Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catacombs  (Read 2013 times)

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catacombs
« on: March 18, 2013, 07:47:04 am »

Ive been sent to kill a ringleader, and have been told to look here, in the catacombs.
When following the quest indicator, it leads to a few houses and thats it.
Ive scanned the general area, but it doesnt really look catacomby to me, nor do i see any ringleaders.

So... i guess they are underground, as befits a catacomb.
Is there a way to tell where the entry is?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catacombs
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:39 am »

The catacombs are under a temple. You can find temples because they appear marked in the overland map (with the name in blue, i think).
The temples are usually big, rectangular engraved buildings.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:25:41 am »

Its "inside" a village, the zoomed-in part of the fast-travel map.
If i should describe it, its a load of 4x4 - 6x6 houses stuffed with people, but nothing that resembles a temple.

Does the quest location show the entry to the catacombs, or the location of the NPC some Z-levels below?
Its not marked as a single tile, but a "***" area of terrain.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:08:55 am »

The location indicator points towards a site. It doesn't point towards the creature you're sent after. It also tends to get confused when you're in a site with both aboveground and underground structures, like towns with dungeons, sewers and catacombs. And in settlements, there appears to be a kind of 'anchor' area on which the location indicator is centred. This area can be a completely irrelevant patch of field.

If you're in the town containing the quest temple, _don't_ follow the [tsk] indicator, but rather travel to the temple, enter the catacombs there and just search the place until you find your target or give up (catacombs can be extremely large and convoluted). The [TSK] indicator down there may occasionally switch between *** and some direction indications. That, too, is useless; it's just that some parts of the catacombs are not counted as part of the catacombs proper and the indicator tries to point towards the catacombs' 'location', which is once again unrelated to the actual location of your quest target.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:34:05 am »

Ok, ive found something that might resemble a temple and is in the general area.
It looks like the keep of the castle, and it has an "upward stairway" in it which i cant move up.
What keybinding am i missing here?

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 03:55:58 pm »

You should keep your eyes open for a hatch hiding a staircase going down. Keeps in cities also have paths leading down. Be careful for hostiles and (not sure if this is still in them) traps.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:22:30 pm »

Any idea about the stairway?
Looks like a regular up-stair tile, and says "upwards stairway", but i can move over it in all directions, cant "I" or "u" it...

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »

That's because stairs use [<] and [>] for up and down travel respectively. not or .

HandofCreation0

• Bay Watcher
  • 3D Artist and Ca Calne Fan
    • View Profile
    • HandofCreation0's DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:55:49 pm »

From my shorthand experience in tombs and catacombs, just outright avoid traveling in them, running into a Necromancer who WASN'T a part of your quest or the information you might already know about the site is virtual suicide.

I'd suggest just finding a new quest in my opinion.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Please take a number; the Forgotten Beast will be with you shortly!

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 05:06:58 am »

I think ill really abandon this quest, although i wanted to see the catacombs one time (im quite new to the adventurer thing)

The temple consists of 2 Z-levels,
the ground floor is only pillars around open space while the z level above is the platform (on which i encountered the local vampire-priest that was stabbed to death by a child).
From ground level, theres a downward slope that leads down 3 z-levels and consists of a pool of water on the lowest level (the open space on ground level) with a single tile walkway around it.
Then it stops.

Is there a way to abandon a quest?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 06:45:23 am »

Leaving a quest unfinished doesn't impact further play - no-one expects you to do it, it's just a suggestion for how you might spend your time. The only negative thing unfinished quests do is clutter up your 'task' list.

In a temple with catacombs, there are doors leading off in the four cardinal directions from the 'bottom' level, the one with the pool. If there are no doors there, the temple is not connected to the catacombs. That normally means that there's _another_ temple in town, which has the catacombs. It may take some more stumbling around on the quick-travel map to locate it.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:07:41 am »

Hm... it was definitly not a temple the way you describe it, so ill have another look sometime.

Wandering around in the city (the capital) did not show another temple with a blue name in the overview, but maybe ill just finish it someday later.

I hate leaving things unfinished.
Those poor bullied citizens... whos gonna help them if not me?

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 12:10:38 pm »

Ok, i got the first npc, but after 7 hours of crawling through the catacombs i have quite enough of it.
Is there a way (dfhack *cough*) to kill off an NPC that i havent found in an entire day?
Ive killed 5 other ringleaders down there, so i consider it minor cheating because i would have killed him if we met...