Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 91347 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Uninvited Guest [SPOILERS]
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2013, 11:14:36 am »

Guess what happened.

Two FBs with deadly dust simultaneously decided to visit my fort.

The first one, Allas Echoedpaddle the Mine of Ashes, appeared near the magma forges. I send the military down to deal with the threat. I hoped to lure it into the forges proper, where it would find itself under heavy fire from marksdwarves, but one of them stumbled into it near the entrance. I issued an attack order, and at the cost of one markdwarf and an non-lethal body rot for an axedwarf the monster was decapitated. The axedwarf was also the slayer of that ‼clown‼ which surprised me before, and is missing the majority of his body fat. He is the first dwarf in the fortress' history to name his weapon: Roughslips the Bone of Combining, an adamantine battle axe.

Just when I thought things are back to normal, another one, Sostet Shadowevils, a hairy carmine lizard with a trunk emerged in the first cavern level. All soldiers were as far away as they could possibly be, of course. Its syndrome is very similar to that of Radavi, but the symptoms take a whole minute to kick in. After that, victim's entire body - including eyes and internal organs - starts intensively bleeding (or maybe liquefying, who knows). Death follows in about 8 frames. Oh, and the dust clouds has up to 30 tiles in diameter. I'll try to get a screenshot.

All in all, about 50 dwarves or 20% of the population, including the queen, is dead, with the most common cause being dwarven stupidity (A giant lizard rampaging in the caverns? Everybody must retreat into the fortress? I'll just grab this pipe section and go where the corpses are, I'm sure it won't notice me). Everything below the floor hatch Wealthwinters is once more declared off limits.

My hope is that Sostet will slam itself into something one time too much, finally crippling its heart or lungs.

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:48:00 am by Hetairos »

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2013, 08:13:52 am »

Have you considered lever-operated menacing spikes to kill the FB? Build the corridor of death, lure it with dogs or cats - when pathing into the kill-zone raise bridges to trap the beast - then pull lever in repeat mode. Voila, you now have swiss-FB-cheese without dwarven casualties

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2013, 12:04:05 pm »

My hope is that Sostet will slam itself into something one time too much, finally crippling its heart or lungs.
Trow him some useless animals to give him a reason to use his dust, he will die soon.
Also, nice adamantine battle axe.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2013, 08:11:21 pm »

I would've posted this a bit earlier, but my OS spontaneously chose to ignore the existence of my network card.

Have you considered lever-operated menacing spikes to kill the FB? Build the corridor of death, lure it with dogs or cats - when pathing into the kill-zone raise bridges to trap the beast - then pull lever in repeat mode. Voila, you now have swiss-FB-cheese without dwarven casualties

That sums up Plan A...

Trow him some useless animals to give him a reason to use his dust, he will die soon.

...and that Plan B. Both didn't work.

The upright spears trap with an artifact grate I used to kill demons is still there, however Sostet went towards the floor hatches I installed above the forges in order to be able to isolate them in case of danger, passing near a bunch of giant sloth bears and dingos left there.

Thanks to the fact that the dust syndrome wasn't immediately fatal like Radavi's, they dealt some damage to it before death. Much, if not most of the blood visible on the screenshot belongs to the FB. While it was heading deeper, I decided to set up the bait to lure it towards the upright spears. The trap would've had to suffice - the enormous range of the dust cloud (while fighting animals on the stairs, it managed to reach up to 8 z-levels higher than the source) meant the beast would've been able to attack the marksdwarves on the fortifications above should I decide to send them there. This is probably how the demon-slaying marksdwarf Litast I mentioned before perished - her body was found on the stairs leading there.

All this left Sostet quite heavily wounded:

Yes, this is a lung and heart indicated as non-functional. Despite this, it kept crawling around for weeks.

But before I could let the dwarves herd the animals near the trap, I had to close a gap in the wall I deconstructed to retrieve a dead baby's skeleton. Using the gap and ignoring all orders the new captain of the guard, Kivish Shegetavuz, went down to get himself some gear and stumbled upon the beast in the forges. Having no weapon skill and only partial armour didn't stop him from slaying it - but not before painting a considerable part of the floor with its blood. He expired some time after that, of course. His sacrifice will not be forgotten.

After resuming the normal activity in the fortress, I noticed that a dwarf is carrying somebody familiar to the hospital. As Oiledring, the axedwarf from the previous update. He survived two months in the caverns, unconscious, rotting and starving, only to ultimately starve in the hospital just when I finally got somebody to fetch him some food. Maybe that's better? He lost his eyesight, was rotting, and a large chunk of his body had been melted away previously.

After these events, six soldiers were all that was left of my military. Fortunately, migrants with military skills started to arrive, and a macedwarf and an axedwarf were drafted. Still, that's eight. Barely enough to defend the surface. For this reason Wirejade is turning towards automated defence. I'm launching a research project with the aim of developing simple, effective, easily replicable and adaptable weapons using impulse ramps. The testing range is being prepared in the northern part of the fortress aboveground, and I hope to post the results soon, here or in a separate thread. Hmm, maybe some more artifact-based spear traps? I need to look around for good locations.

