Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stance attacks on prone targets - stomping  (Read 1154 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stance attacks on prone targets - stomping
« on: March 19, 2013, 05:31:57 pm »

Just had a simple thought come to me. If a creature is prone, and another creature attacks it, if it uses a body part with the [STANCE] tag to attack then it should get a bonus of some kind. Perhaps the bonus is based on the mass difference between the creatures/body parts?

Curb stomp your enemies for victory.

Trampling should be possible as well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:00:45 am by OzyTheSage »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stance attacks on prone targets - curb stomp
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 11:39:10 pm »

sorry to necropost, I've just had a very similar idea and this one seems like a particularly good suggestion now that pulping's back and I'd like to expand on it a bit.

So, "curb stomping" is an effect (a change to the collision formulas) to be applied when the attacked bodypart is pressed between the attacking bodypart/object and solid ground/wall/treetrunk/minecart and is unable to be moved out of the way. It is meant to increase the attack's force and lethality, because no energy will be transferred into the motion of the target and thus more of it will go into deformation of both the target and the percussor (though the latter isn't implemented yet).

Instead of introducing new attacks though, stomping effects  should activate (in a percentage of cases perhaps) whenever an attack is directed against a bodypart that can feasibly have contact with the ground or wall atm. So, let's take a look at a few examples.

upright Human A is using his left foot to kick the right foot of the upright Human B. Since right foot is a [STANCE] bodypart, it has a fair chance of having contact with the ground, so this attack should be treated as a stomping attack with a decent probability (around 70% probably, the rest amounting to the kicks at a lifted foot and kicks to the side of the foot).

Standing goblin G is swinging his mace at a prone dwarven child C, aiming for the head. Since C is prone, any bodypart has a good chance of having contact with the ground, so this attack should have a good (0.8 or more)probability of been amplified by using a stomping calculation against a usual collision calculation.

An adventurer A standing hiding next to a tree trunk is being shot from behind by an elven archer. Since A is hiding and thus likely tries to position himself close to obstacles, any bodypart should be assumed to have a decent chance of having contact with the tree, thus making it feasible to use the stomping formula to calculate the attack. Moreover, a separate penetration calculation could be made here to determine if the target bodypart should be nailed to the tree by the arrow.

To make it more lively and veritable, some additional mechanisms may be wrapped around it (for example, if you detect an incoming attack aimed at your foot and you don'd want it to be stomped, you can use it for kicking and thus avoid the stomping effect)

The implied connection with pulping here is that regular attack against a freehanging or raised limb shouldn't  have that big a chance or potential to cause pulping damage, because a good part of the energy would've been transferred into kinetic energy of the target. Target being pressed against the ground or walls is where the most extensive damage (leading to pulping and bisection) should occur

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 07:43:44 am »

Main problem is that the collision formula as it is now basically treats all attacks as curb stomps.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:00:36 pm »

I didn't know that. I thought that the default formula assumed the collision between freely moving objects, basing this suggestion on the possibility of propelling targets by the force of melee attacks. But actually what you said just that the issue is more important, because it's about fixing the mechanics that work improperly as opposed to implementing new ones.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 01:00:16 am »

Wow I was just thinking about this topic a few days ago, the proper title should be 'trampling' or simply 'stomping' not so much 'curb stomp' hehe.

I didn't know it treated attacks without taking motion after the blow, that could be why everything is so lethal now. When I made the topic I was moreso thinking along the lines of making it easier to target prone enemies using your [STANCE] body parts and not so much the extra damage, but that makes sense as well.

So I suppose now the suggestion stands as: make [STANCE] parts easier to target prone enemies (and maybe vice versa too? Grapple the enemy and take them down with you!), and make the default formula for attacks not pretend they target is an immovable object upon contact.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Stance attacks on prone targets - stomping
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 04:33:49 pm »

Once the damage formula takes free motion into account, the current behavior can simply be left in when attacking prone enemies.