Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 47830 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #465 on: October 09, 2014, 08:38:51 pm »

It's marketed as a pouch per day, but every account I have seen emphasizes that consuming the entire pouch in a day is ridiculous.  The packaging says it keeps in the fridge for two days once mixed, and a from what I've read and now having tried it myself, a pouch is likely enough to last one normal person 4-5 meals.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 09, 2014, 08:44:03 pm »

Interesting. Guess it depends on the person's metabolism. Guess I'll just try my "week supply" when I get it and see how long that lasts.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 09, 2014, 09:56:19 pm »

See, now I want to try it, just to see how much I can get down. I don't eat "normal person" meals. I eat an entire pizza for lunch, and then go on to have a snack in a couple hours. Or an entire foot-long sub. Or six hamburgers. Etc.

It's a wonder I'm not one of those people who are so fat that they can't see their feet.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 09, 2014, 10:20:13 pm »

I'm kind of like that, myself.  I normally eat only one big meal a day, but that one meal will be pretty damn large.  I've shocked many with the amount that I'll eat in one sitting.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 09, 2014, 10:40:48 pm »

About halfway through the second glass, I encountered a really strong feeling of being satiated.  I've never felt anything like it.  I'm not normally satisfied until I'm full, but I didn't feel full like I was stuffed with food.  I just felt like my body had what it needed, and wasn't interested in consuming anything more.  I've never felt that kind of signal from my body before.  Felt this way for roughly the next 5 hours.  Totally uninterested in eating anything else, even though my office had food catered that day and there were several pies in the break room.  I also didn't feel like I needed my usual afternoon cup of coffee. 
This reminds me of my experiences with homemade soylent. I need to start doing that again. Really handy stuff - I'd drink a bottle over the course of an evening, a couple of ounces an hour, and wind up having had about 500 calories fewer than I normally do without having consciously thought anything of it. The stuff just acts as a really effective off switch to the sensation of hunger.

Could be placebo, but whatever.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 09, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »

I'm kind of like that, myself.  I normally eat only one big meal a day, but that one meal will be pretty damn large.  I've shocked many with the amount that I'll eat in one sitting.
I...uh...still eat 3, sometimes 4 meals a day. :/

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 10, 2014, 12:15:38 pm »

I...uh...still eat 3, sometimes 4 meals a day. :/

That is impressive if you eat that large a meal that many times a day.  No shame.  If I have one bit of American culture in me, it's that I can appreciate a noteworthy capacity.

Had Soylent for breakfast and lunch today.  I normally wouldn't eat breakfast, because I don't have time and food makes me feel sick until I've been up for at least 2 hours.  But it's so quick and didn't cause any bad feelings.  The texture also doesn't bother me, now that I know what to expect.

A lot of this probably is placebo, but whether it is or not doesn't really matter to me.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 10, 2014, 12:42:36 pm »

A lot of this probably is placebo, but whether it is or not doesn't really matter to me.
As I frequently say, the placebo effect is still an effect.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 12, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »

Quick google search turned up several articles summarizing the benefits of families sharing meals together. Benefits included:

Everyone eats healthier meals.
Kids are less likely to become overweight or obese.
Kids more likely to stay away from cigarettes.
They're less likely to drink alcohol.
They won't likely try marijuana.
They're less likely to use illicit drugs.
Friends won't likely abuse prescription drugs.
School grades will be better.
You and your kids will talk more.
You'll be more likely to hear about a serious problem.
Kids will feel like you're proud of them.
There will be less stress and tension at home.

Source

...and there'll be lasting peace in the middle east
It'll close the hole in the ozone layer and reduce greenhouse emissions
It'll an end to racial strife
Inner city schools will be properly funded
Communism will work the way it's supposed to
Your penis will grow three inches
It can cure cancer and AIDS
Your deceaced friends and relatives will come back to life...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #474 on: October 12, 2014, 11:34:15 pm »

Bonding with your children doesn't always translate directly to supernatural penis enlargement.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 13, 2014, 12:18:26 am »

-snip-

Your deceaced friends and relatives will come back to life...
God dammit, and I put so much work into killing Aunt Cathy!

Uh. I mean. Yay for family meals. yep.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 14, 2014, 11:56:46 am »

I don't know if it's coincidence, but I'm dreaming a lot more.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 16, 2014, 07:58:19 pm »

Very high doses of iron can be fatal, particularly if taken by children

And especially especially if the children ingest it in the form of razor blades that have been hidden in their candy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:59:54 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 19, 2014, 07:15:04 pm »

Very high doses of iron can be fatal, particularly if taken by children
And especially especially if the children ingest it in the form of razor blades that have been hidden in their candy.
...what are you planning this Halloween?
Hiding candy in children's razors?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 19, 2014, 08:30:49 pm »

So it's been over a week, and I really like the stuff.  I have 2 out of 7 pouches left.  I've had Soylent twice a day almost every day since I got it.  If every pouch is at least 1.5 days, it really is ramen noodle cheap.

I'm pretty much done with food.  I haven't enjoyed eating very much for a very long time before this, and that's only become more glaring now.  I really enjoy the sensation and freedom of erasing my hunger in a couple effortless minutes, without stuffing myself .  But when I eat normal food it, it's a huge chore and my body doesn't feel finished until I've over-eaten, leaving me uncomfortable for hours afterwards.  The taste/texture of Soylent stopped being unusual to me by the third day.  It's now just as pleasant as consuming anything else in that regard.

Now I just need to figure out how to escape the social trap that food is, most especially with my wife.  She still loves food and loves to eat socially, and I'm feeling a lot of pressure from her to continue eating the same as everyone else whenever there's a shared meal... even though the cost of that meal could be cut in half if I were left out of it, because I eat so damn much.  We went to a movie today, and she wanted to eat at a barbecue place afterwards.  Two hours later, I still feel food-induced lethargy, uncomfortably crammed full of junk, and I don't feel as satisfied as a glass of Soylent would have made me for 1/10 the price and the time.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38