Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Adventurer Fort: still useful i guess  (Read 139408 times)

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort building (aka dfhack r3 was released)
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2013, 12:56:34 pm »

Shakes head sadly - I can't even imagine the spaghetti code that must be under the hood, then.  And here I thought programming was about logic!  This is truly one hell of an organic system.
Found the problem: Having too many food items around confuses the adventurer. Therefore, try building your kitchen away from towns or cities and then drop the food items you want to cook into the center of the shop. Items in containers such as bags of milled things work too. Now if only the farmer's workshop worked...
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2013, 08:12:52 pm »

Shakes head sadly - I can't even imagine the spaghetti code that must be under the hood, then.  And here I thought programming was about logic!  This is truly one hell of an organic system.
Found the problem: Having too many food items around confuses the adventurer. Therefore, try building your kitchen away from towns or cities and then drop the food items you want to cook into the center of the shop. Items in containers such as bags of milled things work too. Now if only the farmer's workshop worked...
wait that's the issue? Since that's more an issue with Fort mode logic working with adventure mode area than the script. building/doing jobs in a town that has a shop or a general store might lead to your character rushing over to grab that item since it exist then walk to far and end up canceling the job due to the site loaded a new area.

oh yeah about the farmers market... I guess warmist never work on adding farmer's market jobs to the workshop. sorry blokes.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2013, 01:07:19 pm »

Awesome! I really like the idea of being able to have a fleshy god castle. :D This really should be vanilla though, so setting up camp would feel cooler with a "tent".  :D

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 09:20:47 pm »

Not sure why this is but maybe it helps someone else.

Recently someone came back into the dfhack irc channel with an odd problem. Just can't mine. Sure before he had a messed up hand and that probably got in the way of things checking out properly. This time fresh healthy adventurer with a pick in each hand. Still couldn't mine.

having had some very minor success with lua I decided to try looking at his problem... and the Predicate check in advfort specifically. But not being an adventurer person I checked a random actually mining miner in fortmode first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ending up with that bit of commandline above. All was golden. So having puzzled out all the pieces to make the above line I took the plunge (maybe my third adventurer ever) gave myself some mining skill... and via the console a pick. Puzzled out making sure it was equipped, and tried the script. No "yay". Curious I tried mining a wall anyway. Nope hated my adventurers limbs -or something as that was the part that refused to "yay" when rebuilt from scratch.

so I go to line 195 and I change it to:
and then escape out the the advfort gui before I hit save in UltraEdit. Restarting the gui I found chopping trees, and mining now worked.

I mean it's still doing a skillcheck, and still requiring it equipped to FIND it to check the skill so... it should be helpful... *ramble ramble ramble* In any event... Surely the adventuremode body isn't that different? I hope this helps narrow down any issues or is helpful in any way.
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2013, 04:38:51 am »

Not sure why this is but maybe it helps someone else.

Recently someone came back into the dfhack irc channel with an odd problem. Just can't mine. Sure before he had a messed up hand and that probably got in the way of things checking out properly. This time fresh healthy adventurer with a pick in each hand. Still couldn't mine.

having had some very minor success with lua I decided to try looking at his problem... and the Predicate check in advfort specifically. But not being an adventurer person I checked a random actually mining miner in fortmode first.

Ending up with that bit of commandline above. All was golden. So having puzzled out all the pieces to make the above line I took the plunge (maybe my third adventurer ever) gave myself some mining skill... and via the console a pick. Puzzled out making sure it was equipped, and tried the script. No "yay". Curious I tried mining a wall anyway. Nope hated my adventurers limbs -or something as that was the part that refused to "yay" when rebuilt from scratch.

so I go to line 195 and I change it to:
and then escape out the the advfort gui before I hit save in UltraEdit. Restarting the gui I found chopping trees, and mining now worked.

I mean it's still doing a skillcheck, and still requiring it equipped to FIND it to check the skill so... it should be helpful... *ramble ramble ramble* In any event... Surely the adventuremode body isn't that different? I hope this helps narrow down any issues or is helpful in any way.

Hmm that is strange. That check is for item to be equipped in your weapon hand (or body part). Because if you equip a shield in your weapon hand and pick in the other one than mining/cutting trees does not work and DF says nothing. Anyway at least that is what it's supposed to do...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2013, 04:44:48 pm »

so warmist have you heard of the farmers workshop not working?
"body swapping and YOU!"

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2013, 01:38:31 pm »

Some news on the brewing front... seems like the crash is linked to the amount of plants available for brewing dropped in the active tile of the still :
- One (stack of) plant + one free barrel -> no crash
- One (stack of) plant + two free barrel -> no crash
- Two (stack of) plants + one free barrel -> Crash (tried once)
- Multiple plants + multiple barrels -> almost certain crash (tried *several* time)

So, play it safe - only one plant at a time, drop the others next to the still.

EDIT : This is in addition of the "no plants in backpack, drop them in the still" constraint already discovered by Dragoon_103.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:16:54 pm by Yag Alone »

catvanbrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 08:28:53 pm »

one question how do you catch and tame a animal?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2013, 01:22:45 pm »

I believe the animal needs to be a "historic person" (ie: mentioned in Legends mode), then you can use dfhack's "adv-bodyswap force" to posses it, both taming it and adding it to your group.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 04:07:31 pm »

one question how do you catch and tame a animal?
or you just use dfusion's make companion to add it to your group. though you might need to set the Civ number to the animal to the number of your character. to keep it from being wild/hostile.
getting gm-editor helps with the second part.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2013, 08:00:06 pm »

So, a few small questions.

From the looks of things, if I wanted to make a permanent building in adventure mode, I'd have to use dfusion to create say, a lair site where I want to make the building, then run the script that changes the game to fort mode, (tofort I believe), have the adventurer put together the construction part of the fort, then switch the game back to adventurer mode. Normal buildings like workshops can be built with advfort, but constructions and digging projects will reset themselves when the site is re/unloaded.

Am I getting this all right?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2013, 01:50:01 am »

So, a few small questions.

From the looks of things, if I wanted to make a permanent building in adventure mode, I'd have to use dfusion to create say, a lair site where I want to make the building, then run the script that changes the game to fort mode, (tofort I believe), have the adventurer put together the construction part of the fort, then switch the game back to adventurer mode. Normal buildings like workshops can be built with advfort, but constructions and digging projects will reset themselves when the site is re/unloaded.

Am I getting this all right?
well just non Fort sites you can build on, hamlets and everything else doesn't. mostly I guess due to the game doesn't save terrain or constructions in the site. though only just terrain and constructions
another thing is any changes is save to the site, and sites overlapping will switch between sites to load. so it's possible to run multiple forts on top of each other by getting dwarf hack to switching focus.
though you end up with bounding box issues and vanishing dwarves.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »

Can advfort be used to place a nesting box usable by an egg-laying pet in the adventuring party?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2013, 06:04:00 am »

yes... you can speed up the hatching process too.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Kelenius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2013, 02:50:33 pm »

Is there a way to melt an object?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31