Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: advASCIIdraw - the advanced ASCII art program, 2.0.3 now out!  (Read 11138 times)

amulware

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to pixels. Making games.
    • View Profile
    • amulware.net

Hey there!

I am a programmer and I made an ASCII drawing program, with tons of features, and since this is kind of THE place for all things ASCII(far as I know), I wanted to share it with you guys.
(I have only shown this to a handful of people before and just put the first public version out there yesterday!)

TL;DR: Make awesome ASCII images with this program! Free download at bottom of post!

Screenshot of program:

The goal of this program, that I call advASCIIdraw, is to make drawing ASCII images, and especially roguelike/dungeon crawler type environments, as easy to create as possible.

It's light-weight and enables anyone to make cool ASCII art in no time, by providing tools similar to other popular painting programs, but especially adapted for ASCII.

It has many cool features, the biggest things right now being:
  • Advanced Brush
    Draw ASCII images like you are used to in other drawing programs, includes options like brush size, shape, fill rate..
  • Layers
    No good drawing program without layers!
  • Presets
    Define your own brushes consisting of multiple characters and/or colours. No need to draw your blades of grass individually, anymore!
  • Huge Canvas
    Thousands of characters across, you can make HUGE ASCII images.(And no worries, save file compression keeps your files small!)
  • Custom Charsets/Tilesets and Colour Palettes
    Easily add your own charsets and palettes to customise your images! Also add and edit colour palettes with just a few clicks right in the program!

And these are just some of what I think are the coolest things about advASCIIdraw.

So, if you are ready to give it a try, scroll down a bit to the download link. Or, bare with me and read a little more.

Because.. this is not all!
I would LOVE to work more on this program in the future. I would love to get feedback and improve the program with it, and in the long run build completely new and awesome features into it as well!
But there is the thing, I really need that feedback!

A programmer can only code in the dark for so long. But after too much time he gets lost...

So, if you like (making) ASCII art, you would do me, and everybody else, who is interested, a huge favour by getting involved!
Share the program with others, give feedback, share your ideas!

But, most importantly, use advASCIIdraw to make awesome ASCII art!
(And feel free to show us/me what you make, I would love to see what you guys can do with it.)

I really hope that we can build a little community of awesome people, and if you are still reading this, you are totally awesome, around advASCIIdraw and make it the most amazing ASCII drawing tool, that has ever been!

So, thanks for reading thus far!

BOTTOM OF POST (download here):
And finally, here is the link to the page of the program(download is right there on the page):
http://amulware.net/advASCIIdraw/

So, go there, maybe check out the few pictures in the gallery, read more about the features, or:
Just download it and have a go at it!

That is all for now.
One monster of a post, sorry for that, I hope you guys get something out of it and that you like advASCIIdraw!

Remember, I would love to improve the program, so do not be shy with you suggestions!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:51:41 am by amulware »
Look, I made an ASCII drawing program: amulware.net/advASCIIdraw/ (It is super cool and free, give it a try!)
Also check out my games and other things: amulware.net

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Re: advASCIIdraw - I made an ASCII drawing program, give it a try!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:20:49 pm »

HOLY NUTS.

I know quite a few guys on this very forum that use ASCIIdraw regularly. This is awesome, good work!

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »

Downloaded!

I've been using the original ASCIIdraw to make maps for a game that I'm running and this looks like it will be a big improvement over it. I'll let you know what I think of it after I've played around with it a bit.

A few things that might improve it that I noticed right after I opened it up:
-You'll probably want to include a tutorial, or at least put the documentation within the program itself, or in a text file at least. I always find it slightly annoying when the instruction manual is on the Internet only, as I'm often without access when I'm at home.
-There should be some way to use the charset while using the arrow keys to move around, I often use ░ for grass and other things (Example) and there is no way that I can of to insert these (or other characters that are available in the charset, but not on the keyboard itself) while using the type tool, which I prefer as its more precise and doesn't tire out my hand as quickly. 
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:21:46 pm »

This looks really nice. I'll check it out later, mayby.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

amulware

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amulware.net
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 05:45:30 pm »

Thanks guys,
your feedback is really encouraging!

And Phantom,
I can see both of your points. And I have put both of them on my todo list for the next version.
I am not completely sure how to best accommodate you in your second request though, have to think about that further.
But I can definitely see how your old workflow does not really work in advASCIIdraw.

