Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!  (Read 18187 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31:36 pm »

We have an oracle, and oracles spells are based on charisma. We also have a mysterious stranger, whose abilities are based on charisma. Yeah, we got a face.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2013, 04:34:03 pm »

We also have a buccaneer, which depends on charisma.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »

Hrmm... How to swap my stats around then. If I just trade CHA for DEX straight up, I'll end up with a stupidly low CHA of 5. Any idea as to how I should handle this?

(Racial Mods for Devilspawn Tieflings are +2 Wis, +2 Con, -2 Cha)
STR 14
DEX 7
CON 14 (Originally 12)
INT 14
WIS 18 (Originally 16)
CHA 10 (Originally 12)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2013, 05:05:36 pm »

Well you could probably knock your intelligence down to 12
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2013, 05:19:21 pm »

Hrmm... How to swap my stats around then. If I just trade CHA for DEX straight up, I'll end up with a stupidly low CHA of 5. Any idea as to how I should handle this?

(Racial Mods for Devilspawn Tieflings are +2 Wis, +2 Con, -2 Cha)
STR 14
DEX 7
CON 14 (Originally 12)
INT 14
WIS 18 (Originally 16)
CHA 10 (Originally 12)

You don't really need 18 WIS to start with, you get to increase attributes every four levels. You can lower it to 16 without problem.
Love, scriver~

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2013, 05:21:52 pm »

Okay. Ability scores are now:

STR 14
DEX 12
CON 14 (Originally 12)
INT 12
WIS 18 (Originally 16)
CHA 7 (Originally 9)

As for the armor question, I'll leave it up to the rest of the party. Would you rather have a Healer who is less likely to get hurt, or is more mobile on the battlefield?

Fake Edit: Ninja'd by the suggestion to take a hit to WIS instead of INT. Might take that up. Cleric don't get a whole lot of skill ranks, so I'd like to be able to take as many as I can...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2013, 06:11:50 pm »

Alright. Almost done with my character. Two issues remain.

1: How much money do we have to buy starting gear? And where on the downloadable template in the OP do we list our inventory other than Weapons and Armor?
2: I find the homebrew armor rules to be a bit overwhelming. Once I have everything else finished, would somebody be so kind as to pick my armor out for me if I upload my sheet somewhere?

Edit:

And a third that I forgot.

3: Speaking of overwhelming... SO MANY FEATS! I don't know where to start. Can anybody suggest something that is good for a cleric, or helps make up for the fact that I decided to use DEX as my dump stat?
Love, scriver~

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »

Here's what I'd personally suggest(I've got an 18 Intelligence, you don't need that many skill points)

Str: 12
Dex: 14
Con: 16 from 14
Int: 14
Wis: 16 from 14
Cha: 6 from 8

Not too big of a hit to Charisma, and you can upgrade your wisdom later, but this is gonna make you a tanky build. As a cleric, you'd make a very good tank.

I'd rather you take the higher armor class, especially since it's cheaper.

Finally, here's some feats you might consider. As well, keep this in mind: Especially based on the way you seem to have flavored your character, you might consider being an anti-hero. That means you don't get and can never use hero points, but you get a bonus feat.

[ur=http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/additional-traitsl]Additional Traits[/url]; It can be helpful, depending on what traits you want or have. I'll be taking this later for a very specific reason.
Antagonize; It'll help with being a tank, though it'd be far more effective if you had a decent Charisma. Not really a good idea for first level though.
Channel Smite; Though only useful against undead, we did just go up against them, and it means that if you want to, you can keep someone alive as you beat them into the dirt. Plus, opens up a bunch of other options.
Combat Casting; Always helpful when a spellcaster is in melee.
Dodge; As a tank, higher armor class is usually helpful. This applies against bullets too!
Extra Channel; Not really for a tank, but if you want to heal a lot, or make use of the many feats based around channeling energy, you might try it.
Fortified Armor Training; This seems like a dumb feat to take, especially considering the name sounds so much like something only a fighter would take. But at low levels, a critical hit, ESPECIALLY from a gun, will kill outright quite often. Less effective against weapons with large crit ranges(and you shouldn't be using it against those weapons), but it'll help keep you from biting the bullet.
Hero's Fortune; If you don't want to be an antihero, and really like the idea of hero points, this feat, and there's a couple others, might be good for you.
Improved Initiative; If you reach the guns first, you can stop them from firing. And, as a tank, it gives you the time needed to get between your squishies and the enemy.
Improved Shield Bash; Not because you should be bashing a lot(or ever, at first level), but because it'll remind you about feats like Shield Focus and Missile Shield, later in the game, and opens up other feats for bashing.
Sacred Summons; If you're the type of guy who'd rather let summoned stuff tank for him, or with him, this'll help.
Toughness; More hit points, especially for your relatively low hit point die in Pathfinder, are always helpful for a tank.
Warrior Priest; This seems like a pretty good feat for a tank cleric, but...I don't know. The other feats do the seperate parts of it better. Up to you.
Scribe Scroll; Often a good choice in 3.5, always a good choice now, since it doesn't cost exp. Effectively ends up multiplying your spells per day, if you have free time, or lets you have spells 'prepared' that are very situational.

Tiefling Racial Feats; Some worthy ones of note are Armor of the Pit(Better than dodge, but doesn't work against bullets), Monstruous Mask(if you want to become a goader), and Grasping Tail(like Quick Draw but better)

And almost finally, the one metamagic spell you can use, which is actually quite fitting, and would synergize nicely with your racial Darkness ability. Tenebrous Spell. Okay, actually once I read it, it will still usually raise the spell level. Still something to keep in mind. Also nevermind again, you get Pyrotechnics, not Darkness. Bleh.

Some advice on your race. You might consider getting either get Fiendish Sprinter or Vestigial Wings, which replace the bonus to diplomacy and sense motive checks. Fiendish sprinter will help when you're running(barely), vestigial wings won't do shit until you have the fly spell. Of course, at that point, it'll be very useful. I say this because you probably won't be the party face, but the skill bonuses do go well with the Antagonize feat, if you want to be a goader.

Finally, here's a way for you to upload, save, and keep a very nice sheet that lets you get everything organized: http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2013, 01:59:15 am »

Thanks for all the help dude. I think I'll be using your statline. I'll take Vestigial Wings now that I am no longer dumping Dex and fly can be an option. I also took the Prehensile Tail racial trait, not because it is good, but because it replaces a Sorcery Bonus that is useless to my Cleric. It will also make the Grasping Tail feat better if I choose to take it.

I don't think I'm going to go Anti-Hero. From the looks of it, being able to play smart with Hero Points seems more likely to keep me alive than taking an extra feat will. Also, if I am dealing in Hero Points, and have the money, I can exploit the Heroic Fortune Spells eventually.

A few questions for both Rolepgeek and the GM though about potential feats. I think I've narrowed it down to the defensive ones, However Scribe Scroll, Sacred Summons, and Combat Casting are good as well.

1: How does the custom armor piece rules effect the Fortified Armor Training Feat? Also how does it effect the use of the Craft: Armor skill, as I may grab a rank if I take a feat that has the potential to mess up my armor.

2: For Scribe Scroll, can I only make scrolls for spells I have chosen to prepare that day? Or can I use it on any Cleric spell I can possibly cast?

3: I fail to see the point of Sacred Summons for my character, as nothing on any of the summon monsters list seems to be just plain Lawful to match my alignment. Can somebody explain the benefits of this feat to me?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2013, 05:05:45 am »

1: How does the custom armor piece rules effect the Fortified Armor Training Feat? Also how does it effect the use of the Craft: Armor skill, as I may grab a rank if I

The way I understood it, we're only using the called shot rules from that page.
Love, scriver~

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2013, 09:02:06 am »

1. We will use piecemeal and called shot rules. Details can be found HERE

Nope. I think we are using the funky armor rules as well.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2013, 10:39:43 am »

I'll probably be a crafter(but not for a couple levels), and from what I can tell, it'll probably(GM's call) only break one piece. You'd still pretty much take the broken penalty, but you'd have four chances to save yourself from insta-death. For sacred summons, there should be one or two lawful neutral things to summon. I don't think( could be wrong) that th ones on the last are your only ones you can summon. You can probably summon a fiendish or celestial spider; whichever you chose. What'd be nice is if there was a version of that template for just lawful or chaotic stuff. But anyways, if it doesn't work, don't take the feat.
For scribe scroll, I'm thinking it's any spell you can cast, but it shouldn't really matter considering you'll only have the time and money to scribe them when we aren't adventuring.
I like the armor rules, to be honest. They're weird, but allow for me to get a high torso armor piece, and then a light leg piece and medium armor piece, so I can get high AC without sacrificing too much.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2013, 11:01:24 am »

1. We will use piecemeal and called shot rules. Details can be found HERE

Nope. I think we are using the funky armor rules as well.

OH. I read that several time and every one I thought it said "piecemeal's called shot rules". My bad.
Love, scriver~

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2013, 12:06:36 pm »

Blargh. The sheet Logarth found, and that I spent hours working with, is not compatible with Mythweavers. Moving my sheet over to one of theirs now by hand...

The link if you are intrested: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=541776

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2013, 04:00:20 pm »

Alright. I think I got everything transfrered over to the Mythweavers page. Unless I missed a step, I just have items to take care of. Are we using a 150gp buy in?

Rolepgeek, do you have the same username there as here, so I can give you editing privileges to help with the armor?

I'm still thinking about what weapon would make sense to declare as a Favored Weapon to be proficient with.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15