Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A forum Adventure I'm Working On  (Read 540 times)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A forum Adventure I'm Working On
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:56:08 pm »

So, I'm a member on another forum, the MSPAForums, which is a great forum like this.
I'm trying my hand at a new Forum Adventure, that is loosely inspired in many ways by many different things.
Here's an actual list of those things:
Shadowrun, D&D, Madoka Magica, Erfworld, Zombie Apocalypse Stuff, Adventure Time, Dwarf Fortress, Mawaru Penguindrum, Fire Emblem (Mostly Awakening), (Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Nine Hours), aspects of High Fantasy, Aspects of Cyberpunk, and other Shizz

Here, the most noteworthy, is Dwarf Fortress.
Its inspired by Dwarf Fortress, wherein everything is trying to kill you, you start out with a number of dwarves, and there is a damn good chance that everything that can, WILL go wrong.
My art isn't very good, and I'm trying to improve. When the forum adventure really gets into its story (as I write this, we're still at character creation), I'm thinking I'll shift from 1st to 3rd person, and with third person, shifting from drawn, to sprite form. When I say sprite, I mean a bit more in the format of Dwarf Fortress, how things are in a grid shape.

Anyhow, the story follows a number of humans, 15 out of 18 was chosen (13 was the minimum, and 18 was the max I decided could be started with), who band together, all sharing their own views and philosophies, but all tired of solitude, and worrying if they'll make it to the next day. The person who organized them, plotted a course to a facility that he thought would be the best place nearby.
The exact location on earth is still in planning, as the third prologue is Location Selection.
Similar to Dwarf Fortress, there are skills and traits the humans will have, and locations will be more dangerous than others
The World the humans lived in changed from one much like the one we lived in, to "The New Age of Magic and Shizz". Crpytids, Monsters, Demons, all of it came back. The Old Age of Magic and Shizz, was when the world was still fresh in a sense, monsters and dragons still roamed, wizards were a 'thing'.
Over time, science and man dominated the world, and those things faded away, mostly.
A LICH (the lich that pretty much is the cause of The New Age will always be in caps) felt his magic fading, and knew despite his 'immortality' he would eventually be discovered, and his power would crumble. He enacted a Survival Strategy, which gives the user a reroll when it comes to the hand of fate. Normally it is used by a mortal who is in their youth still, and wouldn't need to reset many world parameters. Due to his advanced age, magic disappearing nearly to nonexistence now, his memories and life essence was massive enough to invoke enough a change in the world to cause a major change, I think the word for it is a cataclysm.
Its now 2019, June 3rd, at 6 am (Five years, Six Months, 3 Days, and 6 hours), and the humans have gathered at the rendezvous point, and will make the trek to their new home.

How long will these humans survive in a world where they no longer rule?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A forum Adventure I'm Working On
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 07:16:35 am »

Sorry for double posting.
An update: My Forum Adventure can be called dead, as its been a day or two since a new suggestion was made, and the last one I think missed the point. As forum adventures go, usually all the readers have to do is name a character, or multiple, usually not at once, and usually not much more in detail than that for multiple.
I think I was taking too long getting things off the ground.
I'm gonna reboot it once I have all my characters ready. I'll be taking it more in my hands by choosing what location its set in, rather than making a large world and giving readers a region select.
Wish me luck!
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.