Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need help with character development  (Read 1214 times)

LaDestitute

• Bay Watcher
  • Razor Sharp
    • View Profile
I need help with character development
« on: May 15, 2013, 02:33:07 am »

I need help writing a part of my Pokemon rom hack's storyline. So, the rival is like Gen V's Hugh (personality wise), except he becomes more like Gen II's rival gradually. I need a good reason as to why he turns from your best friend to your worst nightmare. The villainous team is like Team Galactic (goal wise, they want to get their hands on a legendary Pokemon that is said to hold all of the absolute answers and truths to the universe...which can be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands) and the hero/heroine isn't really morally ambiguous at all. They won't do anything wrong, and will always be encouraged to do the right thing.
Zelda Gamekit

The following is true: The former is false.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with character development
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:36:01 am »

Lawful/Good play off. Make a situation where the 'lawful' choice and the 'good' choice are opposed. Have your protagonist pick one side, and your rival hate him because he supports the other. Works best when you are good and they are lawful.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 03:30:09 pm »

It should be gradual and hinted at before anything truly changes. Perhaps have him bemoan that he is too weak to stop the evil Team, or offer an occasional pragmatic and immoral solution to a situation that the PC could never accept.

What pushes him over the edge could be anything, but it would be more powerful if it is left amigious and hinted at. Use Hemingway's Iceberg theory and make the information available without shoving it in the players face.

Perhaps after a certain point in the game when the Character interacts with a TV he has a chance of learning about a murder in the rivals hometown. Perhaps he is captured by the evil team at one point, and one of the guards in the facility alludes to doing unspeakable things to the prisoners. Perhaps an NPC mentions wittnessing the bad guys killing the Beedrill of a trainer who opposed him, and from that point on the Rival dosn't use his Beedrill any more. A villain is more scary when you don't know 100% why he has turned evil.

Also, what Gen is the Rom Hack based off of? If double battles with a partner are possible, I have a great idea for the moment he turns on you.

LaDestitute

• Bay Watcher
  • Razor Sharp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:01:16 pm »

Gen III/FireRed rom base, so I think double battles are possible.
Zelda Gamekit

The following is true: The former is false.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 04:44:31 pm »

Lawful/Good play off. Make a situation where the 'lawful' choice and the 'good' choice are opposed. Have your protagonist pick one side, and your rival hate him because he supports the other. Works best when you are good and they are lawful.

Another possible twist, aside from neutral-good PC as the trigger for Lawful-neutral/lawful-good going very very bad, is the introduction of a lawful-evil catalyst, or a chaotic good catalyst.

(I haven't played any of the pokemon titles, since they aren't the kind of jrpg I find myself interested in, so I am reading from context.)

Those work to make a lawful good char either have an internal conflict on their alignment (lawful good has to reconcile lawful from evil, to satisfy good-- or sacrifice good to satisfy lawful.), or cause them so much cognitative dissonance that they are then mired in an identity crisis, and easily manipulated, and subsequently driven quite evil via betrayal.

Lawful good is one of the worst combinations of character alignment, since they represent an extreme of both axes. The same is true of chaotic evil, since the extremeness of both sides prevents orderly planning, or the invokation of a zanatos gambit (say, running an orphanage and pulling a Dr Jeckel to conceal Mr Hyde, and employing his vital position in society as a shield: destroying or ousting him would cause even greater harm than good. Lawful evil chars often find ways to make this kind of thing happen, and satisfy the evil part of their alignment via their hidden persona, and the perverse joy of subverting order and goodness for concealing evil purposes and actions.)

The most effective protagonist is a neutral good, and the most effective villian is lawful evil, or lawful neutral. (Lawful neutral villian is a trip to write for, but also difficult. Its too easy to cast them as deluded and evil, rather than neutral. A lawful neutral won't go out of his way to cause harm or misfortune, but won't have any qualms about causing such either. Will blithely demolish a 500 year old church to put in a parking lot, if the church loses property ownership of the lot, and the new owner gives the order. Same for kicking people out of shelters, or taking kids away from loving parents due to trivial legalities. He feels neither guilt nor remorse, just duty and obligation.)

Lawful good antagonist needs to suffer from some form of deception (does evil, beleving he is doing good), suffer from an alignment confict (decision forces him to go against one axis to atisfy the other axis, with consequences), or suffer a radical alignment change from one of those two.

(cecil (darkness knight) from FF2US suffers from deception archetype when he gets used to destroy rydia's village, and his friend the dragoon suffers the latter, while working for golbez, until he can redeem his real alignment.-- just as examples from another jrpg)

Catalyst characters aren't really part of the main plot, just accessories that initiate a change just by being present. They can be somebody that dies because of the antagonist's actions in the past, which initiates the identity spiral, or they could be a sadistic lawyer who gets off on petty suffering by manipulating the law, causing the antagonist to do the dirty work of doing said evil, to satisfy their lawful alignment, etc. The contribute to the conflict simply by existing, and have no real stake in the conflict.

To give implementation advice, i'd need to know more about how you intend to use this character.