Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick and Easy to Dispose of Necromancers?  (Read 1978 times)

Kane Minehunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick and Easy to Dispose of Necromancers?
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:01:20 pm »

Hello everyone! So I have a fairly new Fortress ( first caravan just about to leave ) and I was just installing some new cage traps around the bridge in my fort. I noticed that one of my soldiers got stuck in it; how odd. After further inspection I noticed it was noted as undead, then upon looking at the cage it turned out that it was one of my soldiers' (Roman, his/her name is) hands were in it, and it was undead. And apparently to the left of that was a caged Necromancer. Now I'm fairly new to Dwarf Fortress and I have no clue to dispose of him without risking my men being brought back and slaughtering everyone... 

I dragged this necromancer ( and Roman's hand ) down to a level that I was going to start using for training (like a combat arena to fight animals and goblins in). I moved this guy into the arena and was about to let him loose and send my squad down, until I thought that he might turning my guys into undead. So here I am. I'm quite new to killing stuff in DF, so any advice would be great. Note: I have not hit magma yet and I'm new to using it, so something other than that would be sweet. If you want some screenies: http://s1111.beta.photobucket.com/user/KaneBates/library/
Thanks everyone! 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Quick and Easy to Dispose of Necromancers?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:01:58 pm »

20 marksdwarf firing squad, or a minimum of 1 if you have legendary marksdwarf. Otherwise hammerdwarf squad of 3 to 50 Dwarves.

The necromancer'll only resurrect things that are already dead. So make sure nothing is made dead until the necromancer is the one who is being made dead.

If you want to be REALLY safe, simply dump the cage into a pit and smash it with a controlled cave in, or else pit the necromancer into a lake or a drowning chamber or a really deep pit (spikes for bonus points).

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »

I suggest you to create a necromancer arena, as they aren't likely to be caught in a cage trap because of the many minions they bring. Then you could have a better way of training than sparring.

See this article for more information on how to build one: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Live_training

PD: remember to put armor on your dwarves and use weak animals. Turkeys work very well for this.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:36:17 pm »

If you want to use the necromaner for various Dwarfy things, then, pick a project and follow closely the instructions or else Fun.

If you just want him dead, no saving throw, Rocks Fall Everyone Dies style, then order the cage to be [d]umped to a garbage zone, conveniently located beneath a raised drawbridge. Atom Smash the fuck out of him while he's still in the cage. Sure, you lose the cage, but they're usually replacable rather easily unless you're on a no-wood no-sand embark. Even then, it's better to lose a cage than risk him getting out, or animating things you don't want him to. He'll die (and summarily be TERMINATED FROM EXISTENCE) via atom smash even through the cage, despite cages often protecting from most things.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:10:48 am »

Copious amounts of magma.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:51:05 am »

Keep him. He's safe in the cage, and necromancers are awesome for training archers.

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:56:41 am »

Sell the hand to a merchant

and use the necro to make a constant supplie of zombie target pracktice
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:44:42 am »

The necromancer'll only resurrect things that are already dead. So make sure nothing is made dead until the necromancer is the one who is being made dead.

What if there are two necromancers ? :D

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:25:33 pm »

Necromancers won't raise dead from a cage. They will indeed raise dead as soon as they are released.

My favorite thing to have done was chain him solo on an island within view of the corpse pit. Then during siege-time the bridge from the corpse pit to the outside was lowered. Fun times.

Also, It's fun to throw a troll into a pit of zombies. They do really good.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 02:59:12 pm »

Necromancer arenas are great for training marskdwarves.  Endless targets!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 02:59:27 pm »

Necromancers won't raise dead from a cage. They will indeed raise dead as soon as they are released.
And in any case if for some reason you decided to try execute both necromancers at the same time for some reason, 50 hammerdwarves.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 04:24:18 pm »

Seriously, how can you NOT be tempted by the glorious splendor that is the pillboxed necromancer pit, with the kitten waterfall cascading into it?

Put some bridges over the pit which retract, and drop whole caravans inside!
(Bonus points for lever controlled support disintigration, and a constructed floor trade depot that drops everything into said pit.)

Fun times! Fun times!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 10:50:32 pm »

What, really? I thought I heard stories of necros getting caught in cages and being hauled past refuse piles, and as a result loads of undead mollusk shells and hair reanimated and attacked forts.

Do they not raise dead when in a cage built as a building? They have to be chained?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 08:57:42 am »

Do they not raise dead when in a cage built as a building? They have to be chained?
I keep a caged necromancer inside my refuse stockpile. They have to be free or at least chained to use their power.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 12:39:02 pm »

Yep. I believe that was an issue with leading a necromancer past a refuse stockpile (Ergo, pitting him a good distance from his cage and having him walk past)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0