Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!  (Read 18064 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:33:44 pm »

Pathfinder campaign
The Age of Discovery

"You've heard of the stories, we all have... The great riches of the Americas, wondrous artifacts and piles of gold in the cities of the lost. But don't let that tempt you, don't let the shine of the gold blind your eyes... The new world is full of terrors and vile sorcery, colonies being burned down overnight, the undead haunting the realm of the living, whatever you can think of, the Americas will be worse."

The year is 1658, the Age of Discovery. Many men crossed the vast seas in the hopes of finding prosperity among the lands of the new world. It was a damgerous time; The european superpowers competed against each other, fighting over the control of the seas and land. Many have fought in the name of their kings and queens, and many have fell under their flags. But the true danger lied elsewhere. The new worlds weren't quite like the old world they came from. Great beasts and the witches of the wilds, unholy creatures of the night and sea monsters preying on sailors and colonists alike, the land was full of peril and danger. They weren't just stories that come from a dirty old sailor, at least, not the kind you can easily disdain. They were real, as real as they can ever become.

The colonists struggled to thrive. They mainly cultivated cash crops to sell to the old world. Hunger, poverty and pirates plundering their shipment to the journey back home was always a problem, but bigger threats kept the colonists from taking the inlands for their rights to claim. Villages went dark overnight, towns got reduced to ashes with the blink of their eyes, and not many survived to tell the tales. By the year 1658, the upper east coast of the Americas was mostly colonnized, the Britains had New England colonies and colonies along the bay of Massachusetts, and the French had took the northern area. The natives did not like their overgrowth, not one bit. There were dwarves of the north, stocky, short people with beards that reached their bellies. They lived mostly up north, among the mountains, but as the french started building forts more and more towards the inlands, they did not tolerate. There were werewolves to the east, within the vast coniferous forests, they hunted at night in packs, and their numbers were many. Goblins and orcs of the carribean harassed the spanish colony of St.Augustine with their giant plunder ships and devious tactics. In short, the Americas was a fool's gold. It was ripe for taking, full of riches and opportunity, but no matter how hard you tried, you could never take it.

It was the year of science and rationalism, science began to be valued more than magic, and a lot of man devoted their lives to improving people's lives without the use of magic. Spiritual world was not of their concern; They focused purely on the material world. The Grand Inquisition of the Spaniards did not go in favor of the mages and the wizards as well; a lot were executed in the name of God. Even many clerics were lost in the fires of excommunication, labeled as heretics, and only a few were admitted as 'Saints' and kept their lives. But not all magic was lost. Many wizards and sorcerers went into hiding, or even fled from Western Europe, to the lands where magic was still considered sacred and benefit. Still, many nations and city states beyond the seven seas had magic. Some even developed their own arts of magic in particular schools.

You are on your way to Jamestown, on a ship named Atropos. You've been sailing day and night. It was the cheapest ship you could afford heading to the Americas. You were being showered with sea water, and you smell a little better than gutter rats. You've been eating nothing but hard tack and salted meat, and you start to think that it's about time that you landed ashore...

Greetings, watchers of the bay! I've been thinking about setting up a campaign for a long time, and with some external help, I finally started getting the hang of it.
The session will be held on Sunday 12pm EST(which is GMT -5:00), so hopefully this will be a European friendly game.
I only recently started playing, so I'm not really good with this, but there's a first for everything, right? (Reads: You will horribly die due to the DM being an utter noob.)

As you might have noticed, this campaign will be quite different from other pathfinder campaigns. This campaign will be based on 17th century real world, and that officially makes this campaign's theme alternate history. I will try my best to integrate fantasy into it, but I'm still compiling the lore itself, so it will take a while until you guys can here about the details.

The campaign will be relatively easy in terms of combat difficulty, don't expect me to randomly throw CR 15 Deathmetal Draugr Murderboss Overlord™ at you every encounter, this campaign will be a dialogue heavy one, meaning roleplaying is encouraged, and will be rewarded. Expect a story/plot driven campaign. You will still die though, very painfully.

