Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 91298 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The (not so) last stand of Wirejade [SPOILERS]
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »

Forgive the late answer, I was away from DF and the Internet for a while.

So, while demons and dwarves steadily die, Hell remains unconquered as for now? How is dwarven population? Nothing to worry about yet?

You're doing an excellent job maintaining all this madness, but we won't mind a bit more regular updates.

As for your first question, the answer is more or less yes. I keep doing my best to minimize the likelihood and possible consequences of such incidents, but they still happen from time to time. There has been an encounter with White Demons (I think) recently, and it ended with one dwarf dead. Another time Steam Devils popped up nearby and assaulted the dwarves, but fortunately they are incapable of dealing any damage except in indirect ways such as pushing enemies off walls and such. This is what happened to Ber Hammerbearded. His leg was broken, he passed out and the demon kept on attacking him, but he woke up and began to fight, dancing in circles right on the edge of an eerie glowing pit.

While Steam Devils can lose limbs to the smallest amounts of damage, they are just as good at evading it as any other type of demon. Having someone hit them in a 1-on-1 duel without legendary combat skills is extremely rare. Ber bashed it into pieces with his artifact bone buckler. His squad has been moved from the surface to the forges, by the way. Ranged support may be very useful down there.

The construction continues at a steady pace, as the demons are staying away from the fortifications at the moment. Success is measured in tiles of wall per unit of time. The channel meant to grant me another entry point is currently being worked on and nearing completion. The stone will most probably be turned into mechanisms. The whole thing may take a year or two, however the wait should pay off. I thought about creating something nicer for the animal training zone than a random hole in the ground, but that's a project for when Hell is inaccessible.

The population is 176 citizens, so while the fort is nowhere near extinction, just about any larger project is severely slowed down by the lack of dwarfpower. The number of idlers rarely reaches double digits.

I haven't been playing a lot of DF lately, so the most recent events all took place during the last two in-game years or so. I hope to pick up the pace now, but I'm not promising anything. If everything goes right, updates should become more frequent. I'm still surprised how far did I go without anyone calling me out on the update speed  ;)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2014, 05:09:22 pm »

Just got done reading this complete thread for the first time, and the last thing I expected was to see that its still surviving :O Totally shocking :) I get a siege of 80 undead against my 80 dwarves in my last fort, suffer between 15-20 casualties and just barely avoided losing the whole fort to tantrum..

This is an epic piece of work!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:28 am »

Serious necro, but I just realized that this Forgotten Beast was basically what Quetzalcoatl would be if his stance on human sacrifice didn't apply to dwarves.

Also, holy fuck this is metal.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2015, 06:49:39 pm »

A feathered serpent... How didn't I realise it before? Or maybe I did and forgot afterwards. It was certainly the end of an era for the fort.

And it's not a necro if it's still going, he he :)

So this took a while. I really have no excuse this time: I had time and I wasn't tired or busy with much except for a month of exams. I can only beg your forgiveness and aim for making steady progress.

I was going to update only after something significant happened, not wanting to bother anyone with what's essentially "more wall was built, also some dwarves died". I preferred to wait until some sort of a milestone. What happened, then? Well, there was a birth. First one in eight years. It was a girl, born to Momuz the mechanic and Zasit the miner. Agile and strong. Likes steel, gauntlets and voracious cave crawlers for their scary mouths. She's got a bright future ahead of herself, unless demons punch her head in or she deconstructs the wrong wall.

There is quite a lot of wall now, though - the western side is almost completed, and I'm more than halfway through the northern part and making good progress.

Hell construction attempts have been hindered in the past by obsidian shortages - basically building faster than I can provide resources. I'm trying to up the production hard and assemble massive stockpiles whenever I can't go and build because of demons running around. I feel I'm getting better at this. Things are progressing faster. The easternmost spire is still blocked by a few Forgotten Beasts I was trying to trap, and a bait bear. They all got stuck in webs instead and I can only wait for the bear to die of old age. I don't want to simply collapse the ceiling on their heads - one is a giant steel cockroach that will provide endless practice for all marksdwarves.

