Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: Adventurer Fort: still useful i guess  (Read 139363 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort reborn!
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2014, 07:17:43 pm »

oh and word of wise with building on site, make sure you don't cross the site boundaries or you might return to see a walk way in shammbles while the rest of the house looks normal.
pictures of my tree-fort

Very nice !
I imagine on dense forest areas, you could nearly reproduce those ewok tree cities.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2014, 01:16:35 am »

@isher: yup it's correct location. I should really make it easier to install them... Though you could try using mod manager (in beta/alpha/alpaca) here and it might have the adventurer additions ( i don't recall if i updated the thing :) )

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2014, 03:42:54 pm »

ok, I'm feeling pretty dumb, but I can't figure out how to do jobs at a workshop.  Seen people saying they have done jobs in a workshop, but not how :/

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »

ok, I'm feeling pretty dumb, but I can't figure out how to do jobs at a workshop.  Seen people saying they have done jobs in a workshop, but not how :/
When you are in advfort mode (the job selection in lefttop is showing) walk onto workshop and press "tab".

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2014, 04:28:23 pm »

oh and word of wise with building on site, make sure you don't cross the site boundaries or you might return to see a walk way in shammbles while the rest of the house looks normal.
pictures of my tree-fort

Very nice !
I imagine on dense forest areas, you could nearly reproduce those ewok tree cities.
the place I pick isn't pretty good on super tall trees, their pretty much 3 z-levels tall. and compare that to normal Dwarf fort sizes it's uhh not what I expected in a base.
that said you could build a house on forest treetop and it will support the whole thing too.
oh here's a sketch of the treefort back when I didn't install the house to it.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2014, 06:36:07 pm »

When you are in advfort mode (the job selection in lefttop is showing) walk onto workshop and press "tab".

Thank you,  you sir are a gentleman and a scholar

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2014, 11:22:52 pm »

God spent a good minute after sleeping in my tree house, rounding up rats and attempting to cage them... they seem to keep gnawing out of my containers.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2014, 12:38:42 pm »

Started building my Dwarf Ranger's cabin in what seems to be a pretty decent spot. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Biggest problem so far has been only thing I can fish up are mussels, which I can't seem to clean/prepare into a meal

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2014, 02:07:20 pm »

Looks updated, the only thing different on the on the mod installer version you linked (aside from being set up differently) is that LUA_HOOK_MAKE_SITE3x3 has [NO_EDGE_ALLOWED] at the end of the REAGENT line, and the one you posted on the first page of this one does not. I don't know if that has anything to do with Toady recently fixing some bugs on the edge of sites or something.

Anyway, everything is working, thanks for this! I do wonder, does claiming the site make the buildings stay when you leave and come back? Does it have any other effect, is it like claiming a fortress or will the game explode if you do this twice? I can't find much info on this so I think you're the only person that knows these anwers :D

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2014, 02:59:03 pm »

Looks updated, the only thing different on the on the mod installer version you linked (aside from being set up differently) is that LUA_HOOK_MAKE_SITE3x3 has [NO_EDGE_ALLOWED] at the end of the REAGENT line, and the one you posted on the first page of this one does not. I don't know if that has anything to do with Toady recently fixing some bugs on the edge of sites or something.

Anyway, everything is working, thanks for this! I do wonder, does claiming the site make the buildings stay when you leave and come back? Does it have any other effect, is it like claiming a fortress or will the game explode if you do this twice? I can't find much info on this so I think you're the only person that knows these anwers :D
About [NO_EDGE_ALLOWED]: heh... that option is only for stones actually. They can be sharpened (hence have an edge...).

And yeah, because my coding style is: make something work as fast as possible and anyway possible, so claiming a fortress will be bad, claiming twice will be bad, claiming overlapping territory will be bad. And yes it does make the building stay even after you leave. Run "lair" command to make items not scatter too.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2014, 05:45:34 pm »

About [NO_EDGE_ALLOWED]: heh... that option is only for stones actually. They can be sharpened (hence have an edge...).

