Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 48081 times)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #345 on: February 25, 2014, 11:32:19 pm »

An upgrade system to the buildings would liven up the game a bit.  Something like extra storage space in basements and houses, grandiose churches, crypts in cemeteries.  Basically upgrades that won't take up more space but utilizes fake z-levels as a way to justify upgrades.  Or we can go the route of modular upgrades, where say an upgrade would cost a neighboring tile or two would also be nice.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 25, 2014, 11:51:14 pm »

Anno 2070 does Ok. Although all of their people don't even have names.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2014, 12:58:15 am »

Valid stuff

I think that is a pretty good assessment of the game and how it differs from similar games. It is fair though, to point out, it takes a while to get up to that many people, so it isn't like this is a two hour flash game. I am not sure why people feel the need to demand 90 hours out of every game they buy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 26, 2014, 01:58:43 pm »

Valid stuff

I think that is a pretty good assessment of the game and how it differs from similar games. It is fair though, to point out, it takes a while to get up to that many people, so it isn't like this is a two hour flash game. I am not sure why people feel the need to demand 90 hours out of every game they buy.

I want to buy games I can come back to. Games where I can basically tap out the experience in one play through don't feel like a good use of my money anymore.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:32 pm »

Personally, I just skip wood housing all together.  They are inefficient I heard.

EDIT: Made clarifications on the ( ) stuff.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:02:32 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 27, 2014, 03:38:14 pm »

I'm kinda stuck obsessing over on what the "perfect" town would be so I thought up some challenges.

Booze Baron - your main trade item should be booze.

Meat and taters - phase out all other foods and completely sustain the town with meat goods, fish and potatoes.

Tree Hugger - phase out all other foods and completely sustain the town with orchards only.

Can Bay12 do it? Pics or it didn't happen. I'll be working on Booze Baron and Tree Hugger at the same time.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 27, 2014, 05:27:08 pm »

One thing I have learned about stripping resources from the other end of a large map.  Mass starvation and freezing death.

Well, freezing is not so bad.  The AI typically goes to the nearest warm place, which is any stone house.
For food though....  they go ALL the way back to their own home, skipping over the stocked market and barns.  Typically, most of them starve on the way back.  I had lost over 30 peasants cause of that.  Which well, isn't too dangerous if I managed the workers.  The food industry is easy to stock.  It would have been devastating if I let it run on it's own since I was also losing people to old age.

I have recently set-up a forward outpost of a Market, Barn and some Stone Housing for these resource stripping endeavors... hoping that that a closer market/barn may have them eat their instead of going all the way home. Nope, forward market/barn does not work.
... The only possibility to mitigate starvation deaths on these resource stripping operations: All Roads Lead to Rome  ....  Brick Roads EVERYWHERE
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:51:58 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #352 on: February 27, 2014, 07:37:56 pm »

1: Workers that produce a good need to automatically collect that good. Smiths make their hammers first, farmers eat first, and heck, tailors wear warm coats before anyone else in town. Isn't it said that firewood warms you twice, once when you burn it, and once when you chop it? Well, even woodcutters should be able to burn a little wood to keep from freezing while they chop more wood.

2: Workers need to compare distance when considering eating, and we need a "tavern" building to allow people to eat and warm up wherever they are.

3: Putting out fires needs to interrupt other jobs. Less immediately, other disasters need to attract attention. Villagers should flee from tornadoes and seek medicine immediately.

With those things addressed, then 90% of the serious complaints I've seen will be resolved.

Then we can get to the cool stuff. I want mines to work more organically: all mines are infinite, but require periodic reinforcement with logs and iron as they expand. Each time a miner works, they have a chance to produce either iron or coal, plus some stone.

Add to that different geology for different maps. Some maps have half as much coal and twice the iron, meaning you have to buy more. Some maps have lots of both, and some are just rock all the way down.

Then we can add new minerals like salt and silver.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:53:58 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 27, 2014, 09:10:55 pm »

I like the mine expansion idea but it should get more expensive per expansion so it make new mines more appealing.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 27, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »

Mines shouldn't really create stone; the result of chipping away in a mine would be gravel, which while somewhat useful for other things, isn't really a good building material like quarried stone would be. What we should be able to do though is quarry away a hillside. Because seriously, why would you make your quarry down in the dirt of a valley rather than the side of an obviously stone hillside? That's just daft for a good half dozen reasons ranging from initial thickness of dirt to flooding and transport.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 27, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »

My quest to become the Booze Baron is coming along nicely. I just need 3 more tree seeds and I can safely phase out the gatherers hut and rely only on orchards plus the hunter's hut. Once I have my second trade post up and at least 4 breweries, I can safely trade booze for anything.

The booze must flow.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 28, 2014, 12:15:15 pm »

So.... Orchards?  What do to make em more productive then 550 a year?  I have max size, with 3 workers.  Productivity still sucks.  Is it the harsh climate that screws it up? 
(Apparently they like to cut down some of the orchard trees everynow and then for some inexplicable reason.)

Also... Max size farms with 3 farmers living close by = 100% planting and harvesting efficiency usually.

I have too much food.  Well, too much venison and fish.  I'm not expanding my population fast enough to eat it all.  Waiting on stone traders.

brash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 28, 2014, 12:26:19 pm »

Make sure your orchards are NOT within the radius of a Forestry unit else they will harvest the mature trees for firewood ^_^

brash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 28, 2014, 12:27:13 pm »

(Apparently they like to cut down some of the orchard trees everynow and then for some inexplicable reason.)
Make sure your orchards are NOT within the radius of a Forestry unit else they will harvest the mature trees for firewood ^_^ "A tree is a tree is a tree"

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 28, 2014, 12:39:28 pm »

Make sure your orchards are NOT within the radius of a Forestry unit else they will harvest the mature trees for firewood ^_^ "A tree is a tree is a tree"
Nope, out of the radius.  My lumberjacks are way out in the boondocks with dedicated lumberjack only areas.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28