Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Adventurer Fort: still useful i guess  (Read 141004 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort building (aka dfhack r3 was released)
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2013, 03:44:10 pm »

This is amazing! I've always wanted adventure mode to be like this, making my own things and building my own house. Too bad about the bugs, though.
I'm only really having problems making prepared meals in the kitchen and doing things above or below myself. Whenever I try to make a prepared meal, my adventurer just walks to one corner of the kitchen and stands there regardless of whether or not I have food items left out to use. Anyone have any advice?
ah don't worry about the bugs half the fun is finding a quirk and using that to your advantage (unless it crash your game) yeah you also have that now new issue where doing jobs above and below you don't work? sucks I know so far it only seems to pop up with the patch. okay I might dive into traps so you can cage trap folks in game.

what is his hunger and thirst levels?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:33:54 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2013, 11:23:00 pm »

To do jobs above/below you, first "l"ook there, and then press Numpad Enter when you select appropriate action.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 12:30:20 am »

To do jobs above/below you, first "l"ook there, and then press Numpad Enter when you select appropriate action.
of if your lucky enough it's Shift/ctrl-5
"body swapping and YOU!"

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 01:19:42 am »

I figured it out shortly after posting. Thanks, though.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2013, 02:49:11 am »

So artifacts and books have this weird bug in vanilla when you take them away from the site where they were made, in that they'll disappear or be able to be "l"ooked at, but not held, or (in the case of books especially) will copy themselves so that there are now two, one at the original site and one with the adventurer.  What seems to stop this bug from occurring is when the object or book is contained in a bin or something before it leaves the site - so I was wondering how difficult it would be to create a "weightless transparent bin" to place the artifact or book in before taking it away from the site?  Sort of a kludge I know, but there you have it.

Another thing that would be really great in adventure mode is the ability to build a "display case" like so many mods have in fortress mode.  I haven't downloaded r3 yet, so if this is already there, please feel free to ignore this suggestion, but if not, it would be really great to be able to set up a "trophy room" for my adventurer's home, displaying all the cool but useless crap collected over the course of his/her various journeys.  (Also, I'm playing in Bralbaard's Museum game too and display cases would be such a cool addition)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 01:26:23 pm »

So artifacts and books have this weird bug in vanilla when you take them away from the site where they were made, in that they'll disappear or be able to be "l"ooked at, but not held, or (in the case of books especially) will copy themselves so that there are now two, one at the original site and one with the adventurer.  What seems to stop this bug from occurring is when the object or book is contained in a bin or something before it leaves the site - so I was wondering how difficult it would be to create a "weightless transparent bin" to place the artifact or book in before taking it away from the site?  Sort of a kludge I know, but there you have it.

Another thing that would be really great in adventure mode is the ability to build a "display case" like so many mods have in fortress mode.  I haven't downloaded r3 yet, so if this is already there, please feel free to ignore this suggestion, but if not, it would be really great to be able to set up a "trophy room" for my adventurer's home, displaying all the cool but useless crap collected over the course of his/her various journeys.  (Also, I'm playing in Bralbaard's Museum game too and display cases would be such a cool addition)

I think you'd need to re-gen a world with the display case building added, but that's about it. Building it without your adventurer grabbing the wrong things or putting their pants on display or something might be a hassle, but still doable.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2013, 01:41:43 pm »

Warmist has updated the advfort with ability to limit/allow specific buildings to specific races.

I use it in the latest Genesis version where Dwarves have extra buildings and all useless things are gone from the list. Check it and make suggestions :).

The next thing which is logical is to make special buildings for goblins/evil races only which are related to various evil things and dark magic.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:45 pm »

Urist McGamer mentioned this, and I haven't heard anybody else address it. How does one make Prepared Meals? Deon's mini-tutorial mentioned dropping items into the workshop, but I can't figure out if that means something other than simply dropping the item onto the ground, or something secret that actually adds it "inside" the workshop.

EDIT: I just figured it out. There's no way to get into the stocks screen and enable items for cooking/brewing in the kitchen screen. DF doesn't find any valid reagents, so you fail to produce anything and the workshop cancels the job.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:35:22 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 02:42:18 pm »

Was thinking about this for awhile and I think I have a work-around for the "extra creatures" bug that happens with abandoned forts which are then slept in/revisited by adventurers:  I believe Dfhack is able to "see" all the creatures (and how many of each category) that have been loaded in a site.  The bug has an exponential increase in creature entities that is more or less straightforward, so perhaps the solution is to log all the types of creatures and their local population amounts in a temporary file, then change the population amounts to half that number of creatures for each type using the "region-pops" script.  To keep the process "behind the scenes", have it activate each time an adventurer "sleeps" AND the fps is below a certain threshold.

If this is doable, recurring sites will get culled each time the adventurer sleeps there, maintaining the population numbers without creating situations where a half a group of <insert creature here> suddenly disappears when the adventurer paths into a new area.

