Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 47859 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #495 on: December 28, 2014, 09:46:49 pm »

Horse is delicious if cooked correctly. Also, I'd imagine that the ass taste would depend on the animal, just like the rest of it. *shrug*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 28, 2014, 10:03:14 pm »

No, ass is the animal.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 29, 2014, 06:15:16 am »

Ass is a donkey. Pronounced a as in hat, I believe.

I do feel like MZ was just joking around though and probably got it the first time.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 29, 2014, 08:37:41 am »

... ass, as in donkey, is pronounced exactly the same as ass, as in posterior.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 29, 2014, 08:40:00 am »

Not if you're British.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 29, 2014, 08:42:08 am »

Besides the over kind is tasty too: bacon, rump steak .....

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 29, 2014, 11:11:15 am »

I wouldn't know what ass tastes like, either kind, being vegetarian and a decent human being at that. (Probably. At least I []think[/i] I'm decent.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 29, 2014, 01:24:53 pm »

Went and prepared a whole pitcher of soylent today. Gonna try and go the whole day (possibly two) until the pitcher runs out, eating nothing else, and see how I feel and how long the pitcher lasts. Pro tip, if you're mixing a pitcher and pouring the bag out, use a funnel or something to avoid spills. Talking from experience here. I deliberately poured as carefully and cautiously as I could and still spilled a bit.

First glass was right after I mixed it in the pitcher. Still has lumps and stuff. Getting used to it though. Actually kinda tasty. Added more maple syrup than I did yesterday to it, but not like a whole cup or anything. Gave it a nice hint of maple taste.

Tastes good man. I like it. May add a pouch of instant hot cocoa powder to the next cup and see how that works.

--------------------

Also did some basic hypothetical number crunching. I got the 7 pouch supply. Each pouch lasts up to a maximum of two days "officially". So 7 pouches lasts 14 days. I paid 85 dollars for the one time supply(per month would be $70). 85/14=~6.07. So I paid approximately 6.07 USD a day for this food. Not bad, considering the typical cheap fast food meal can be 6 or 7 dollars, and that's only one meal out of the typical 3 a day. If I wanted to calculate the price per meal, and assuming I'd have 3 "meals", price comes out to be 6.07/3=2.02 dollars a meal.

Using the same formula, and going with the monthly 28 bag subscription that costs $255 a month for 28 bags, which last up to 2 days a bag, we get 255/(28*2)=$4.55 a day, and 4.55/3=$1.51 a meal.

So if you want to live on the stuff, the 28 bag monthly subscription is hella cheap.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 29, 2014, 01:48:37 pm »

... huh. Shouldn't a monthly be ~15 bags at 2 days/bag, not 28? 255/month is definitely overpriced for the area I'm in... you can get by pretty well at around 100, maybe 120 or so. Which is odd, because 1.50/meal is actually pretty solid. At the 70x2 price point (140 for ~28 days) it would actually be pretty competitive -- still a little over the minimum, but only a little.

Restaurant stuff's always a terrible point of comparison when you're dealing with pricing food, though. It's pretty much unilaterally hella' overpriced in relation to strictly the materials -- you usually pay materials and extra on top of the actual food cost for that convenience, at least from what I've seen. Ratio gets a bit better in areas where the basic food is more expensive, but it still trends toward pretty bad. Restaurants gouge like the buggery.
Ask not!
Ask!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 29, 2014, 02:02:22 pm »

For the record, 28 is just the biggest bundle they offer. It's 7 bags for $70 month, 14 at $130 a month, 28 at $255 a month. All 3 bundles can be ordered as a monthly subscription. I used the 28 bundle just as an example of "buying in bulk". Buying in bulk is supposed to save money and stuff, yeah.

And bear in mind this is supposed to be a full balanced meal of nutrition. So it's got everything (supposedly) to be healthy. Dunno if you can eat a balanced diet at $100 where you're at, Frumple. Whenever I hear people talking about cooking and eating on a budget like that it seems like it's nothing but beans and rice and ramen and cheap meat or meat substitutes.

In an unrelated note, a cuppa soylent mixed with a pouch of instant hot cocoa powder is absolutely delicious chocolatey goodness. It looks like a chunky smoothie and looks disgusting but dear god it's soooooo goooood.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 29, 2014, 02:05:45 pm »

You can eat balanced on that budget. I don't, personally, but it's possible with a titch of effort. Can't get terribly fancy or the highest of qualities, obviously, but healthy and effective is possible, especially if you include vitamin supplements in the budget (which the 100/month, at least in my case, does).
Ask not!
Ask!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 29, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »

Knowing that the standard unit for street-level heroin is a 'bag' as well, the last posts were very funny to read.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 29, 2014, 07:53:40 pm »

Pro tip, if you're mixing a pitcher and pouring the bag out, use a funnel or something to avoid spills. Talking from experience here. I deliberately poured as carefully and cautiously as I could and still spilled a bit.

I just squeeze the opening of the bag shut while upright, shove it in the pitcher, and shake it out.  I do this with the outer part of the lid on, also, so that there's less space for Soylent dust to fly back out of.

Then I add the oil blend and fill 3/4 with water, seal shut, and shake vigorously while holding the pitcher on its side until I have all the dry stuff off the sides.  Then fill and shake for a little while longer.  Should be fairly well-mixed at that point.  There'll be some small chunks in your first glass.

Going to make another batch right now.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 07, 2015, 11:35:19 am »

Bumping the thread to say that a batch of soylent can definitely (probably) be kept for longer than 2 days. Pretty sure. Pretty sure the current batch I have has been in the fridge for at least 3 days. Drinking a cup of it now, doesn't seem obviously fermented or bad. But my opinion of this may change in a few hours. I dunno. Maybe I'm actually poisoning myself and don't realize it because it doesn't taste horrible, but whatever.

This means that that price figure I outlined in my earlier post can actually be even more efficient, since the two day "maximum" isn't really the maximum. Of course, if you're living purely on soylent you'll probably run out of a batch in 2 or 3 days anyway, but as a food supplement or easy breakfast or whatever, it can probably last for a while with good refrigeration.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38