Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 91315 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The (not so) last stand of Wirejade [SPOILERS]
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2015, 08:23:40 am »

The raw materials are provided by a silk farm (those things have a quite huge output) plus a herd of alpacas, but it doesn't have a big impact. The farm has a minecart-powered timer set to close the door for a week and leave them open for 16 days, so the webs can be harvested. Before that I just grew rope reed and pig tails, it's not difficult to overproduce crops. Dyes are provided by ad-hoc farming - a year or two is enough to build up a stockpile for a long time. A separate building outside the fort's walls houses the water mills used to grind up the plants.

I have 4 weavers, 6 clothiers and 5 dyers, all legendary. They have been providing clothes for the entire fort for many, many years, so it shouldn't come off as a surprise. They aren't working full time - I occasionally check inventories of random dwarves to see which clothes are tattered, then order batches of those at the manager. Usually they are done in next to no time. It's enough to keep all dwarves wearing only a few slightly damaged items at all times, seemingly enough to fend off unhappy thoughts from old clothing.

Ask away if anything's unclear, or could be elaborated upon, or simply seems interesting for some reason. It helps fill the void between larger updates ;) By the way, what do you mean by GPS?

A stonecrafter and one of my marksdwarves had another baby, a son called Erush Sealslings. He should make a fine soldier or animal trainer, or perhaps both. I'm wondering now if the lack of children for the few past years hadn't been the effect of some obscure bug.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2015, 08:29:51 am »

DFHack bugfixes? But they don't provide any massive boost, and the new version doesn't need them. I lock out larger areas not currently in use. I fiddled a bit with the traffic designations, no idea if it actually helped with anything. I try to keep the item count from increasing, too. That's pretty much all I remember. The framerate definitely improves when the idler count gets larger.

Ironically enough you can increase your FPS by making your fort more open. It takes fewer pathing calcs to move a dwarf through a wide, open vista than through your typical corridor design with adjacent rooms.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2015, 09:18:34 am »

I've got three weavers, one dyer, and two clothiers (one died), all legendary. They make lots of pig tail and smoke weed fiber clothing, which my bone carvers decorate because I have nothing better to do with all this bone.

Every so often I autodump destroy all my excess dye and grind new stuff. It works pretty well.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2015, 06:19:30 pm »

DFHack bugfixes? But they don't provide any massive boost, and the new version doesn't need them. I lock out larger areas not currently in use. I fiddled a bit with the traffic designations, no idea if it actually helped with anything. I try to keep the item count from increasing, too. That's pretty much all I remember. The framerate definitely improves when the idler count gets larger.

Ironically enough you can increase your FPS by making your fort more open. It takes fewer pathing calcs to move a dwarf through a wide, open vista than through your typical corridor design with adjacent rooms.

And here I thought large open spaces are to be avoided. I guess it still applies to ones which serve no practical purpose. The food processing level must be a pathing nightmare. So are a few other locations, but they don't have nearly as many dwarves going through them.

I've got three weavers, one dyer, and two clothiers (one died), all legendary. They make lots of pig tail and smoke weed fiber clothing, which my bone carvers decorate because I have nothing better to do with all this bone.

Every so often I autodump destroy all my excess dye and grind new stuff. It works pretty well.

That seems good eno- wait for a second...

They (...) smoke weed fiber clothing

You might have a little problem.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2015, 06:48:15 pm »

Heh heh heh. I love it when people notice that. They're pretty much pig tails but fireproof. They're from Blood for Armok, from way back from when it was called Fire Imp Civilizations.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2015, 03:54:25 pm »

So I'm planning on walling off hell in Bastiongate, Wirejade style. How did you do it? Crossbows everywhere? Live demon trap so no more wander in? Sheer dwarfpower?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2015, 08:22:04 pm »

Now what I'm wondering is how on earth you keep your dwarf pop relatively stable. If child births are a once a decade occurrence, do migrants make the dangerous journey to wirejade still?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2015, 09:03:33 am »

Live demon traps are as far as I know the most common way to do it, but setting things up so that you can ballista-spam certain areas if necessary also works.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2015, 12:22:25 pm »

So I'm planning on walling off hell in Bastiongate, Wirejade style. How did you do it? Crossbows everywhere? Live demon trap so no more wander in? Sheer dwarfpower?

Mostly by exploiting utilising peculiarities of demon pathfinding. While the big wave which spawns when you breach hell does actively assault the fortress, the ones which occasionally wander in from the edge of the map usually don't. Sometimes a group of demons appears on the other end of hell and stays there for a few months doing nothing. Or one leaves the group and goes straight for your masons. Or they spawn right next to whatever part of the wall is being worked on at the moment and force you to evacuate everyone immediately. Or they seem to be doing that, but actually just reach a different corner of hell and leave.

