Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 91325 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.11] The (not so) last stand of Wirejade [SPOILERS]
« Reply #285 on: January 29, 2017, 03:19:18 pm »

Just read through.

I approve heartily. If I ever get DF, I can only hope and pray that I manage as awesome a fort as you have - let alone that it be my first.

How did you manage to climb the learning cliff that quickly?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2017, 05:27:29 pm »

• What is that annoying FPS point for you? Or do you run without FPS indicator?

• ....Literal magma hellcannon? Oh wow. Now that's new. And cool as hell.

Larix's minimal watergun might be of interest due it's lowest known cadence, but it sounds like you already have a plan.

For dealing with the lowest z-level of the map, it's worth noting itg's work in the area, such as mining slade by carving it into a fortification and obsidian-casting (link). I think dwarven power mining might also work for your version.

• I've heard that marriages occur more easily in DF2012. Though it seems you're still having problems - well, some couples just aren't compatible.

• There is artifact cap, sort of - number of revealed subterranean tiles /(48*48) - obviously relevant on thin 1x1s, but not so much on most forts with revealed caverns and magma sea for quite a while. 

You can check with dfhack if you've run into it, maybe?

• And, oh yeah. Strong ranged combatants in DF2012. But what does need to be fought, anyway?

...Immortal vomit FBs? Ew. Good gen, RNG. Good gen.

Good luck with your dragon farm.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2017, 06:00:11 pm »

I've only seen the revealed tiles artifact thing happen on really old forts. In Bastiongate people stopped making artifacts after a while, but there was a huge explosion of moods after I dug out a new layer of the mine.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade (aborted)
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2017, 01:21:28 pm »

I think that explains the artifact situation. I had no reason to dig much for a long time. If I needed space, there were always rooms to repurpose; piles of surplus furniture and armour could be melted down in case of a metal shortage. I'm not aware of any DFHack tools which I could use to check nor do I have the knowledge to make them myself.

How did you manage to climb the learning cliff that quickly?

I semi-accidentally chose the most easymode embark site ever, then slavishly followed the quickstart guide and alt-tabbed to the wiki any time I had doubts about something. It wasn't nearly as quick a process as it may seem, it just wasn't spread over several forts. It took me in-game years to realise I can dig below the first cavern layer. I still learn new things from time to time.

• What is that annoying FPS point for you? Or do you run without FPS indicator?

Around 13-15 FPS.

• ....Literal magma hellcannon? Oh wow. Now that's new. And cool as hell.

Larix's minimal watergun might be of interest due it's lowest known cadence, but it sounds like you already have a plan.

For dealing with the lowest z-level of the map, it's worth noting itg's work in the area, such as mining slade by carving it into a fortification and obsidian-casting (link). I think dwarven power mining might also work for your version.

I was looking forward to that, having not build anything major in a while. I'm familiar with Larix's design and I'm nearly sure it's impossible to simplify it further. But I can't use it, and the slade mining tricks won't help me with it since there is no slade to mine there. The map just ends. It's a floor with nothing left beneath.

Of course now there is another much bigger reason I can't do anything.

• I've heard that marriages occur more easily in DF2012. Though it seems you're still having problems - well, some couples just aren't compatible.

The whole orientation thing isn't in if that's what you mean. But if they can be lovers, then they can marry, right?

Premature farewell below. On second thought, there's no real point in keeping it around.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:41:53 am by Hetairos »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2017, 02:01:03 pm »

Well, you had a good run, but all good things must come to an end. Wirejade will always live in our hearts. And also in this thread. And in the Hall of Legends.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2017, 02:07:41 pm »

Heh, yeah. That's pretty much how I learned. Am still learning.

It's not just orientation - several people have reported relationships progressing slower in 0.42+ than in 0.34.

As for the corrupted file, ouch. I assume you've already tried tools like CCleaner? Though not sure how CPU cooling could cause save corruption.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2017, 05:01:27 pm »

Oh... oh, holy Armok.

They really couldn't figure out any other way to kill your fort, could they?  :P

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2017, 06:04:31 pm »

As for the corrupted file, ouch. I assume you've already tried tools like CCleaner? Though not sure how CPU cooling could cause save corruption.

I tried a system restore, though I didn't have any restore points old enough to do anything, assuming that could be a factor to begin with. What can CCleaner do beyond that?

It's not really the cooling unit itself. I must have broken something and now I get occasional random reboots and display problems. The screen gets covered in vertical stripes or just turns off, forcing me to hard reboot. One of those likely broke something, although I don't remember that happening while I was playing DF. I'm going to get someone to take a look at it.

Oh... oh, holy Armok.

They really couldn't figure out any other way to kill your fort, could they?  :P

I suppose. I even had a fairly complete list of things I wanted to do with the fort before I called it quits in mind. Oh well.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade (aborted) (not really)
« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2017, 09:38:16 am »

Hang on. Remember that time when I posted about a workaround for the broken caravan bug which stopped immigration into the fort? People thought it was a new version bug, but I had a save with it occurring in 34.11. So I uploaded it to DFFD and linked it on the bugtracker. What I'm trying to say is that I do have a backup (albeit an accidental one).

So Wirejade lives, as it did 9 in-game years ago. Nearly everything past the linked update is essentially retconned, but I'll leave it in spoiler tags. I'm going to restore the progress more or less to the point it was before the unfortunate corruption, then pick up from that point onwards.

Autobackup is on :P

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2017, 09:42:30 am »

YES

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2017, 09:43:28 am »

Oh thank goodness.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2017, 09:45:37 am »

A similar thing happened in Bastiongate, where a rare bug caused by the tracks of newly hatched creatures corrupted the save. I had a slightly older save from the last time I had copied the save, retired, and checked legends. The retiring and unretiring caused its own problems, but hey, I still had Bastiongate! And you don't even have to deal with those problems, which is awesome.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2017, 11:43:34 am »

Hang on. That single update contained 9 years?

That's quite the scale.

In any case, nice to have a backup, but gratz on being willing to continue.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2017, 01:29:49 pm »

It lives again! :o
Its so nice having accidental backups
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2017, 04:59:16 pm »

Hyah-hah, YES!

WIREJADE LIVES!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21