Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!  (Read 17747 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2013, 07:35:41 pm »

Well I spoke to Girlinhat about it, and she was somewhat helpful. Rather than design or balance a prestige class, she said that what I was doing wasn't what prestige classes were for. I'm wondering if I could use a custom archetype instead? It wouldn't make much of a difference until 6th or seventh level, but still.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2013, 11:18:31 pm »

I don't want this to turn in to some big numbers debate, so argument is in the spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, it sounds like you guys have a fun campaign going and it's made me read about half of the Pathfinder SRD site so far. That hasn't been great for my work output, to be honest.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:23:19 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2013, 11:25:54 pm »

Well I spoke to Girlinhat about it, and she was somewhat helpful. Rather than design or balance a prestige class, she said that what I was doing wasn't what prestige classes were for. I'm wondering if I could use a custom archetype instead? It wouldn't make much of a difference until 6th or seventh level, but still.

Well, if I remember correctly, you are using one or two archetypes already, right? and two archetypes or more cannot be taken at the same time if they both alter the same ability... meaning that it would be damn hard to design something like that :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:00 am »

Actually, no. I'm only using one, and it alters two things: One, how much of my Arcane Pool I get. And two, the Magus Arcana I would normally get at third level. So not too hard. The difficult part is in ensuring it's balanced.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2013, 02:51:57 pm »

Alright. Almost done with my character. Two issues remain.

1: How much money do we have to buy starting gear? And where on the downloadable template in the OP do we list our inventory other than Weapons and Armor?
2: I find the homebrew armor rules to be a bit overwhelming. Once I have everything else finished, would somebody be so kind as to pick my armor out for me if I upload my sheet somewhere?

Edit:

And a third that I forgot.

3: Speaking of overwhelming... SO MANY FEATS! I don't know where to start. Can anybody suggest something that is good for a cleric, or helps make up for the fact that I decided to use DEX as my dump stat?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:53:46 pm by Weirdsound »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2013, 03:14:22 pm »

What type of cleric are you playing?

And spoiler back? I like to debat, if you don't enjoy it, tell me and I'll stop.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: use the average starting money for a cleric, and I'll find you your armor if you tell me how much you're willing to spend on it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2013, 03:17:01 pm »

Just to point out, buns WERE mostly ineffective in their early years; sounds like Pathfinder is simulating those early years rather than, say, the 1600's. Presumably so classic fantasy heroes are still viable.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2013, 03:23:38 pm »

So, weird sound, I found an armor set that only costs 40 GP, and gets you an AC of 20, not counting dexterity. It does slow you down to 20 ft though. A slightlY more expensive set of 50 GP will get you a 17 AC, but you still have 30 ft speed. In both cases you have a heavy shield and this is factored in. In both cases you are wearing medium armor.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2013, 03:33:01 pm »

I'm Lawful Neutral (Channels positive energy), and using Law(Slavery) and Fire domains.

I'm sure I'll put up a proper post explaining my characters religious views, but the short version is that he is Christian, however after several years of wandering and experiencing hatred he has come to the conclusion that is okay to use infernal powers in self defense, to punish those who are excessively wicked or chaotic, and to bring order to savages. He tends to focus his studies and teachings more on Biblical Law than on the virtues of love and charity.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2013, 03:55:27 pm »

Okay, what I meant was; are you a healer cleric, a blaster cleric, a buffer cleric, or a basher cleric?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2013, 04:08:33 pm »

Huh. This is my first Cleric (And my first or second D&D/Pathfinder character in years, depending on if I get to play my first session of this or organized play first) so I didn't know I had to make that choice. From the way I understand how the class was worded, I get to pick whatever spells I need from the entire Cleric List at the start of each day, so I didn't think specialization was needed.

I think as I am, I can cast any cleric spell that isn't chaotic, and my Ability Scores are as follows. I'm kinda new, so if you think I'd be best as one of those Cleric Types in particular, let me know.

(Racial Mods for Devilspawn Tieflings are +2 Wis, +2 Con, -2 Cha)
STR 14
DEX 7
CON 14 (Originally 12)
INT 14
WIS 18 (Originally 16)
CHA 10 (Originally 12)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2013, 04:13:40 pm »

I think you can afford to dump charisma, and having 7 dex in a world where gunpowder is common is... not exactly smart, I would boost it up to at least 12.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2013, 04:15:01 pm »

You do, but feats, ability scores, and equipment aren't things you get to repackage at the beginning of each day. Thus, you should make a choice. From the looks of it, you're a combat cleric; buff yourself and friends, send out some damage to enemies if you can, then enter the fray and heal any allies who get into mortal danger nearby.

Time to look for feats.

But yeah, do you want higher AC, lower speed, or vice versa?

I think he wants charisma for the undead turnings. But yeah, low dexterity is rarely, if ever, good.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2013, 04:29:01 pm »

Do we have a Face in the party? I'll dump CHA for Dex and not bother investing in Diplomacy if I know we have somebody else to do that.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15