As a general rule, most of the time the demons will chill where they spawned, until something wanders into their line of sight or, worse enough, attack them. Like a dwarf deciding taking a break next to the demons is a fun idea. Or a hapless hauler trying to retrieve something dropped during the last evacuation. Not that they can't get up and attack for no discernible reason at any moment, so their position must be constantly monitored. Leaving the game to run in the background is likely to result in ragequitting. Keeping the military with heavy ranged support is a good idea. Sticking artifact furniture near the spawn points is a good, if a bit exploity idea, but the demons can still miss it and go for something way more squishy.

By the way, you inspired me to cage at least the baby animals (the last time I tried caging adult ones they stopped procreating). The framerate boost is very definitely noticeable - I got up to 15-16 FPS at some occasions, compared to the usual 12, maybe 13.

Now what I'm wondering is how on earth you keep your dwarf pop relatively stable. If child births are a once a decade occurrence, do migrants make the dangerous journey to wirejade still?

It's only stable if "slowly declining" counts as stable. There have been no migrants or dwarven caravans for over 50 years. Here it began. Putting it shortly, an incredibly obscure bug which occurred when the last caravan was leaving is the root cause of all this. That's the entire reason natural population growth is absolutely vital.

Live demon traps are as far as I know the most common way to do it, but setting things up so that you can ballista-spam certain areas if necessary also works.

I never had much luck using ballistas (ballistae?). Too much effort for too little gain if you ask me. Crossbows and fortifications are more reliable.

One interesting solution is massing war animals. Demons are mighty, but their numbers are low. They will only target one creature at a time and usually pummel it into a bloody pulp, and only then move on to the next one. Meanwhile, the rest of the animals can attack with impunity. Many of their attacks will miss, but eventually they should bring down anything not made of metal. With massive casualties, but hey, they're expendable. Unless the demon is a fire-breather or has deadly dust, those may be difficult to defeat this way.

A group of Slush Banshees is trying to destroy a floor hatch they can't damage, and as long as they stay unprovoked the dwarves can keep working in peace. Thanks to that the northern wall is almost finished, and that means I'm about half done with walling off hell. I will have to kill them off to clear the area for the southern part of the fortifications, but that's a while from now. The constructions in the east should be safe for the most part. Thanks to a ridge there I don't have to build such high walls, so it's hopefully going to take far less time. The wall in the north is 5 z-levels high in some places.

Three dwarves died of old age. All legendaries, which kind of comes with age - one a metalworker. I have more, but it's still a loss. Two miners, one legendary, died in cave-ins while working on what is now the obsidian farm in the magma pool. It's not easy to spot one-tile holes in muddy obsidian floor, and any collapsing tile opens a hole straight to the magma sea. At least it's working now, I guess.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The casualties were partially offset by two new kids. Same couple as before. Also one dwarf broke quite a few bones when someone deconstructed a bridge beneath him, but he got better.

The military saw some action thanks to a minotaur. It didn't take long - a spear to the left leg, a hammerstrike to the right, and another one to the head. Plus a few more in between, not that they matter.

Three adamantine artifacts! An animal trap, a crutch, and a bucket. Oh well, at least I have a nicer well now. And now that my GCS is dead I no longer have a silk farm. Time to get used to cloth again.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #219 on: March 31, 2015, 07:18:02 am »

You know, I had to reread this thread to find out how you managed to build all of this in Hell without so many Dwarves dying. Then I read this:
It seems that in every update Dwarves have been casually bursting into flames. Can't be good for the health I imagine.
And remembered that they did all die. And the unlucky ones lived.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2015, 07:46:12 pm »

The live demon trap worked perfectly, the Hell Bastion has been complete for like two weeks but I forgot to post here. Did I beat you or not?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2015, 04:40:15 pm »

You know, I had to reread this thread to find out how you managed to build all of this in Hell without so many Dwarves dying. Then I read this:
It seems that in every update Dwarves have been casually bursting into flames. Can't be good for the health I imagine.
And remembered that they did all die. And the unlucky ones lived.

This is a thing of rare and exceptional beauty. Also disconcertingly accurate.

To be continued...

The live demon trap worked perfectly, the Hell Bastion has been complete for like two weeks but I forgot to post here. Did I beat you or not?

You might have for now, I haven't done much since last time beyond starting the eastern wall. And moving wool production outside the fort.

grisha5

• Bay Watcher
  • [SACRIFICE_CAT:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2015, 01:28:26 am »

sorry for the necro...are you even playing?
kittunns yay ~WalterWhite from DashNet forums
i am a cat. with a laser gun to shoot cat killers

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #223 on: July 08, 2015, 05:56:51 am »

sorry for the necro...are you even playing?
I'd assume Hetairos is and is just waiting for sufficient stuff to report about

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2015, 11:39:19 am »

*pokes*
*runs away screaming from the unleashed demons*
((You still going, there?  If this isn't in the Hall of Legends it should be...))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21