Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 47865 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #555 on: June 14, 2015, 07:10:37 pm »

So does 1.5 still cost the same as the previous iterations?

Actually... This kind of ruins the point but... can it go into pancakes?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:15:48 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #556 on: June 14, 2015, 07:11:24 pm »

It did when I ordered mine.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #557 on: June 14, 2015, 07:32:36 pm »

Actually... This kind of ruins the point but... can it go into pancakes?
I don't see why not. I've seen people bake it into cookies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAvOoqC7Fbc
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:35:09 pm by forsaken1111 »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 14, 2015, 07:40:17 pm »

I dunno, but it's pretty expensive. Just under $10/day, and that's with the subscription discount. I'm happy to pay it right now, because I can, but it's steep.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 14, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »

I dunno, but it's pretty expensive. Just under $10/day, and that's with the subscription discount. I'm happy to pay it right now, because I can, but it's steep.
That's assuming you go through one full pouch a day. And even then, it'd be ~3 meals a day, or ~$3 a meal.

I mean, that's about what I came up with when I tried crunching numbers last time this was brought up. Assuming the prices haven't changed, it should be about the same.

Has anyone tried living purely on Soylent for a few days? I tried one day of just drinking it but I found that if I didn't constantly have a cup nearby, I'd get feeling hungry, like "my stomach is utterly empty" hungry. Couldn't just go with a cup for breakfast, wait for a cup for lunch, etc.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 14, 2015, 09:19:31 pm »

Just to be clear, you were trying to eat a days worth of calories of the stuff, right? A whole pouch, if I understand correctly. Because "one cup three times a day" doesn't sound like it'd be enough.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 14, 2015, 09:22:39 pm »

Yeah, that amount is for 1 pouch/day. Many people can get by on less, I hear, some prefer more. Since I'm more used to $4-$5 per day, it's a bit of a jump, even though I'm still cooking a big meal each day to dilute the costs.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 14, 2015, 11:02:09 pm »

Yeah, that amount is for 1 pouch/day. Many people can get by on less, I hear, some prefer more. Since I'm more used to $4-$5 per day, it's a bit of a jump, even though I'm still cooking a big meal each day to dilute the costs.

What are you eating that's so cheap?  It would take $4-5 per day to feed me on nothing but lowest quality ramen noodles.

And yeah, I typically get 4 meals out of each pouch.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 15, 2015, 02:52:28 am »

Could be local price differences: Urban vs rural, Europe vs US, that sort of stuff.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #564 on: June 15, 2015, 07:02:55 am »

At least where I live, eating on $10 a day is not easy to do in a healthy way. I mean I could buy a case of instant noodles sure but that isn't a good long term solution and doesn't contain all of your nutrition. I currently am using soylent to handle my morning consumption and sometimes lunch and then I cook a nice dinner myself. So far it's had little to no digestive/gastrointestinal consequences beyond  acertain "huh I feel hungry and full at the same time"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 15, 2015, 10:14:01 am »

What are you eating that's so cheap?  It would take $4-5 per day to feed me on nothing but lowest quality ramen noodles.

And yeah, I typically get 4 meals out of each pouch.
Vegetables in pasta or rice. Cheap stuff bought at a cheap grocery store (ALDI is good for this). Eggs or cheese for protein. Onion, carrot, celery are cheap fresh, and broccoli and spinach are cheap frozen. Maybe some mushrooms and/or peppers. They're all good in ramen, too, actually.

Prices may be lower here (we're both in the Midwest but I'm in a smallish university town, so maybe that's it?). I also only have to feed one.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 15, 2015, 02:10:27 pm »

Between just feeding one person, buying in bulk, and actually cooking yourself, it's not impossible to get the cost per meal down to $1 per. This comes with the caveats of eating the same thing for a week, probably missing a handful of nutrients that come with a balanced diet, and a lot of time lost to actually cooking/prepping.

Stuff like soup, stew, and rice where most of the volume is water and it's just a matter of tossing spices, vegetables, and a ham hock or whatever into a broth and you've got a week of meals is entirely viable. It's not something you're going to enjoy for months on end, to be sure.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #567 on: June 15, 2015, 02:12:10 pm »

At least where I live, eating on $10 a day is not easy to do in a healthy way. I mean I could buy a case of instant noodles sure but that isn't a good long term solution and doesn't contain all of your nutrition. I currently am using soylent to handle my morning consumption and sometimes lunch and then I cook a nice dinner myself. So far it's had little to no digestive/gastrointestinal consequences beyond  acertain "huh I feel hungry and full at the same time"

Go to grocery store and write down all the produce prices (also meat/eggs/etc).  Include any dry goods as well like beans, flour, anything you would use.  If you know of regular deals of those, make sure to note it.

I'm sure if you do this and share the list here we can help you step thru nutrition and costs, but I hope you like soup cause thats probably whats gonna be suggested :)  (I can make a good cabbage/veg/beef soup at about $1.00 a bowl or less)

As for Soylent itself, I'm doing a home-mix keto version now... or at least prepping too.  I tried someones premade keto-chow and liked it, and it didn't make me violently ill/messed up like regular soylent did, so soon as I clean out my fridge I'll get on that and see how it does over a month or so.  Daily cost is ~$4.50ish.  https://diy.soylent.com/recipes/keto-chow-103-master
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]