I figure that since we know which situations will cause the bug to manifest, proactively setting up a counter-bug to solve that situation may negate it's affect to fps before it has a chance to kill it.

Pretty much, "go to sleep, things will look better in the morning"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:05:53 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 04:03:10 pm »

Actually it's way worse. What is missing is the "creature groups" or some "local spawn points". Because basically this happened (i.e. my nightmare):
  • Noticed it lags after reloading due to high creature count. Easy kill/remove no more lag
  • Next sleep they are back and double. Kill/remove + remove local populations
  • Did not help. Back and twice the amount again. Kill/remove + remove global populations (this means that world does not have ANY creatures left).
  • Did not help. Back and twice AGAIN! Noticed that it also spawns ~10x items for each creature... Removed those too....
  • nothing helPED.. CrEaturEs appear at SmaALL groupsS of 140k with 1mil iteMS. TUrns Take 1 min EAach. My SANITY oh my SANITY>>>>
Also did some exploration in the unknown structures but nothing popped up. Basically demon and cave creature "spawn groups" or something get loaded AND then re-added from some sort of population pool. This would explain the item spawning too. If this is found and nuked (every so often) it should work ok. And maybe a bin-patch could be made. But for that somebody needs to disassemble that code and go on an adventure with it. AND THAN SLAY LIKE BOOSSSS.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »

Was thinking about this for awhile and I think I have a work-around for the "extra creatures" bug that happens with abandoned forts which are then slept in/revisited by adventurers:  I believe Dfhack is able to "see" all the creatures (and how many of each category) that have been loaded in a site.  The bug has an exponential increase in creature entities that is more or less straightforward, so perhaps the solution is to log all the types of creatures and their local population amounts in a temporary file, then change the population amounts to half that number of creatures for each type using the "region-pops" script.  To keep the process "behind the scenes", have it activate each time an adventurer "sleeps" AND the fps is below a certain threshold.

If this is doable, recurring sites will get culled each time the adventurer sleeps there, maintaining the population numbers without creating situations where a half a group of <insert creature here> suddenly disappears when the adventurer paths into a new area.

I figure that since we know which situations will cause the bug to manifest, proactively setting up a counter-bug to solve that situation may negate it's affect to fps before it has a chance to kill it.

Pretty much, "go to sleep, things will look better in the morning"
well seeing how sleeping isn't a factor any more due to fort mode jobs forcing you to take care of your needs first. you could sleep through the night. though the issue with the bug is migrating units can not Leave the boarders like in fort mode, which leads to them to enter but never leave the area. Toady go around this by having migrating units hit the edge of the play field and hope the adventurer loads them off. though I kinda found switching to fort mode on to the site to lock the boarders then go in to murder every single wild animal on the property is a better solution(will only work on 1x1 or 2x2 size sites any larger and adventure mode will reload a part of the map and break the boarders.)

solution : DON'T Shift+Z Sleep ON YOUR FORT, 1x1 is good enough if you shrink the area, make sure to murder every thing that moves with your bare hands so that they end up in the history books and stay dead. or just figure out what makes human forts clean and use that as a base.

fun tip on getting a easy axe to chop wood if you start off with nothign, first find a hamlet deconstruct the wooden blocks and build yourself a carpenter workshop, use the remaining blocks to make a training wooden axe. presto now you have an axe sharp enough to cut down trees.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:52:15 am by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2013, 02:15:31 pm »

Urist McGamer mentioned this, and I haven't heard anybody else address it. How does one make Prepared Meals? Deon's mini-tutorial mentioned dropping items into the workshop, but I can't figure out if that means something other than simply dropping the item onto the ground, or something secret that actually adds it "inside" the workshop.

EDIT: I just figured it out. There's no way to get into the stocks screen and enable items for cooking/brewing in the kitchen screen. DF doesn't find any valid reagents, so you fail to produce anything and the workshop cancels the job.

Funny thing, I had it work once in an old save I added DFhack to. I've never gotten it to work again. Now, the farmer's workshop on the other hand... I don't think it works at all.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2013, 12:25:46 am »

Shakes head sadly - I can't even imagine the spaghetti code that must be under the hood, then.  And here I thought programming was about logic!  This is truly one hell of an organic system.   

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2013, 10:03:29 pm »

I wield bronze great axe, and for some reason I cannot chop down trees ("you do not have required tool").

One of my arms is damaged, but that's it. Any idea how to fix it?

You can't use a great axe to cut trees, you need a battle axe.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 09:18:06 am »

I wield bronze great axe, and for some reason I cannot chop down trees ("you do not have required tool").

One of my arms is damaged, but that's it. Any idea how to fix it?

You can't use a great axe to cut trees, you need a battle axe.
or a training axe.
you can make one easily by going to a hamlet and tearing down their walls for wood.
though by then you could just deconstruct hamlets for supplies then build a fort from that.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31