Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 90456 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Re: An Uninvited Guest [SPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 10:48:10 pm »

. . . wow.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 06:21:36 am »

Oh my god... I wish I could have a fortress like that (So action-filled, not dead!). Mine is boring and laggy. Mine biggest achievement was defeating a goblin siege consisting of 12 lashers and one pikegobbo.

Sounds like my fort for the past 21 years, minus the goblins - back then I didn't even know how to check neighbouring civs. FBs and kobold thieves posed the only danger. Speaking of lag - I have about 10 FPS now, up from 6 before the beast attacked. I was even planning to open Hell on purpose to give the fortress a more fitting end than framerate death. And that's when the game decided to give me an extra helping of ‼FUN‼.

Aren't lashers ridiculously overpowered or am I confusing them with something?
No no no, you'd want to have squads of 3 with it set to train for 2 or 3. Set to 1 would be one Dwarf on their own teaching to their self. Set to 2 or 3 would allow for much larger sparring rates (including on occasion 3 Dwarves sparring altogether simultaneously).

It's a moot point though, since multiple training orders can be given. So you can give 4 training orders for 2 in a squad of 9-10 for example, and it'd have the same effect as splitting the squad into smaller squads.

Thanks, I wish I knew that before. Not that it would've helped much... Time to reorganize the army!

A fireclown collapsed the pumps... I'd better seal the hole before anything gets out.

Why is the mason on fire?

And that's how I got a demon on the surface. Fortunately the soldiers weren't far away, and I immediately ordered them to charge. They engaged it on the ground, and a spearmaster managed to inflict enough damage (keeping fighting even while he was melting) to force it to retreat into the air, where it hovered, hurling fireballs with the rapidity of a machine gun. Ultimately it fell to heavy crossbow fire. Another mason is already on his/her way.

The rescue plan is set in motion. The dwarves have been assigned to the burrow, and a hole has already been dug. All I can do now is pray they are faster than the demons.

Deep down, the clowns are hunting down random cavern wildlife and setting everything on fire. They seem to be having fun.

But how's Radavi the beast? Well, it killed a demon:

But then...

DING DONG THE BEAST IS DEAD

Coming soon: An overview of the types of demons, and my plan on how to deal with them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:33:03 pm by Hetairos »

Marcus Of Polo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 08:50:43 am »

As a newby, ok a noob, this not only frightens me but now makes me want to surge on and find some fun!

Guess it finally succumed to its injuries?
Good luck reclaiming the dead!

zzandy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 09:48:20 am »

That is awesome! How do you manage to get 45 FPS with all the stuff going on?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 09:52:58 am »

That is really, really cool! Any chance you could write a summary of the events in the Forgotten Beast Art thread? I think you might inspire a few people there...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124312.0
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 05:15:34 pm »

ptw. This is pretty neat.

Nostril actor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 05:18:37 pm »

It's a moot point though, since multiple training orders can be given. So you can give 4 training orders for 2 in a squad of 9-10 for example, and it'd have the same effect as splitting the squad into smaller squads.

I really don't know about the whole multiple train orders thing because whenever I set it up this way I still end up getting a lot more demonstrations and a lot less sparring than when I actually make squads of 3.
"Let me out! Let me out! Let me out!"
"Stay in there 'til ye rot, vampire scum!"
"Let me- Asvirgrail, Asvirgrail, Asvrigrail...! I NEED STONE! I NEED METAL! I NEED SHELLS!"
"Wait, what? 'Asvirgrail?' Ye mean ye've got a plan?! Well why didn't ye say so! Quick now, gimme the keys! HEAR THAT LADS, VAMPIRE'S GOT A PLAN!"
"A plan you say?! 'a's wonderful! Let 'im out, gotta see what 'e's gonna make!"

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 06:01:28 pm »

As a newby, ok a noob, this not only frightens me but now makes me want to surge on and find some fun!

Guess it finally succumed to its injuries?
Good luck reclaiming the dead!

Unfortunately the combat log wasn't very informative about this, but it's lower spine has been broken at one point, in addition to middle spine wound it suffered before, and it became winded. It seems it finally suffocated to death.

That is awesome! How do you manage to get 45 FPS with all the stuff going on?

Huh? I don't, thanks to all those deaths my framerate goes up to 12 at most. DF's FPS counter sometimes gets stuck, and that's probably what happened. Or maybe I unpaused it shortly before.

That is really, really cool! Any chance you could write a summary of the events in the Forgotten Beast Art thread? I think you might inspire a few people there...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124312.0

A summary? Sure, I can do it. Do I have to draw anything? Creating anything that would be roughly recognisable as a FB something would take me a metric ton of time...

