Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 90463 times)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: An Uninvited Guest [SPOILERS]
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 09:32:12 am »

Oh my god... I wish I could have a fortress like that (So action-filled, not dead!). Mine is boring and laggy. Mine biggest achievement was defeating a goblin siege consisting of 12 lashers and one pikegobbo.
Sounds like my fort for the past 21 years, minus the goblins - back then I didn't even know how to check neighbouring civs. FBs and kobold thieves posed the only danger. Speaking of lag - I have about 10 FPS now, up from 6 before the beast attacked. I was even planning to open Hell on purpose to give the fortress a more fitting end than framerate death. And that's when the game decided to give me an extra helping of ‼FUN‼.

Aren't lashers ridiculously overpowered or am I confusing them with something?

Whoops, sorry for not respoding for such a long time, I ragequitted life because of DF crash and lost saves :P

Speaking of lashers, according to wiki even copper whips can crush steel helmets.
Also, I remember one of my lost forts, a single ambush with a lasher destroyed my whole fort and the lasher was pursuing my tantruming mayor in circles for a long time and finally crushed his head. I LOLed so hard the whole time! :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:34:26 am by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 10:12:42 am »

Whips are one of the weapons that react in really weird ways to the damage calculations. Tiny contact area, huge leverage modifier...extremely nasty.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 10:49:51 am »

i lol'd wayy more than what should be socially acceptable for a situation necessitating such dwarfy reactions.

breaching the fiery beyond to deal with one FB.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 06:19:04 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Do you mind if I put that in my signature? I find that to be way too funny to pass up on.

Sure, go ahead!

yay I got sigged

Unfortunately, the dragon decided that going in circles close to the barracks is a wonderful idea. And then the dwarven caravan came.

So the merchants arrive to see blood and ashes everywhere, us nowhere to be seen, a rampaging dragon

WELCOME TO FUCKING WIREJADE!

I hope you like dragonfire!

Two of them were melted together with their pack animals, and the rest fled the map. Not a big loss, since all I've been using the caravans for during the past decade or so was getting rid of tattered clothes. All that remained behind was a pile of mostly useless metal stuff.

Finally, I lost my patience and decided to bait the dragon with dwarves. Long story short, it ended up so heavily wounded by marksdwarves that I sent soldiers to put it out of its misery. A spear in the head brought it down.

Two or three more demons are dead. The bulk of their forces is still deep below where magma forge complex used to be, and there is plenty of furniture left to trash. I doubt that I'll be able to shoot them all from safety, even though it seems that the mere presence of dwarves on the battlements draws them where I want. The reclamation of the caverns will be long and bloody.

I cold use more dwarves. Jewellers and masons suffered the heaviest losses, but I'd make use of anybody, especially with some military skills. Everyone is now busy cleaning up the surface, hauling animal corpses and withered crops (the farms were meant to supply almost 200 more dwarves), repasturing the surviving creatures and restoring the surface statue garden.

A furnace operator got possessed and is making something out of bone. Why do all dwarves without moodable skills in this fortress make bone crafts?

Several months have passed since Wirejade went under the population cap, but migrants aren't coming. Why? Is it too early?

Oh, did I mention this is my first fortress ever?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:34:57 pm by Hetairos »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 07:57:23 pm »

Wow. PTW.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 11:09:05 pm »

Your first fortress?!?! My first fortress everyone got killed by an ambush.... :/
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 04:57:06 pm »

Mine, the mayor ordered the hammering of his wife, son and two other popular dwarves. He went beserk soon after. did I mention that he was also my millitary commander nad armed  and armored in steel with Proficent Swordsdwarf. My second I made a causeway from hell to surface

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 10:39:57 pm »

You seriously need to do a Story fort!

:o
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 01:07:41 pm »

Your first fortress?!?! My first fortress everyone got killed by an ambush.... :/

That's probably how mine would've ended had goblins been anywhere nearby... Dwarf Fortress definitely has quite a few things left in store for me.

You seriously need to do a Story fort!

:o

Oh wow, I don't think my storytelling skills would be sufficient for this. Here, I'm doing little more than describing events from the game.

As of 11th Sandstone, 148 approximately 1/3 of the demons is dead, the vast majority killed by marksdwarves. It took some time and ammo.

Do you see this wall grate in the middle? It's an artifact created by the fortress manager, one of the starting seven (two of which remain alive) and is currently serving as the demon bait. The dead dwarves were sent to deal with a tick devil stubbornly refusing to succumb to the crossbow fire. As it turns out, even a gravely wounded demon with a dozen metal bolts firmly stuck in its body is perfectly capable of ripping a dwarf's guts through masterwork steel armour. The fortifications at the bottom are meant to be a ballista bunker, but I suppose the operators will run away anyway. However, I can go back to my old idea of using upright spears, and 80 iron ones have already been commissioned. While the raised bridges don't stop demons from coming inside, they seem to mess with their pathfinding.

