Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 47868 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2013, 06:23:14 am »

Eating is a social activity, because as a culture we decided it was. That's why we have business lunch, and inviting friends over usually mean having diner with them. There's no real explanation behind that.

Eh, psychology? How do you make friends with most animals? Give them something to eat and they're more likely to trust you. One of the basic needs of survival is food, so supplying that for someone is a good way to show friendly intentions.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2013, 06:32:30 am »

I understand that food is part of our culture and social behavior, and I wouldn't want to change that. I really like to cook for friends, and a home cooked meal is one of my favorite second dates, but that isn't all food is. It is also required to keep you alive and healthy.
When you live alone and aren't having anybody over for dinner, the social aspect becomes some what irrelevant. I would love an easy, cheep and healthy meal for when cooking just isn't any sort of priority, and for me that is most meals.

A nutrient slurry doesn't have to replace all meals, but it would be helpful for all those 'eating just to stay alive' meals.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2013, 09:59:03 am »

Quick google search turned up several articles summarizing the benefits of families sharing meals together. Benefits included:

Everyone eats healthier meals.
Kids are less likely to become overweight or obese.
Kids more likely to stay away from cigarettes.
They're less likely to drink alcohol.
They won't likely try marijuana.
They're less likely to use illicit drugs.
Friends won't likely abuse prescription drugs.
School grades will be better.
You and your kids will talk more.
You'll be more likely to hear about a serious problem.
Kids will feel like you're proud of them.
There will be less stress and tension at home.

Source

Don't know how that'll translate with nutrient rich slurry substitutes, but the social aspects of family meals have a definite impact on the healthy development of children.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2013, 10:17:57 am »

Looks to me like a classic case of correlation being an indication of something but not a cause.  I sincerely doubt that the simple act of eating a meal together is responsible for all of that.  It's more likely that it's indicative of a broader trends in the family.  It's really not very practical to prepare a meal to feed a family and somehow not eat it together.  Maybe you have people serving themselves a plate and running off with it to eat somewhere else, but most people find it easier to just sit down and eat where the food is, even if they don't intend to interact with the people around them while they're doing it.  If the family isn't eating meals together, it's likely because the parents are too busy or negligent and are simply leaving the kids to fend for themselves much of the time.  If they can't even manage to feed their kids properly, then I have no reason to believe they'd be spending quality time with their kids in other ways.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2013, 12:23:06 pm »

Hard to tell which way the causality goes, but I think having a time where the whole family sit down together and talk while eating helps a lot. Sure, it could be done without the food, but I don't really know any other occasions like that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2013, 01:40:36 pm »

Frumple, I just want to say: You have "no bleedin' idea" how to calculate the cost of food. ;)

For me, the cost of food is primarily in preparation, post-meal cleanup, planning and procurement. Time is a valuable resource, and food takes up a hella lot of time if you both want to eat healthy and cheap. There are some incredibly savings to be had with soylent, but if you leave out most of the actual cost of food you'll probably not end up seeing it.

Of quick, healthy and cheap, It's easy to get one of the three, possible to get two of them, but incredibly difficult to get all three. Soylent seems to be all three.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2013, 02:33:17 pm »

... yeah, except if you're half decent at it, it stacks easy vs. something like eating out and isn't really that involved of a time sink. My normal cooking takes <30 min* (usually ~5-10, really, and that can sometimes feed me for the whole day), post meal cleanup generally less (In this case, it's only for myself. Maybe 2-3 minutes, 4-5 on the outside, to clean what I used with soap and sponge. And that's assuming no dishwashing machine, which can make that number per meal go down even further. And that gets smaller if I'm using the same dishware across meals.), and planning and procurement has become so routine you're looking at something like maybe two hours a month, total -- including travel time! Consider it a net 4 minutes per meal. I shop maybe twice a month, sometimes less, and trips tend to take less than an hour. If you know what you're after and where it is, this is not an involved process, and if you shop for a month to half month's worth of food in one go (and I get in very regular arguments with family over this in particular, bleh. Just because you can swing by the grocery store every few days doesn't mean you should.), the overall time per meal is very small. I'd say I'm normally looking at around maybe 20 minutes per meal* in terms of everything-but-eating (and the average is probably smaller than that, hum), and if I were actually trying to optimize that on a per meal basis, it could get much smaller. In practice, I'm honestly only kind of half-hearted about this stuff, heh. Which really highlights to me how terrible most of the people I've observed are at this, speaking of the American population in general.

