Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the chu-ko-nu  (Read 7361 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the chu-ko-nu
« on: June 23, 2001, 08:18:00 pm »

the chu-ko-nu is a repeating crossbow used by the chinese way back when, if something along the lines of it were put in, how would you handle attacks per round? maybe bursts! and sorry i havent posted latley, them ladies just cant get enough of me...  :eek:

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the chu-ko-nu
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2001, 10:58:00 am »

Though there are annoying problems with making mechanical systems work... I think that it is likely that we will have things like crossbows and cho-ku-nos... As for how we would handle something like that.. this is my guess:  Since its not really a "burst" weapon, it just takes less time to reload it and ready it (a note, the cho-ku-no sacrifices power for speed of loading, not that it matters much because a regular crossbow is ridiculously powerful.. penetrating multiple people sometimes)  In any case, I think that the way it would work is that it has a really fast recycle time, i.e. when you shoot it, you get to shoot again quickly.  In the turn based game this might be hard to see, except for the fact that as your enemy charges you you get 3 shots at him instead of just one.
Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2001, 02:01:00 pm »

multiple corpse piercing, thats gotta be hella hard when corpse processing has to...um...process it. speaking of it, does anyone know or have a suggestion for the bas bolt capacity? are they held in a cartridge or does the pullback thingy just comeback alot easier? yet another tool im my quest to kil lall those annoying stupid...squat dwarves!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2001, 09:39:00 am »

Hey 680.  Yeah, there aren't really "rounds" in this game right now.  An action takes a certain number of "clicks".  So if it just takes 100 clicks to reload a regular crossbow, a repeating crossbow would just take far fewer.  The game is still turn-based, because you have unlimited time to act when your previous action expires, that is, after you reload for 100 clicks, you then get to decide what your next action is for as long as you like.  On the other hand, because "clicks" in essence mimic real-time "frames" or screen refreshes, the conversion would be trivial to program, and might be a game option in the future.  It would be nerve-wracking though, since even a highly skilled character would have to be constantly on the lookout for lowly creatures like kobolds.  Anything can kill anything else in this game if it's lucky (no hitpoints to slowly wittle away).

Lessee, what else...  I have no idea what a chu-ko-nu/cho-ku-no/whatever looks like, or how it works, or any other repeating crossbow for that matter.  Does it come up on a web search?

Multiple piercings would be difficult -- in particular, from the "stuck-in" point of view.  I'm not sure how to make a large bolt nail three smaller creatures together (or a large sword for that matter).  Even regular stuck-ins lead to problematic scenarios, especially when there are more than one between two or several creatures.  It can get arbitrarily messy.

My internet connections are all messed up right now.  I think I'll still be able to do updates, but I have to dial in through the university and then go on AOL to do them.  It's very strange.

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2001, 11:45:00 am »

A cho-ku-no has a sort of clip that goes on the top.. except you cant take it off.
it holds 5 or so bolts, hte advantage really is simple...
instead of shoot, crank back bow, load shoot..
it becomes
shoot, crank, shoot

cranking takes only slight less time, more depending upon the strength of the crossbow.
the neat part is that the bolts just sorta fall into place, rather than you taking them from a quiver, adn placing it on top of the crossbow.

This is traditionaly why bows are quicker, longer range, and crossbows are just really powerful at short range, but shoot MUCH slower.
This is also why longbows often beat crossbows in battle, becuase crossbows are short distance.

On the ohter hand, if you use crossbows against heavy calvary.. hehe you win :-)

Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok