Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!  (Read 18243 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) DoomOnion is your DM!
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:21 pm »

Your request has been granted.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:59 pm »

Also, about the hooked axe, like I said, we still follow 'diety' rules from pathfinder, but with just a cover named 'catholic' or 'islam' or whatever. Which means the diety themselves are treated as your interpretation of the said religion. So as long as you have a good backstory for it, you can be a ..buddhist monk that uses katanas or something. Just saying.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2013, 12:21:50 pm »

Katana. Lots of Japanese words are the same plural.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2013, 01:22:18 pm »

Right. I think I figured out how to justify using a Scizore, and am about ready to write a detailed extension to the back-story covering religious beliefs and such.

One quick question: It says that donning a Scizore is a full round action. Is that only for equipping it, or does it take a full round to drop it as well? If the latter, I'll settle for something else, because there is a chance I will be dropping my weapon to use spells with Somatic components fairly often. (If my limited carrying capacity allows it, I'll carry a secondary simple weapon, likely a sickle, if I want to go back to fighting without waiting a round.)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2013, 01:31:16 pm »

It's a one handed weapon, you can cast spells with the other hand.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2013, 01:33:36 pm »

I thought divine spells could be cast when you were wearing a shield and carrying a weapon? As long as you have your holy symbol visible or something, right?

EDIT: Rapiers were used in the 1600s... See here: http://www.thearma.org/Youth/rapieroutline.htm
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:53:23 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2013, 01:50:05 pm »

I thought divine spells could be cast when you were wearing a shield and carrying a weapon? As long as you have your holy symbol visible or something, right?
You need a free hand for the gestures, barring Still Spell or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2013, 01:55:40 pm »

It's a one handed weapon, you can cast spells with the other hand.

In the other hand is a shield.

It doesn't say that under Divine Spells in the CRB. I guess I'll have to drop my weapon to cast when Somatic is required. Leads to the question: Is removing your Scizore a full round action or is that just for equipping it? Otherwise I'll just take a trident. It is in a way both affiliated with Devils and Christians (Fishers of Men, as Scriver was kind enough to remind me).

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2013, 01:57:58 pm »

You can still use your shield hand for stuff as long as they are not heavy shields.
Also, if I remember correctly, it also applies to sheathing.

Edit: Also,

Shield bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC except other shield bonuses

So having a shield AND a scizore is very redundant.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:00:05 pm by DoomOnion »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2013, 02:12:58 pm »

Oh... Thanks for pointing that out.

But its also lightweight and does great damage for a one handed weapon. The Shield Bonus was just iceing on the cake. I think I'll just save us all the trouble and take the trident though.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2013, 02:19:48 pm »

Okay. Speaking of, since a trident is so long,for casting spells, couldn't he let go of it, letting it rest on his shoulder or something(or stab it into the ground if we're n soft ground) and cast the spell, then grab it again? It does say that letting go of or regrasping a weapon is a free action.

On another note, why the trident? It just...doesn't seem very useful. Piercing damage is pretty much the worst kind, especially against undead, and while it can be thrown, that leaves you without a weapon, and bracing against a charge is rarely a good idea, considering they can then choose not to charge you.

But then again, it is fun to stab people. Or, you could maybe ready an action to throw it against a charge? Maybe make it a returning trident at some point...that'd be good, considering your Dex is higher than your strength. And as a tank, being in front or something and bracing against a charge would be a good idea...I don't know. Pros and cons, as always.

There should really be a feat for fighting well with a spear. Making it into a double weapon or something.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2013, 02:27:35 pm »

EDIT: Rapiers were used in the 1600s... See here: http://www.thearma.org/Youth/rapieroutline.htm

I know. But the Rapier as it exist rulewise refers to the 18th or 19th century style rapier, rather than the earlier variants.

From your own link: "It is therefore acceptable for clarity today to apply the distinctions of “early” rapier, to the wider flatter form, and “later” or “true” rapier to the more slender kind"

And: "Fencing treatises of the 1500s typically do not clearly define or differentiate whether they are teaching the use of civilian rapiers or military style cut-and-thrust swords—which were sometimes called arming swords, field swords, Reitschwerte (“knight’s sword”) or spada di lato (“side sword”).

The side-sword used many of the same designs and features as the concurrent rapiers as well as the later ones, but it was not a rapier per se.

On another note, why the trident? It just...doesn't seem very useful.

You know. Devil. Also, flavour over optimization. It's the same reason I went with longsword instead of the more powerful falcata.
Love, scriver~

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »

Yes, but I'd you look closely, "They did not develop into their final form until the 1570s or 1580s."
And "The truest form appears by the 1580s but the weapon continued to evolve into the late 1600s...
I argue the point mostly because my character uses the rapier.

On another note. I am sad that I'm the one being told 'flavor over optimization.' Usually I'm the one berating people for being munchkins. I don't think I'll be getting dervish dance...maybe exotic weapon proficiency with the dueling sword, instead.

But anyway. What about flavor and optimization? Look at the rhoka, Weirdsound. It's made by devils and demons. And it's stupidly cheap. Like seriously, why is it that low of price for something supposed to be exotic?

Finally, would you like me to use invisible castle for my dice roll as to how much I can get for my battered musket, DM sir? Also I think I'll be getting an Ammentum, since they're free and I have javelins anyway. By the way, I never found it in the rules, but what happens to thrown weapons when they hit their target? I wouldn't think it's treated like ammunition and destroyed.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2013, 02:50:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure they survive. Except shuriken and such, of course.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »

That'd be nice. Means chakras would be very cool weapons to have.
Being born around the time the New World was discovered has it's perks.

Finally, GM? You know how just about everyone in a position of power, influence, or education knew a ludicrous amount of languages back then? Can everyone add Linguistics to their class skills?

Edit: Actually, a bit more. You gunslingers will love me when we hit level two, because I'll be taking Craft(alchemy). And the GM said we can work together to make paper cartridges for bullets.

And also, if I'm carrying a sword in my main hand, and a throwing weapon in my off hand, and throw the off-hand weapon but don't attack with the main hand one, do I take a penalty?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:16:58 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15