Checkerboards, magma machineguns, minecart shotguns... The dwarves of Wirejade will defeat the legions of Hell with good old dakka, and some pointy metal sticks.

In other news, I'm massproducing iron bolts and searching for new coal veins to power the industry. I don't like having to rely on charcoal, and the aforementioned iron spears will require some fuel. An elven caravan arrived and nobody bothered to go and trade with it. Some dwarf made an artifact statue of an otherwise unremarkable giant sloth bear being killed by a Forgotten Beast. I discovered kobold bone crafts in one of the workshops. I finally managed to stockpile some soap and make dwarven syrup.

Some time before Radavi's rampage, I had the idea to arm all civilians with a bone crossbow, a wooden shield and a full quiver. If it got there just a few months later, it's likely it would get shot before inflicting too much damage. Anyway, the project appears to be complete. It's hilarious when a kobold thief gets spotted inside the fortress.

The demons in the old forges are finished with smashing furniture. Some went up, some stayed deep underground for no particular reason.

Migrants, why aren't you coming? You can take potshots at demons here! Crossbow and ammo for free!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:40:33 pm by Hetairos »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 01:20:10 pm »

Migrants, why aren't you coming? You can take potshots at demons here! Crossbow and ammo for free!
There always reaches a point where the Overseer needs it pointed out to them just how insane they seem.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 01:33:20 pm »

Wow, your fortress is indeed having a party with that uninvited guest and its clown entourage. Well done.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 09:53:04 am »

There always reaches a point where the Overseer needs it pointed out to them just how insane they seem.

Bay12 calls me insane... Should I turn myself over to an asylum or just go straight to the SCP Foundation?

Wow, your fortress is indeed having a party with that uninvited guest and its clown entourage. Well done.

Everybody is indeed having lots of fun, but it seems not all guests will make it home on their own...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meet Mestthos Earthenexits the Flaxen Elder. She's a moderately skilled macedwarf, serving in the Primitive Daggers squad. Faster than her squadmates, always running ahead of them.

And she has recently killed a tick devil in hand-to-hand combat.

With a single strike.

Of her shield.

Because she stubbornly refuses to pick up a weapon.

Some time ago, a kobold thief was unlucky enough to be caught by her. She proceeded to break every bone in his body with the shield, before finishing him off with a blow to the head.

She is scaring me.

How did it all happen? Well, the upright spears I mentioned before were all in place and hooked the up to a lever (initially I wanted to use a pressure plate, but it didn't work as intended, so I decided a lever would be more reliable). All except one tile. Some dwarves came down to fix it and clean up the place a little bit, and were attacked by a tick devil demon. At one moment, only two metalsmiths remained alive.

They miraculously crippled the demon's legs and wings, rendering it unable to move, and kept it pinned down with crossbowfire, standing amidst the blood both fresh and old, grime, torn off limbs, corpses of demons and their fellow dwarves, bolts and clouds of foul-smelling miasma and fever-inducing gas, until the relief force arrived. You know the rest.

Said spears are working quite well and have already skewered a demon on their own. I moved the ballista a bit so the operator no longer runs away, but only 1 shot out of 2 reaches the target, and there is always nobody to fire it when I need it.

One of the flame demons has somehow killed itself in a remote part of the caverns. It just... somehow rammed itself into the ground and exploded. A closer inspection revealed forgotten beast webs inaccessible to dwarves, hanging above some ramps. It still doesn't fully explain how a basically weightless creature fell on the ground with sufficient force to blow itself apart, but whatever.

I'm beginning to wonder if opening Hell doesn't somehow stop immigration. If someone could confirm or debunk this I'd be grateful.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:40:54 pm by Hetairos »

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 10:09:38 am »

I'm beginning to wonder if opening Hell doesn't somehow stop immigration. If someone could confirm or debunk this I'd be grateful.
I can confirm that it doesn't, but the high amount of casualties and the death of merchants will scare them off
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 10:42:05 am »

I have a pillbox set up away from my fort thats full to the brim with clowns. I use them as a sort of guard tower against elves, goblins and also as target practice for siege weapons. I've had several migrant waves since then, in fact the last batch of migrants passed perilously close to the bunker when making their way to my proper fort, was half expecting them to all get fireballed in the face.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2013, 10:57:16 am »

I can confirm that it doesn't, but the high amount of casualties and the death of merchants will scare them off

Only that I don't even get the "The fortress attracted no migrants this season" message. And the last caravan left a few months ago filled to the brim with goods.

I have a pillbox set up away from my fort thats full to the brim with clowns. I use them as a sort of guard tower against elves, goblins and also as target practice for siege weapons. I've had several migrant waves since then, in fact the last batch of migrants passed perilously close to the bunker when making their way to my proper fort, was half expecting them to all get fireballed in the face.

Doesn't that eat up FPS like crazy? Certainly better than a "welcome" sign, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21