Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 90477 times)

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Uninvited Guest [SPOILERS]
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2013, 12:48:11 am »

Why a save? It's much more fun to do it with your own fortress.

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2013, 01:10:57 am »

Is it bad that I want to see something to show up on the surface to add to the !!fun!!
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2013, 10:16:42 am »

Why a save? It's much more fun to do it with your own fortress.

This man just built a fort that could rival -cannon fortresses in his first game. I want his awesome aura to be passed to me through the save.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2013, 10:51:33 am »

Thoroughly enjoyed this.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2013, 05:13:06 pm »

SAVESAVESAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 09:03:47 pm »

You can probably just burn the corpses. I don't THINK they'll still be lava immune after death. You can always atom smash, though. A symbol of the triumph of Dwarven technology over the Demons.

I kinda wanna see what happens if a necromancer were to come at you.

Actually, I am planning to put them in a museum-like facility. I'm still looking for the perfect place and wondering what else to put in there. As for a necromancer...

...let's just say it's probably a good thing there are no towers nearby.

Can clowns be thralled/husked? Thralls/husks are not actually undead... needs testing. I actually haven't seen a husking cloud in a LONG time though. The last ones I saw ended in a herd of Ostrich husks pecking my seven dwarves to death in less than two minutes.

I remember reading how somebody pitted husks against clowns; the husks won. I don't dare to imagine the unholy spawn of Armok that huskified clowns would be.

I have heard it said that once you have too many dead (5000 or so?), you stop attracting migrants unless you clear out the roster with DFHack. Though I guess since you're on an island that's unlikely. I only hit the limit when I'm in range of a Tower.

Actually, the dead/missing count is over 3300. I blame the huge amount of animals I can barely butcher and process quickly enough to keep the population in check. If that is indeed the problem, I'll officially proclaim you a Hero of the Mountainhome. Which command should I use? I'm not good with DFhack.

We demand a save.
We demand a save.

Seconded for !SCIENCE!
SAVESAVESAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save... I should have thought about this earlier, since things are mostly cleaned up by now, but if you insist, here it is.

Please don't laugh too hard at my layout. Large parts of the fortress have been designed when I was still at the "holy carp I can make dorfs dig" phase, so I didn't exactly have long-term architectural development in mind.

As I had said, the soldiers were assembled and ordered to descend into the depths. They did a good job - 7 demons (4 steam, 2 fire and an ash one) standing around the last remaining cabinet were smashed into pieces with relatively low casualties, four salt clowns which foolishly decided to stand near the fortifications guarding the entrance into the second cavern level didn't last long under accurate crossbowfire, some more were hunted down in more remote parts of the caverns and one fire clown was walled off. Then I sent the soldiers against three slush banshees swimming in the magma pool in the third cavern.

They proved themselves to be tougher opponents than the others.

About the half of the military is dead, after barely landing a hit; mostly the melee fighters. The marksdwarves brought one banshee down and heavily damaged another one, but that's all. I ordered a retreat, and the demons went to swim in the magma sea.

I'm devising a way to somehow kill them off. There is a hole in the floor above the magma pool, which was a part of a minecart system used for disposal of surplus stone. The bottom of a cavern lake is situated to its west. I plan to construct a floor above the pool and put a new artifact gabbro grate on its end as a bait, wait until they come to it, and then either flood and hopefully obsidianise them, or drop a huge amount of gold nuggets or something else previously quantum stockpiled on the bridge upon their heads.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Litast Figurebrass the Dourness of Crying, an elite marksdwarf who managed to crawl all the way to the hospital. She should survive despite the infections - the healthcare of Wirejade is well organised. She killed a total of 12 demons. Her personality is... interesting.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:54:11 pm by Hetairos »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2013, 01:41:08 pm »

Chaos, disorder and Dwarf Fortress.

DireWolf64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2013, 02:39:07 pm »

Oh man, all I've got in my current fort are herds after herds of naked mole dogs, gorlaks, trolls, one winged, blind, minty green, poison spitting lobster FB (that came into my fortress and was in turn slaughtered by my military and made into soap, yeah, I literally have "Forgotten Beast soap" in my soap stockpile...), a skinless toad FB and a red, horned, eyeless poisonus viper FB (both the viper and the toad are having a bath in the underground lake that I broke into while digging and don't show any interest whatsoever in coming into my fort)+ a whole load of gobbos whom I intend to sacrifice in Armoks name in the new temple I'm building (might release pictures if anyone is interested)
There's a fine balance of "child is suffering" and "child is dead".

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2013, 05:21:02 pm »

If the slush demons are not moving and in the magma pool, a single bucket of water dropped through a grate from above the tile they are in will form obsidian and kill everything under it all the way to the SMR.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2013, 12:07:12 pm »

Chaos, disorder and Dwarf Fortress.

What do you mean by "and"?  ;)

If the slush demons are not moving and in the magma pool, a single bucket of water dropped through a grate from above the tile they are in will form obsidian and kill everything under it all the way to the SMR.

All I would've had to do if they just stayed in place was mining out a single tile and pulling a single lever. Unfortunately...