The new birth set the population at 169 dwarves. A miner died in the cooled magma pool in unknown circumstances, and his body was only dug out later. A couple of other dwarves was lost because they decided to spend breaks in random spots in the underworld. Risen Matchedpage had his legs and a hand broken by a kobold thief with a power dagger, years after another kobold made him a partial paraplegic. Poor bastard. The thief was killed by Kogsak Counselledgold, who acquired the nickname of the Lauded Clasp of Elevating. A minotaur arrived and was quickly killed with a hammer. I brewed away all the plants, going from ~10 000 to 0 and putting the drink stockpile at over 20 000. I'll let that drop down to about half that number and then try to keep each type of beverage at 500 with ad-hoc farming. For now I can dump the surplus pots on the elves.

The current goal is to wall off hell before Wirejade hits one hundred years. 14 years left; I believe I can manage that if I keep up the pace. Then the tedium will end and the real fun can begin.  :D

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2015, 07:05:33 pm »

Next you should line the entire map edge with cage traps. Bonus points if you do the caverns too.

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:28 pm »

I suspect that FPS is awful.
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2015, 03:12:28 am »

Looking good. Colonizing Hell is an experience not many get.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2015, 06:36:52 am »

This is still going? And it's about to hit the 100-years-old mark too. Your first fort. That's even more impressive than I thought.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2015, 09:38:35 am »

Well, there was a birth. First one in eight years. It was a girl, born to Momuz the mechanic and Zasit the miner. Agile and strong. Likes steel, gauntlets and voracious cave crawlers for their scary mouths. She's got a bright future ahead of herself, unless demons punch her head in or she deconstructs the wrong wall.
Wirejade lives! All hail to Hetairos!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2015, 04:49:50 pm »

Next you should line the entire map edge with cage traps. Bonus points if you do the caverns too.

There isn't much that can be caught in the traps any more. Maybe werebeasts. I'm on an island, so no sieges. Only the second cavern has some wildlife that occasionally wanders into the traps around the entrance. There are still some left in a few spots, and they're probably the most redundant part of the fort's defensive system.

I am planning on paving the inside of the fort with electrum, though.

I suspect that FPS is awful.

I get a steady 9-12 FPS with ongoing Hell constructions (a lot of long distance pathing), and slightly more without. Not so bad, but all those attempts at decreasing the amount of items are supposed to improve the framerate as much as possible. We'll see.

Well, there was a birth. First one in eight years. It was a girl, born to Momuz the mechanic and Zasit the miner. Agile and strong. Likes steel, gauntlets and voracious cave crawlers for their scary mouths. She's got a bright future ahead of herself, unless demons punch her head in or she deconstructs the wrong wall.
Wirejade lives! All hail to Hetairos!

That reminds me, I have yet to start the matchmaking project. I could get more regular population growth, but not without drawing upon the workforce. It will have to wait until I'm done at lest with the basic fortifications.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2015, 10:09:32 pm »

Are the elves on the same isle as you?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2015, 06:55:02 pm »

Yes. They bring me neat war animals from time to time.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2015, 07:06:42 pm »

What do you use to keep your FPS up?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 04, 2015, 07:08:07 pm »

DFHack bugfixes? But they don't provide any massive boost, and the new version doesn't need them. I lock out larger areas not currently in use. I fiddled a bit with the traffic designations, no idea if it actually helped with anything. I try to keep the item count from increasing, too. That's pretty much all I remember. The framerate definitely improves when the idler count gets larger.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2015, 07:34:01 pm »

How do you keep the fort clothed?

I'm asking all these questions because I've got a fort, Bastiongate, that I'm in in for the long haul with. I keep FPS up by caging my pets and lowering the GPS. And I still only get 8 FPS.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21