We are using Roll20.com.

Spoiler: Houserules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)

Applications are welcome, I may advice you to alter some parts of your backstory, as the lore is not exactly complete yet.
Characters of all classes and all allignments are welcome, including the ones from the east, like samurai and ninjas. We are using 20 points buy system.
HERE is the source material needed for making a character.
HERE is a character generator that might come in handy. Web-browser based.
HERE is a character generator Lorgath found. Has more utility than above. Downloadable.
Include a brief description of your character. It can be her physical description, the summary of her backstory, or even a flashcard of her goals/character.
I am looking for a 6 player party, so if you are interested in Gas Lamp Fantasy / Seafaring campaign set in Alternate history, this is your chance! Start sending your applications today!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:26:21 pm by DoomOnion »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:35:14 pm »

Reserved for future usage!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:35:58 pm »

Good luck Doomy!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:38:06 pm »

What day? :V

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:38:43 pm »

What day? :V
xD Sorry, the OP has been fixed.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 06:45:12 pm »

Signing up for this and I assume that this is a human only campaign
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:50:21 pm »

I'll be in, for now.  Any specific rules on classes available or other stuff?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:51:00 pm »

Signing up for this and I assume that this is a human only campaign

OP has been updated. If you want to pick other fantasy races, either gimme a good backstory about them, and convince me that you ARE the right person to roleplay them, or give me a good lore for them to fit in real world.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:51:31 pm »

I'll be in, for now.  Any specific rules on classes available or other stuff?
No class restrictions. As mentioned in the OP.

Lorgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 07:27:51 pm »

Well you already know what I think of the idea, so hooray!

Looking forward to getting stuck into this one.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 09:16:36 pm »

Well, I'm thinking about joining this one too. Maybe if you can give some info regarding the setting...

I mean, if we have real life stuff and DnD stuff here, can I be a Cleric of Allah and stuff like that? :D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 09:41:56 pm »

I'm interested, but I'd have to read up on Pathfinder rules. I also have a few thoughts.

1, What platform? Maptools, irc, play-by-post, or something else?
2, 17th century, you say? French should totally be Common. English is a gluttural language spoken only in backwards places by shepherds and dungfarmers :P
3, This probably belongs in FG&RP.
Love, scriver~

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:59:47 pm »

Well, I'm thinking about joining this one too. Maybe if you can give some info regarding the setting...

I mean, if we have real life stuff and DnD stuff here, can I be a Cleric of Allah and stuff like that? :D
Yes, yes you absolutely can!

The settings is still being written, I do not intend on turning this into a historical education game, but I'm trying to put in some interesting real life incidents into the game as well, so Lorgath and I've been going through tons of wikipedia articles lately. It'll take some time.

I'm interested, but I'd have to read up on Pathfinder rules. I also have a few thoughts.

1, What platform? Maptools, irc, play-by-post, or something else?
2, 17th century, you say? French should totally be Common. English is a gluttural language spoken only in backwards places by shepherds and dungfarmers :P
3, This probably belongs in FG&RP.

1. We will use Roll20.
2. I did not know that! Care to elaborate? Any form of information is welcome regarding to enriching the campaign.
3. You are actually quite right.. but due to the previous 2 pathfinder games belonging here, I didn't really think any of the previous european players who couldn't join because of time zone issues would look for a new pathfinder game in FG&RP section of the forums...  :)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 10:05:00 pm »

Well, to begin with, it's called "lingua franca" for a reason :P

But yeah, it's 4 in the morning here, I can elaborate and do research (by which I mean finding the correct Wikipedia article and quoting it ;) ) in the morning, I'm about to fall asleep.
Love, scriver~

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:12:03 pm »

Well, to begin with, it's called "lingua franca" for a reason :P

But yeah, it's 4 in the morning here, I can elaborate and do research (by which I mean finding the correct Wikipedia article and quoting it ;) ) in the morning, I'm about to fall asleep.

Well damn, I've looked up the wikipedia article myself, I will fix it as soon as possible(read:later). I hearby declare that our characters will speak French as our common tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15