And yeah, because my coding style is: make something work as fast as possible and anyway possible, so claiming a fortress will be bad, claiming twice will be bad, claiming overlapping territory will be bad. And yes it does make the building stay even after you leave. Run "lair" command to make items not scatter too.
Beware that running lair might cause new guests to arrive, so watch out for visitors.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2014, 07:45:37 pm »

Guide for Getting Started with AdvFort:

1) Option A: Install DFHack using these install instructions.
    Option B: Download and use the starter pack if you have Windows. There are others for Mac and Linux here but I can't guarantee they'll work with this and anyways this entire guide is Windows-specific, sorry.

2) Save this into hack/scripts/gui/advfort.lua (right click, save link as), overwriting any existing advfort.lua

3) Save this into hack/scripts/gui/advfort_items.lua (right click, save link as), overwriting any existing advfort_items.lua

4) In the main DF folder, find dfhack.init and add the following near the top (for convenience's sake) like above Lethosor's scripts:
Code: [Select]
# keybinding for AdvFort
keybinding add Ctrl-T "gui/advfort"

5) Create file called init.lua (e.g. create empty text file and rename to init.lua) in df/raw/ folder if it does not already exist (it probably won't). There's usually not many other files in this folder, just folders like the objects folder. Don't put it in the objects folder.

6) Follow these instructions. This can't be much simpler, because if you were given raw files to download they could overwrite other existing mods and you would be sad.

7) Create a new world. These things didn't apply to my current worlds, only new worlds, but then maybe I messed something up. To be safe, just do it.

8) <-- (#@*%ing emoticons) If you want immediate dig ability without having to luck into finding some guy's pick: When in game, go to DFHack and type createitem WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK INORGANIC:IRON 1     All capital letters is important! It will appear in same space as you.

9) If you did not start as axeman and you want immediate wood cutting ability and don't want to wander around for 10 minutes to find an axe: When in game, go to DFHack and type createitem WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE INORGANIC:IRON 1     All capital letters is important! It will appear in same space as you.

10) When in game, press Ctrl-T to open the menu. To get out just hit esc. If you see all black you are probably using TWBT, either you installed it yourself or you're using the starter pack. TWBT makes other levels visible, it's totally worth it when you're not using AdvFort. Anyway, you need to go to the graphics tab in the Lazy Newb Pack window and choose print mode: 2D before starting the game.

11) The very first thing you should do is press ? while in ctrl-T menu - this will explain how to do stuff in up or down directions. Don't go pressing alt-5 on numpad and thinking you'll carve a ramp down - alt 8 or 2 will careful move and do jobs in that direction, but ctrl-5 is down and ctrl-e is up. If you alt-5 it'll be all like "you need a wall!" which does not mean something to either side, it means wall/floor/ceiling. Also, if you have another item equipped as a weapon even with a pick out it won't work. You gotta have only the pick. And for a down staircase you create a down staircase where you are (just hit 5) then an updown staircase below it (ctrl-5), etc.

12) To change jobs you do not hit R or T, you hit shift-R or shift-T. These are the defaults. You'll need the correct tools for the jobs. See ITEM_WEAPON_PICK up there in that thing I said to do? If you want the tools without mining/creating in workshop, go to the page for said tool on DF wiki, scroll down to raws, and find the correct raw.

13) Warmist has a good rundown on how to do a buncha stuff. First go to DFHack and type createitem FIGURINE INORGANIC:IRON 1   (caps are important), then grab the figurine (make sure it isn't in your backpack) hit x and claim a proper site, then do that stuff. Oh wait, having trouble with, say, workshop? You gotta have the mats (and you'll need the anvil reaction for a smithy), then you gotta make the workshop, that only makes plans so you gotta careful move into it again to actually build it, then press . (period) once to go through the x amount of moves to do the job. Then you gotta press tab to use the workshop to build stuffs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:14:02 am by Isher »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2014, 09:30:50 pm »

The thing is with the axe it's not the only thing you need for lumber, since most of the sites don't remember changes that happen to them in adventure mode outside of player forts, you can scavenge as much resource you need.
So you can just freely take chunks out of stuff with remove construction but note this only works on constructions and not say buildings so all doors you rip out, wells you dissembled, workshops in mountain homes you break down will be gone for good. If you have an axe this just means every single tree that not on a player site will return next time you return to the area.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2014, 05:21:10 am »

Just updated install-guide, now it needs another file (the screen that selects items).

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2014, 06:33:17 am »

Didn't realize this had been updated to 40.xx, cool.

Does claiming your own site still cause critters to multiply like crazy?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31