I am interested though, in the image you linked, is it not a lot of work to set all those grassy tiles one at a time?
In advASCIIdraw, I would simply make a new layer, select the entire area, fill it with grass(you can fill selections with F or INS), and then draw the rest on top in a similar fashion.
Just trying to make sure that this really is a flaw in advASCIIdraw, and if it is, how to best solve it.

The typing tool in advASCIIdraw was in fact really meant for typing text only, as with the brush it seemed to me that selecting a character and then clicking where you want it is actually one step less, compared to when you also have to hit another key to put the character there.

I guess, what I am basically saying is, that my goal was to make this program better than ASCIIdraw was(otherwise, why make it?).
So I wonder if maybe while your previous workflow is not working any more, maybe there are easier ways here to achieve the same goal? At least I would hope there are, otherwise I have certainly failed in my quest to make a great program! :D
So, please point any mistakes in my reasoning, if there are any, and keep the feedback coming!

Also, either way I can see that the program would profit from more features being accessible with the keyboard only.
That is certainly something I will keep in mind and try to work on!

So, thanks again for the feedback, it is much appreciated!

Also, if you should decide to use the program for any forum games, or other purposes, if possible, please leave me a link, I am super curious! ;)
Look, I made an ASCII drawing program: amulware.net/advASCIIdraw/ (It is super cool and free, give it a try!)

amulware

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amulware.net
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 05:02:38 pm »

Alright, I found the time to do a quick update.

Version 2.0.1 is now out and can be downloaded at http://amulware.net/advASCIIdraw/

Noteworthy changes include:
  • Offline documentation included in download
  • Enabled numpad input on all text fields
  • Enabled use of INS and DEL keys for drawing in type tool; you can also hold these down while moving the cursor around to draw constantly

So, thank you guys for the feedback, and keep it coming!

Specifically at Phantom:
Let me know how the addition of the INS and DEL shortcuts to the type tool work for you.

:)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:18:55 pm by amulware »

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 08:27:43 pm »

I've been looking for a program that draws ASCII that I can use without too much difficulty for some time.

One question (which is probably really silly, I'm blind when I'm looking for something):
How do you use background colours? Do you have to use another layer?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

amulware

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amulware.net
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 02:17:45 am »

Yes, you have to use another layer for background colours.
Draw on it with the fully filled character and don't forget to check the background checkbox.

Drawing both, foreground and background together is unfortunately not possible right now.
That might be there at some later point, but I can make no promises(with the current system, I think it will be difficult to add).
I will however see to include a setting to change the entire images background colour soon!

Thanks for the reply, I hope the program will be useful for you.
I'll also check our your game later. :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:03 pm »

Huh, neat. I'll have to check this out!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

amulware

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amulware.net
Re: advASCIIdraw - the advanced ASCII art program, 2.0.2 now out!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 07:39:54 am »

Hey, thanks, and certainly feel free to give it a try!

I just put up the next update, this time with only one addition, but a big one:

Native PNG export!

Export the entire image as PNG with just a few clicks.
Or select an area and export only that! Could not be simpler.

Unfortunately I will be busy with other things for coming couple of weeks, so the next update will probably have to wait a little.
But after other things are sorted out, I will certainly be back at work.

So, keep that feedback coming and maybe your suggestion will make it into the next update!
And of course, make cool ASCII art!

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 03:26:45 pm »

YES!!!!

That will save me so much time...

amulware

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amulware.net
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 08:50:35 am »

It has been quite a while now, much longer than I anticipated... Let's say, I have been busy with other things (<-click for awesome game I am working on).

But advASCIIdraw is NOT dead, and in fact, I just put out another update, based on a feature request I got last week.

Thus, I just released 2.0.3, which now can export your ASCII images to clear text files!
Check out the free download on the website.

And as always, let me know what you think!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: advASCIIdraw - the advanced ASCII art program, 2.0.3 now out!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 11:55:23 am »

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS UNTIL NOW?

I've been using REXPaint all along, but this...
Downloading right now, will share opinions soon enough!

(and mind you, I think I was the first person around to use proper ASCII pictures, but feel free to prove me wrong)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: advASCIIdraw - the advanced ASCII art program, 2.0.3 now out!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 02:44:44 pm »

IIRC

Nerjin did a short lived dwarf fortress game with ASCII illustrations that predates you by more than half a year.

However simple statistics proves you wrong Forum games and RP has more than 200 pages. ASCII should be findable in there.
Pages: [1] 2 3