Do you remember what I said about a plan? The entry point to the caverns is surrounded by a ring of fortifications, constructed early in Wirejade's history. It served as the first beachhead in the underground, and later as a secure stronghold against dangers coming from there. Wiki told me that raised drawbridges act as walls, and are immune to building destroyers. Now, the plan was to lure some demons with a few statues, and surround the statues with several rings of upright spears triggered by a pressure plate positioned in the entrance of the main food & booze stockpile.

It didn't exactly work as intended.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is empty space above some of the fortifications fliers can get through, and all demons seem to be able to fly. At least no important dwarves were lost.

I came up with plan B soon afterwards:
Close the bridges, open the hatch, pasture an animal down there, close the hatch, send the soldiers, open the bridges, watch demons come and die, rinse and repeat. The first try yielded three dead Brine Demons, so the whole operation seems promising.

Meanwhile, three last survivors - including the blacksmith fighting a Steam Devil I mentioned before - commit acts of unprecedented badassery.

The above coming from a dwarf whose highest combat skill was Competent Fighter. He would've killed it with his bare hands, but a Brine Demon came and smashed everyone into a bloody pulp. Another one destroyed a Steam Devil with a single strike of his pick. The last one is the blacksmith himself simply for holding out for long enough to have his skills rise up to Proficient level and becoming able to counterstrike.

The new engravings in the burial chambers are underwhelming: foundation of the fort, a cheetah, a leopard, some boring masterwork items, dwarves crying over no longer being militia commanders. Come on, I want some dwarves in foetal positions and laughing demons, or vice versa!

There was about a hundred of them, so far, twelve are dead. Here's the promised overview:
• Haunts of Fire and Specters of Fire - made of fire, shoot fireballs. breath fire. The "ranged wing" of the forces of the underworld. Not very tough, but few thing manage to get close to them.
• White Demons and Slush Banshees - composed of snow. Surprisingly, quite deadly.
• Brine Demons - salt bristleworms with shells. Die easily, provided you can hit them.
• Spirits of Ash - three-tailed blobs of ash, about as powerful as the snow clowns.
• Tick Devils - eyeless ticks, the only type of demon to bear a syndrome (poisonous gas), excluding the Slug Demons which wander aimlessly in Hell. It causes fever and blistering of the skin, but doesn't appear to be lethal. In combat, usually keep spraying gas and doing little else.
• Steam Devils - oddly enough, beaver-shaped. Completely unable to directly deal damage, but incredibly good at dodging.
• Demon of Salt - a salt blob. There's only one of this kind.

The blob-shaped ones are worrying, since I'm not sure if they can be killed in combat at all.

And right when I was thinking things are getting better...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:34:05 pm by Hetairos »

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 06:06:57 pm »

That seems to be the right moment for Operation Fuck The World: Dig a direct connection between clown town and the surface. That planet deserves it.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 06:18:51 pm »

Catch the dragon in a cage trap. Maybe you can keep it cooped up behind some fortifications, then path some demons in front of it and try to kill them with dragon fire. I know they're immune to lava, but dragon fire is a lot hotter.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 06:26:05 pm »

That seems to be the right moment for Operation Fuck The World: Dig a direct connection between clown town and the surface. That planet deserves it.

I agree with MattStriker. Let the demons loose, and have your dwarves seal themselves into themselves. Cask of Amontillado yourself.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 06:30:01 pm »

Ask yourself this: Can it never cease to get worse?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 11:53:11 am »

Catch the dragon in a cage trap. Maybe you can keep it cooped up behind some fortifications, then path some demons in front of it and try to kill them with dragon fire. I know they're immune to lava, but dragon fire is a lot hotter.

That's exactly what I'm going to do.

The dragon burned a large amount of animals, and a few dwarves who stayed on the surface to have a drink. I guess that's what "negative effects of alcohol consumption" mean in Dwarf Fortress. I'm trying to lure it into the trap corridor, but it's more interested in destroying furniture in the surface barracks. I have to say that dragonfire is impressive. Grass doesn't even burn, but instantly turns into ashes. Stone and metal items caught in the direct blast melt into something that's apparently categorized as "glob".

The strangest thing is was a burning donkey foal which doesn't suffer damage or emit smoke. It died in the heat as soon as I unpaused the game, which seems to be a bug. The same thing happened to another one near the wells, where a large number of dwarves is hanging out. I hope nothing important catches fire.

Oh, and:

A moody dwarf made an artifact sheep bone coffin. I designated it as Sakzul's future resting place.

In the underground front, great success! The new demon elimination plan may be even better than the first one. Its second execution yielded about a dozen dead demons, including Fatesank the tick devil, which is likely responsible for the injuries which caused the beast's death. Blob clowns aren't as that dangerous, I saw an ash one die to two or three bolts.

A spider FB walked into the third caver level and was killed by demons without inflicting any damage.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 12:53:23 pm »

Do you mind if I put that in my signature? I find that to be way too funny to pass up on.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 04:42:45 pm »

PTW for more !!fun!! and clowns and goresplosions.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21