...the banshees decided to move to the forges, and then up until they finally stopped 2 z-levels below the blockaded first caverns exit, slamming some cheetah cubs and kittens into walls on the way there. I surrounded the exit with fortifications, taking care not to leave a way of escape through the ceiling, put an artifact pig bone door in there, and ordered the floor blocking the stairs deconstructed. One jumped out rather quickly, and marksdwarves shot it to pieces. The second one was more reluctant. I unlocked the door, hoping it would get the demon to move - and a civilian walked inside. He was lucky enough to get kicked through the fortifications before suffering too much damage, however his lower spine has been destroyed and he'll never walk again. Still, the plan has served its purpose well.

Then the soldiers went down to kill an ash demon hovering in the lowest caverns, and suffered some unnecessary casualties due to being stupid and walking straight past it to the assembly point. The Lauded Lances, a squad which used to be stationed on the surface alongside The Primitive Daggers, guarding the western side of the fortress for years, was reduced to its last member and subsequently disbanded.

Anyway, only 5 demons are left, 4 made of fire and one of salt. The salt one is stuck in the shaft I used to drop old furniture into magma, one fireclown is walled off in a corridor just above the third caverns, another one is hanging by the magma pool with no intention of moving, and the last two sit in an unused shaft with a ballista pointed at them. The old magma forges are considered reclaimed, and are currently being cleaned up and restored. All dwarves are so busy that no one had time to go and trade with the dwarven caravan. Everyone is hauling everything everywhere.

The project which was meant to kill the banshees hasn't been abandoned and will - after some slight alterations - serve as an obsidian factory. If everything works as designed, that is.

Three things I forgot to mention before:
- Something actually did show up on the surface - more precisely, a minotaur child. Since the soldiers were busy underground fighting the demons, I sent some crossbow-bearing civilians on the walls. A flurry of bone bolts made short work of the monster.
- Back when I was setting the anti-demon upright spears in place, my chief medical dwarf was attacked by a tick devil. The ultimate cause of his death? Being scared by a murderous ghost. While being torn apart by a gargantuan monster from hell.
- My new hammerer has a ghostly dwarf on his kill list. Dwarven justice reaches everyone.

I did some research and found the DFhack command for clearing the dead units list. Over 2500 entries were deleted. I hope that fixes the immigration.

And the saddest thing for the end: the expedition leader and founder of the fortress, dedicated manager and bookkeeper for about 24 years, Bembul Cosmosgorge, is dead. She has apparently stepped into some forgotten beast goo scattered near the well and bled out on the way to the hospital. She will receive a platinum sarcophagus and an engraved tomb in return for her loyal service.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:54:39 pm by Hetairos »

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2013, 07:08:21 pm »

Seems like you have managed to run into quite a lot of fun.

I am a bit surprised you had 400 dwarves though.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2013, 07:27:16 pm »

Seems like you have managed to run into quite a lot of fun.

I am a bit surprised you had 400 dwarves though.

There wasn't much to kill them, aside from an occasional FB.

I bring bad news. Mestthos Earthenexits the Flaxen Elder, the macedwarf without a mace I described before, has perished fighting a forgotten beast alone in order to buy time for the others. An unfortunate kick to the head ended her life. I didn't have enough soldiers to keep a squad in the lower caverns. I still don't, in fact.

Also, the dwarves failed to trade with an elven caravan which brought a giant brown recluse spider, if I remember correctly. And a giant jaguar.

On the other hand...

MIGRANTS! WAHAHA!

A few waves have already arrived, and for some reason the arriving dwarves have no relatives, no previous affiliations to any other civs, and almost a half of them are traders. However, all dwarves are welcome, since the recent events have left me a bit short on raw dwarfpower.

In general, the life in the fortress is mostly back to normal. The forges are once more filled with the sound of metal striking metal, and I'm planning to resume mining adamantine soon (now that the two fireclowns near the path to it are gone). Two of the spires go straight through the magma sea, but are also situated next to some cavern ponds, so with some careful mining and floodgates extracting all of the precious candy should be possible. The obsidian farm is progressing nicely, though two miners died in unexplained cave-ins wile mining out bits of wall. Some large scale above-ground architectural projects are in progress, such as claiming a large area of the surface as fortress interior and creating a tall stone tower with the top made of solid electrum. Or maybe two.

The true challenge, though, will be creating an outpost in Hell itself. Using pitchblende. Okay, not only pitchblende, because I have only about 75 blocks of it. I guess I'll put in some dark stone, like gabbro or obsidian, too.

Wait, why are there random explosions of steam in the caverns?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: HOLY CARP FIRECLOWN OUT OF NOWHERE EVERYONE HIDE
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:54:59 pm by Hetairos »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2013, 11:53:26 pm »

sadly, the hammerer's kill list with the ghostly victim is probably just a bug.  If he kills a dwarf that later turns into a ghost, all references and images to that dwarf will refer to the ghostly dwarf.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2013, 05:47:05 am »

Two quick questions: How powerful is an artifact bone pick and is there a way to put out burning artifacts? I'm not exactly thrilled about having smoke from a backpack annoy all my smiths. Minecarts, perhaps?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2013, 10:41:30 am »

Two quick questions: How powerful is an artifact bone pick and is there a way to put out burning artifacts? I'm not exactly thrilled about having smoke from a backpack annoy all my smiths. Minecarts, perhaps?
Bone picks are weapons of boasting. Otherwise they're not that much more effective than a copper pick I'm afraid.

In mining however, they are furious excavators of mountains.

So are other picks.

But they're not made out of bone.

If the artifact fire gets too troublesome, a cave in from far above will destroy it [and the fire].
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21