Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Adventurer Fort: still useful i guess  (Read 139359 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort building (aka dfhack r3 was released)
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2014, 06:47:40 pm »

I can't seem to figure out how to gather plants - apparently I'm missing a key command.  There is no command for careful move same square, and trying to alt+move to any square with plants tells me I need to be in the same square.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to edit the init files more or something?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2014, 06:55:43 pm »

I can't seem to figure out how to gather plants - apparently I'm missing a key command.  There is no command for careful move same square, and trying to alt+move to any square with plants tells me I need to be in the same square.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to edit the init files more or something?

You have to be directly on the plant. Then press 5 on your numpad.

There is no way to carefully step onto a plant, you can only hope you don't accidentally kill it when you walk on it. Though it's more likely that the plant will be fine.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2014, 03:40:53 pm »

Im trying to build a workshop, so it started saying 1 instead of -1 and he just walked around with a log doing nothing at all.
I keep passing turns for what seems like forever and its still not done. Then I tried removing it "can only do on constructions" then i tried building a new, it did the same except it just said -1 instead of 1 again. Am I doing something wrong?
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2014, 03:54:09 pm »

Im trying to build a workshop, so it started saying 1 instead of -1 and he just walked around with a log doing nothing at all.
I keep passing turns for what seems like forever and its still not done. Then I tried removing it "can only do on constructions" then i tried building a new, it did the same except it just said -1 instead of 1 again. Am I doing something wrong?

Check to make sure you aren't hungry or thirsty, as that may interrupt job behaviour, causing the adventurer to wander off or just do nothing. A similar thing will occur when you are tired, but instead of wandering around, your adventurer will sleep on the spot instead.

To remove a building, use the "remove building" job, not the "remove construction" job, which I'm guessing you tried due to the error.

Remove the building, place a new one, press '5' on the numpad while standing on the workshop's outline to trigger the build job, then keep pressing wait while your adventurer automatically grabs a nearby building material, moves over to the workshop, and builds it.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2014, 05:47:01 pm »

Okay I have a new problem, when using a workbench all that happens is that the guy grabs the wood and goes back to the thing, then it says -1 for a turn and then nothing at all. The pine log stays.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2014, 05:59:50 pm »

Okay I have a new problem, when using a workbench all that happens is that the guy grabs the wood and goes back to the thing, then it says -1 for a turn and then nothing at all. The pine log stays.

A bit strange. Is this a custom workshop or reaction?

Make sure that the only thing you do while the adventurer is doing the job is press the wait button. If you attempt to move your character it may get confused, leaving your character doing nothing.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2014, 10:47:14 pm »

A bit strange. Is this a custom workshop or reaction?

Make sure that the only thing you do while the adventurer is doing the job is press the wait button. If you attempt to move your character it may get confused, leaving your character doing nothing.

Yeah its a custom workbench, I checked its reaction and all it seems to need is wood.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2014, 11:01:11 am »

I can't get anvil smelting to show up as a thing in the smelter menu. I managed to get smelting steel to show up but even adding in permitted_reaction anvil smelting doesn't help. Any suggestions? I want to make my own steel armor before going up against megabeasts.
I just tried putting the reaction underneath a different one, and I got it to show up in the workshop menu, but when I select it I'm instead taken to a menu like in fortress mode and the fortress mode music starts playing. Pretty stumped.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:41:22 am by Rakonas »

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »

I need to lurk more. I can't believe I haven't found about this earlier. Now I'm in love with you.

MinethatCrackers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2014, 02:34:04 pm »

I can't seem to chop down a tree. I stole an axe and am holding it in my left (and only) hand, but when alt-moving into trees I just get the announcement saying I don't have the right tool equipped. Is it because I am prone, because I cannot stand back up. I am trying to chop down the tree to make a crutch for myself...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2014, 04:44:43 pm »

I can't seem to chop down a tree. I stole an axe and am holding it in my left (and only) hand, but when alt-moving into trees I just get the announcement saying I don't have the right tool equipped. Is it because I am prone, because I cannot stand back up. I am trying to chop down the tree to make a crutch for myself...

Do you know if you were left-handed before losing it? I think that it checks your main hand when looking for tools, but I'm not completely sure.

MinethatCrackers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2014, 09:27:22 am »

Do you know if you were left-handed before losing it? I think that it checks your main hand when looking for tools, but I'm not completely sure.
Pretty sure I wasn't left handed, that is probably the issue. I'll settle my old adventurer somewhere, make a new one, craft a crutch, starve to death, and bring Sedast out of retirement to claim his prize.
EDIT: Is it required that you hold a crutch in your dominant hand too? Because if so this adventurer may be in for a long retirement. I can't seem to get him to stand up while holding the crutch.
EDIT: Nope, I figured it out. Heavy bruising on the lower spine, so both legs are paralyzed. That means the crutch is worthless. I wonder if I can retire him at a necro tower?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:00:42 am by MinethatCrackers »

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2014, 06:58:15 pm »

Has anyone else had this problem? Sometimes, when I try to perform an action, it will say "working (-1)" and move me one space away, in an apparently random direction. When this happens, hitting . to one-step will cause me to either move randomly, or backtrack. This is with dfhack r5 on Linux.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2014, 07:10:50 pm »

Has anyone else had this problem? Sometimes, when I try to perform an action, it will say "working (-1)" and move me one space away, in an apparently random direction. When this happens, hitting . to one-step will cause me to either move randomly, or backtrack. This is with dfhack r5 on Linux.

Your adventurer may be hungry or thirsty, which can disrupt jobs. Try eating or drinking.

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2014, 11:26:22 pm »

Looking back through the thread, I see a lot of people running into that, but describing it in different ways.

Anyway, next question that I'm sure's been answered before: when I try to build something, the menu just says "No matching buildings" in every category. Typing in the name of a workshop or building doesn't do anything. Having a building material on hand or nearby has no impact.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31