Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42

Author Topic: [50.xx] Succubus Dungeon 19.0 - Dens and Altars  (Read 226380 times)

Iazo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succubus civ [2.2] - Beasts from below
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2013, 11:03:49 am »

Bismuth bronze is purple, right?

Way more fitting for a succubus civ.

Anyway, I am new to modding. Where would I add bronze anvils and black bronze armors?

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 11:24:21 am »

The only thing you need to add them are those tags above. Open up the "raw" then "objects" folder of your DF package and look for a file named 'inorganic_metal.txt', this file contains all the properties and tags for each metal and material.

Find the metal labeled [INORGANIC:BRONZE] (you can search this btw) and add  the [ITEMS_ANVIL] tag after [ITEMS_ARMOR]

For Black Bronze/ Bismuth Bronze armors and weapons add the tags:
[ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR] below the [MAX_EDGE:10000] tag to the [INORGANIC:BLACK_BRONZE] and [INORGANIC:BISMUTH_BRONZE] definitions.

Essentially what these tags do is tell the game engine that these materials are suitable for the production of weapons (axes, swords, maces, ect), ranged weapons (crossbows, bows, ect), ammo for the ranged weapons (bolts and arrows), pick-axes, and of course armor.

Once you make those changes and save the file any new world you generate will allow you to use any smelter to make tools, weapons, and armor out of those materials you changed. If you want to update an existing save you have then open the save folder that has your data and find the 'inorganic_metal.txt' and make those changes. Note that making the change in the save folder will not carry over to newly generated worlds. It will only affect that save.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 01:45:44 pm »

I think that the bronze anvil will not work because it must be fire safe to be used in forges. Or at least I had a moody succubus build a zync anvil which turned out to be useless.

I try not to edit the original raws so you can drop the mod and play but if you like the idea of dark bronze, I can add a refined material in the next version.

Iazo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 02:05:40 pm »

I tried using a rose gold anvil. Worked fine. I am not sure whether it will work in a magma forge, but a normal forge probably has no problem.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 02:36:14 pm »

Oddly enough I cannot put my zinc artifact in a forge, it indeed requires a "fire safe" anvil and not "magma safe". Too bad, that would have made my metalworkers quite happy.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 02:45:32 pm »

I've never had any trouble using non-magma safe materials for anvils before, I can see the sense in that but unless dwarves hammer the metal inside the forge it shouldn't be an issue. Of course I've never used a flammable thing, just not magma-safe... interesting.

Aside:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good point on the editing of default raws, especially since you want to avoid conflicts. You could always have a summoned creature that when butchered drops an ore of some material with the [ITEMS_ANVIL] tag allowing people to lessen the blow of the parent civ no having access to anvils. Making the summoned creature unable to have children and possible inflicting a baleful, toxic syndrome on the summoner should keep the "free" material abuse to a minimum. Having all the rituals not be completely safe does tend to make things a bit interesting.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »

I would personally create an entirely new material for this. Name it something suitable, "Darkmetal" or something. Black_Legion's idea would work alright, and could possibly even be adapted for the entirety of the civ's material needs. As in, all materials they need/want are gotten via summoning.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 01:18:06 am »

I added 2 metals : Tainted bronze, that will ensure the availability of anvils and a second one almost as good as steel you can get by shearing a summoned creature's horn. I am still looking for a good name for the second one.

Tainted bronze will be obtained at the smelter with bronze, flux stone and a secret ingredient. :P

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2013, 05:42:02 pm »

I added 2 metals : Tainted bronze, that will ensure the availability of anvils and a second one almost as good as steel you can get by shearing a summoned creature's horn. I am still looking for a good name for the second one.

Tainted bronze will be obtained at the smelter with bronze, flux stone and a secret ingredient. :P

Names like 'devil horn' or even the more fancy sounding 'daemon horn' could work. 'Stygian Bone/Horn' or something could work as well, of course it depends on the creature and how fanciful you want to make the name.

I would personally create an entirely new material for this. Name it something suitable, "Darkmetal" or something. Black_Legion's idea would work alright, and could possibly even be adapted for the entirety of the civ's material needs. As in, all materials they need/want are gotten via summoning.

A civ that relies on a summoning mechanic and the "farming" of creatures would make it play quite differently than the dwarven method of "dig-hole-find-shiny-dig-deeper". Of course having to balance out the space for the pastures and food needs for anything with the [GRAZER:$value] tags would require an shift for most from the standard fortress designs and industries. It's an interesting idea... of course the question is if this matches the flavor/direction Boltgun wants for them. Either way it is really an interesting idea for a unique mechanic and style of play.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2013, 06:48:32 am »

At first I wanted summoning to give reasons to seek "useless" items, like vermin or plant extract and barrels of blood. After all, I only wanted to spice up the original dwarven gameplay.

But this is getting fun, there is quite a lot to do with creatures. After the next version I will start to look into LUA hooks and see if I can 'untrain' summoned creatures to add more importance to animal trainers. That will complete it nicely, and I like the metagaming aspect of teaching your civ about your creatures.

Anyway I added most content I needed for the next version. I have a lot of testing to do, I still don't know if you can make an armor out of a cut horn. So I will limit version 3 to 2 sumonable creatures instead of the 4 I wanted.

Oh and among the stuff I added, corsets. :P Metal corsets goes in the UNDER layer and count as armor, I am afraid that it would be overpowered to have 3 layers of armor.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:55:17 am by Boltgun »

Iazo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2013, 12:24:20 pm »

While this sound interesting, dicking around with summoning and animals isn't my idea of fun. Actually sounds rather tedious.

Also, probably needs a new race introduction. If you are supposed to be punished convicts, why the hell would the main civilization trade with you/sell you wisps? I was initially sold on the idea of carving your own fort, with no trade, no help from outside, no nothing....

If I'm to be trusted, I will probably make my civilization without summoning anything....lots of magma moats for mining dwarfite, though.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:30:53 pm by Iazo »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2013, 02:11:00 pm »

if you want to challenge of no trade I suggest removing these two lines from your entity:

[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL]

without pack animals or animals to pull wagons trade should be abolished.

EDIT:
also summoning is optional AFAIK so yes you can ignore it, but whenever you get bored or feel like starting up on it, it's there waiting for you.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2013, 01:19:53 am »

I took inspiration from history, where convicts were used as a first phase of colonization. Countries back then believed that they could get rid of undesirables and get profit from new lands at little risk. Of course that was wrong and it backfired.

If you remove the two common domestic lines from entity_fooccubus.txt, you will not have caravans anymore. All that is left is to kill goblins until they stop coming, or to remove this from entity_default as well :
Code: [Select]
/* fooccubus
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]
*/

There is little way to prevent trading. Your civ must be at war with all other civs with caravans. If I make a new entity with no trading, the first one will come to trade with the second unless they are at war. And if I make an entity at war with the succubi, they are likely to be at peace with the dwarves. Afaik, there is no way to tell that one civ live in isolation and will never trade.

I find trade annoying too but I am okay with only one caravan a year.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2013, 01:28:49 am »

Things for hositiles of different views:

BABY_SNACHER (everyone but other snatchers hate them)
ITEM_THEIF (I think everyone hates these guys, even other item_theives?)

removing CAN_SPEAK from a creature (this will cause everyone to wage war on them because they can't make peace treaties, or any intelligent converstations.)

or you can add UTTERACNES so they at least get gibberish names.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2013, 01:44:53 am »

That's right, I forgot about speaking and utterances, I'll try playing with those to see if I can make an deep variant of the succubi.

I wanted to split the civ at some point anyway so let's see what happen.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42