Occasionally, dwarves still bleed out and fall dead. Inspection of the clothing doesn't reveal any forgotten beast extract coatings on the clothes or the body. Majority of those incidents has taken place in the main dining room, an area far away from any possible dust residue. I commissioned 90 pairs of leather shoes, hoping to prevent further deaths, if stepping in it is the cause.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:55:59 pm by Hetairos »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2013, 10:34:12 pm »

That's a lot of blood for one dwarf...  :D
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2013, 03:44:33 am »

"Hell is empty, and all the devils are here!" - Ferdinand, The Tempest

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2013, 07:31:00 am »

This is amazing. My first fort was killed by an elven ambush.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2013, 09:11:33 am »

That was a lot of blood.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2013, 04:31:22 pm »

That FB better look out for blood borne pathogens!
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2013, 06:47:13 pm »

That's a lot of blood for one dwarf...  :D
That was a lot of blood.

It looked like a dwarf's entire supply of blood was ejected out of his/her body within about 2 seconds. I wish an excessive amount of blood on one tile could spread to the neighbouring ones, creating multi-tile pools. The first level of caverns would probably end up looking like some horrific slaughterhouse. Then again, it kinda was one...

"Hell is empty, and all the devils are here!" - Ferdinand, The Tempest

Give me some time and I'll put dwarves there. Considering the sheer amount of stuff still scattered around that has yet to be hauled into the proper place, it may take a while.

Two more FBs. The first one, Tofi (I-don't-remember-what with deadly blood) was unlucky enough to spawn near a place all soldiers happened to be in. They were already waiting in place when it finally left the edge of the map. Then some war cheetahs chased it for a while, marksdwarves shot it, crippling its legs and slowing it down, and an axedwarf bisected it so hard its lower body (mass - over 5000) flew away 3 tiles. Another one, Litheme Ashendepth, a one-eyed alligator, kept swimming in an underground lake for quite a long time, painting it with its noxious secretions before leaving it and approaching the entry point to the caverns. Of course, the soldiers were already waiting for it. Two of the three migrants drafted so far already have an FB kill to their names.

Random deaths from bleeding out have stopped, for dwarves at least. It still sometimes happens to animals, but that's not a major concern. The butchering industry slowed down so much the donkey population went out of control and is beginning to starve.

I have a spiral minecart route going through multiple z-levels. If I create two routes: one taking things from the top to the bottom, and another going in the opposite direction, and set the minecarts on both to "guide", will it result in traffic accidents every time they meet or will it be safe? I need to know this before I convert one of the routes which used to deliver ore to the magma forges into one taking furniture in the opposite direction.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:56:28 pm by Hetairos »

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2013, 01:03:42 pm »

Another Forgotten Beast, Tozör, a huge, scaly, winged snail has just been defeated after over three weeks of almost constant fighting. The game must hate me, because it threw the last thing that was missing until now at me.

A web-spinner. Just below the hyperlethal dust FBs when it comes to danger level.

At first I wanted to evacuate the underground entirely, but when I saw Tozör flying through a well and bypassing my defences I sent the soldiers down to give the escaping civilians some time. They ended up stuck in an ever-increasing mass of webs a z-level above the forges, unable to attack, unable to escape, with the beast just below, occasionally breaking their legs.

Finally a hammerdwarf got through and actually fought it for some time, until Tozör started using him as a ball, kicking him all around the forges. In a desperate attempt to break the stalemate, I sent some civilians with crossbows as a relief force. Making the beast bleed out took them about two weeks of hectic battle. It ended with about 12 dead dwarves, including two soldiers, most of the military heavily injured, and a huge amount of dead war animals, which had kept suicidally throwing themselves at the beast.

At least it's dead. Now all is up to the medical staff when it comes to saving my troops. The battle took so long that some of the dwarves wounded in the beginning are dehydrating by now.

In other news, the research into impulse ramps has yielded nothing useful so far, the furniture delivery system is under construction, and in general, things are slowly progressing.

Here's one of the more ridiculous Forgotten Beasts the fort has faced (died to bisection):

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:10:48 pm by Hetairos »

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2013, 01:11:40 pm »

I've loved following this thread.

I hope you've gotten your answer on guided minecarts by now.  If not, guided minecarts use a dorf to drive them, and are not (normally) subject to collisions, either to other minecarts, objects or dorfs and pets.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2013, 01:52:27 pm »

Give me some time and I'll put dwarves there. Considering the sheer amount of stuff still scattered around that has yet to be hauled into the proper place, it may take a while.
I like how you think. There's method to the magma, as they say.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2013, 09:13:55 pm »

Thanks for making me discover an awesome song, an awesome story, and rediscover an awesome game that i though i extracted everything.
You gave me the courage to continue my current fortress despite the routine.
I'm building an army, then i'm launching a full-scale invasion on Hell.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2013, 10:31:34 pm »

1. Amazing thread so far. Masterpieces like this are rare.
2. Posting to watch.
3. Your first fortress?! Holy shit... Hetairos, you are a DF badass already, just saying.

Wow.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21