Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!  (Read 18298 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2013, 07:22:26 am »

Can I have a summary? Did anyone take logs?
Love, scriver~

Lorgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2013, 08:18:30 am »

Well, first we were all like "ARRRGH we be a sailin'" and then we were like "ARRGH! There be the British" and then we were like "Arrrrgh we be boarded!" and then suddenly: Kraken. Then that Rolepgeek's mad-bitch-witch was like "Muadiiiiiiiib!" and flipped out and kicked the shit of a platoon of marines and sprayed colour spray on everything which was like a total mess and really hard to wash out, man. And me and bdthemag were like pew pew pew whilst Kansa's Ladyperson went hiiiyah whack and stuff. Then that seriously hungry Kraken OMNOMNOMED our ship and we all died. OH WAIT NO then we woke up in Jamestown. SUDDENLY ZOMBIES! AT THE WALLS! And we were like busy going "ohhaiIamwhatshernamepleasedtomeetyou" but naturally I was like fukdisshit pirates need no names and I whipped out my pistol and sorted out some zeds. Hoo-ah.

No, seriously though, it was actually really good fun. We did a lot more in character talking than even many face to face games I've been in too. I just havn't had any sleep. I might write up Blackthorne's own thoughts on the events of the day when I'm a little less insane from too little sleep.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2013, 10:11:57 am »

Back in town and working on the mechanical end of my character, and I have a question. What is Christianity's favored weapon?

Lorgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2013, 10:12:47 am »

Guilt.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2013, 10:13:50 am »

Har har.

Yeah, you can still use the existing dieties for technical stuff, but you don't actually believe in those, it's more like, an aspect of a religion you believe in, if you understand.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2013, 10:23:19 am »

Also, I can't find what we are doing for starting ability scores? Are we rolling or using a points system to buy em?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2013, 10:31:51 am »

We are using 20 point buy system. I should make it more clear in the OP.. tomorrow. (Hehehe)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39:48 am »

Right. Thanks.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2013, 10:42:23 am »

Don't forget I may have almost killed a kraken.

And also critical neck hit on the officer.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:39 am »

Whooshbangboom Summary
Guilt.
Lorgath, I want to appoint you official community liaison for this game because your comments are great. Unfortunately I'm not actually involved in the game in any way so I have no power to do this, but still, do it anyway! :P
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2013, 05:40:14 pm »

Two things.

'Relatively easy in terms of combat difficulty' was a lie.

Second, why is there no price reduction? Think of this. I have human warriors in my militia. Let's say that one man costs 2 gp, since hiring a merc for a day costs 2 sp(in 3.5, can't find in pathfinder), and they aren't mercs, they're defending their homes, yadda yadda yadda.
Now, I can either have a musket and ten bullets issued for a single man. His feats will be, oh, Point Blank Shot, and Run. Run seems strange, but it's a good choice, since it means he can get in range more quickly to ignore armor saves. He will also be issued leather armor and a buckler as some basic, cheap armor that allows him to still run and use his gun. This in total costs about 1627 gp. Exactly that, actually.
Now on the other side, I'll have four men, with heavy repeating crossbows, and two clips of five bolts each. Their feats will be Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Repeating Heavy Crossbow), and either Toughness or Improved Initiative. They'll be issued basic uniforms, as guns blow through armor easily. This costs 1620 gp.
Let's assume, that, for both sides, the Stats block is the following: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 9.

The Musketeer now has a total of +2 to hit with his gun(+3 if within 30 ft), which has a 40 ft range, and hits against touch AC within that range, deals 1d12 damage, and has a critical of x4. It also misfires on a 1 or 2, and needs a full round action to reload. I didn't give him rapid reload, because a standard action still means he can only fire every other round.
Lets assume that he's going up against the crossbowmen, with their touch AC of 11, and he's managed to get in range. This means that on average, he'll hit 60% of the time. 10% of the time, he'll misfire, but let's put that aside for now, as it's almost completely chance and will screw up my calculations.
He'll do about 4.355 damage every two rounds in this manner. If he's within forty feet. His effectiveness decreases tremendously if he's outside of it.
Okay? 2.1775 damage a round, average.

The Crossbowmen, meanwhile, have a total of +2 to hit with their weapons, which have a 120 ft range, deal 1d10 damage, crit on a 19-20, and need a full round action to reload every five rounds.
Against the musketeer, who has an AC of 14 total, so they'll hit about 40% of the time. This means about...let's see...8.06(repeating sixes) every round, and that's counting the full round action every five shots.

These people cost the same. The crossbowmen deal nearly four times the damage. They will have more than four times the health. It's your game, true, but if we ever get control of a fortress...my men won't be armed with guns, which misfire. I might have an elite troop of riders, preferably 6th to 7th level people, with rapid shot, rapid reload, and paper(or even better, metal) cartridges, and pepperboxes. This allows them to get off three shots every round. They would be for dealing with heavily armored people that my crossbowmen or longbowmen couldn't.

And remember this. That was with highly expensive repeating crossbows. Let's say I use light crossbows instead, and give my people rapid reload? I now have around 30 people firing every round vs. one musketeer, firing every other round.

tl;dr: Guns are shitty.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2013, 05:46:40 pm »

I would appreciate it if you could stop that.
If you really did play dnd for 10 years, you of all the people should know that of all the things, trying to make sense of dnd numbers is rather pointless and frustrating.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2013, 05:57:09 pm »

True. Sorry about that. I'd been thinking about it for a few hours, and had to say it. After all...even the speed of bows firing is pretty stupid in DnD. High levels can reach one arrow a second... And with the thing I was talking about with the pepperboxes? They're getting 30 rpm. With flintlocks.

Sorry Doom. On another note, can I sell my musket for scrap(4d10 gp or something) and buy a shortbow and/or longbow? Since the musket's broken?

Also, on a far lighter note, I should hope, from my rant and DoomOnions(appropriate) admonition...I think I may have found the basic stuff I want for my prestige class(which i should qualify for around seventh level), I just need someone to help me balance it. Is Other Games a good place to ask about that, or should I just use Mythweavers?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2013, 05:59:33 pm »

Hmm, yeah, you can sell tham for cash and buy things with it.
GirlinHat's Pathfinder thread is a good place to start, Naryar is rather well knowledged about such matters, and GirlinHat herself is quite well informed about Pathfinder materials.
Mythweavers can be an alternative choice, but I've never actually posted there, so, not really sure.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:02:08 pm by DoomOnion »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2013, 06:13:50 pm »

Could you direct me to said threads?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15