Now yeah, something like soylant would almost certainly save some of the time cost, but the saving isn't really that drastic. You'd still be looking at a few minutes preparation and a similar degree of cleanup (hopefully, anyway, as the alternative of pre-mixed stuff would probably be pretty wasteful re: containers and whatnot). I'll give it might, say, halve the total non-eating time investment (maybe a bit more) but, well. If you're doing it with an eye towards minimizing time there's not much of that to begin with.

... so yeah, I do actually consider stuff like time cost when I'm thinking cost of food :P (I've had that argument trying to convince family to stop eating out so much, too.) And I'll still say... a lot of folks in the states have no bleedin' idea how to do this whole food thing. Primary cost is effort more than anything else. Biggest issue with quick, healthy, and cheap, is initial setup, not sustained difficulty -- figuring out where things are and how to utilize them. Once that's done, things get pretty routine (at least until you have to readjust to market changes or whatnot, but that generally only throws a portion of it out of whack and readjusting isn't that big of a deal.).

*Now, healthier cooking would expand that a bit if I was still cooking in the same way I do now, yes, preparing and cooking everything per meal. Switch gears to batch cooking, and you'll be doing stuff like cooking a week's worth of a particular thing in one go, drastically reducing per-meal preparation time (if you can cook everything you eat for the week in <2 hours -- and give me a reason, ha, this is not difficult. Well, reason and the money to do it, hum. -- you're looking at something like 20 minutes or so per meal, including warmup). Cook several things simultaneously and your per meal time cost gets even lower. From what I've seen, stuff only very rarely takes over or up to an hour to cook, even in large batches -- and the stuff that does involves preparation methods you can use while doing other things. Eat the same stuff for a week, bring it down to an hour's prep time on the outside and a couple minutes to reheat (if that... some stuff eats fine cold), you're looking at maybe ten minutes per mix-and-match meal.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 10, 2013, 02:19:06 pm »

Rob visited Gawker headquarters and offered samples of Soylent to the staff there.  The article is amusing, though it doesn't really say anything new.  It does highlight how the stuff seems to provoke really strong reactions from everyone, both good and bad.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 10, 2013, 02:28:12 pm »

Rob visited Gawker headquarters and offered samples of Soylent to the staff there.  The article is amusing, though it doesn't really say anything new.  It does highlight how the stuff seems to provoke really strong reactions from everyone, both good and bad.
jesus put a nsfw tag on that or something. i opened it and it said "Looks like Semen" in giant letters right as my co worker walked behind me.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »

Hopes a Soylent-only diet can be "only" $5 per day. Lawl.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2013, 04:14:51 pm »

Hopes a Soylent-only diet can be "only" $5 per day. Lawl.
What do you mean "only"? That's fucking cheap for anything with a resemblance of healthy food.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 10, 2013, 04:16:25 pm »

Yeah. "Only"? That's ALL you need for the day. Around here, 5 dollars will get you a burger, if that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »

Can you eat cheaper? Yes.

Can you eat cheaper while insuring you get absolutely everything you need to not just manageable but actually healthy levels? Well... maybe if you're very small...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2013, 04:23:31 pm »

I just think he should set farther goals. Mass acquisition of raw materials can get cheap, so there's no reason to stop hoping once you get to "reasonable".

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 10, 2013, 04:25:31 pm »

It might be possible to eat a completely balanced diet on less than $5 a day, but that would take some seriously hardcore shopping. The entire point of soylent is that you don't have to think about meals if you don't want to. You get some powder, you put it in water, you drink it up, and you're done, versus going to the store, deciding what you want to eat, making the rest of the meal to balance out nutrients, then you have to actually cook it, sometimes for upwards of hours for one meal.
Soylent is NOT supposed to be a super cheap alternative to food. It's a time/effort saver. The cheap price is purely accidental and a side effect of using industrial items that are bought in large quantities.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38