stay at range or are they always going to rush in? 

Sling:

Ammo:

These numbers are not final; I'm just trying to get it to work properly.

You...Got it to fire? That shouldn't work, you have it in the wrong weapon class for start. It should be [CLASS:ROCK] since that is what you have up there. It will work with ammo called "rock" then, but not with actual rocks. Though you could make a reaction to make "rock" ammo, if you really want to.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:46:50 pm »

HA!  I just figured out what happened.  It didn't fire; he simply bashed the goblin's head in with the rock he was holding.  I...  DAMN IT DORFS!!! (And my poor modding skills)

UPDATE:
I fixed it, it fires, it works exactly as expected.  I even like how it works when they are out of ammo.  They cripple their enemy with the rock, come in and finish it off with a lash from the sling to the head (assuming that dwarven slings have some sort of pebble on the release strand that whips around and crushes the skull.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:55:32 pm by Morgorin »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:53:31 pm »

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ROCK]
[NAME:rock:rocks]
[CLASS:ROCK]
[SIZE:400]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20:200:hit:hits:NO_SUB:2000]

There, that should work. Try it now.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:57:38 pm »

Thanks for the help both of you.  I now have dwarven sling-men.  I'm probably going to take out the crossbows from the entity raws; somehow slinging a rock at high velocity feels more dwarfy.