Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 48170 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #360 on: February 28, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »

If I remember correctly there is a Harvest Wood option in the orchard you can turn off to keep them from doing that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 28, 2014, 03:36:44 pm »

If you mean orchards missing some trees sometimes, its the farmer cutting down old and sickly trees to prevent sickness.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2014, 04:32:23 pm »

If you mean orchards missing some trees sometimes, its the farmer cutting down old and sickly trees to prevent sickness.
I see... so that may be cause of the harsh climate... ?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 28, 2014, 05:17:55 pm »

Do different fruits have different growing conditions in game? You might want to try growing apples and seeing if that's more efficient in a harsh climate?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 28, 2014, 05:23:01 pm »

Not seeing any difference. I have all trees in a harsh climate and everything gives about 250-500 per 9x8 orchards.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 28, 2014, 05:27:10 pm »

Ah darn. I've read that crops have differing hardiness (squash is the hardiest, pumpkins the least) so I figured the fruit would too. Though crop hardiness is only important when there's an early frost and doesn't seem to factor into farm output.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:28:41 pm by Baijiu »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #366 on: February 28, 2014, 05:43:15 pm »

I still think the player's attachment to the little people is mostly in the player's head.  I remember feeling a pang last evening when two of my little old men died, who I remembered as teenagers moving out into their first homes which I had just built for them.  That was when the town was only a few dozen large.  At 225, I scarcely know the names of anyone.  That wouldn't change even if they had dozens of attributes.  I confess last names would be helpful in keeping in touch with the families of the originals, but I suspect that Luke doesn't want people looking too closely at the marriage patterns.  One of my little teenagers married his Mom after his Dad died.  They had one child together before she was too old to have more.  I was watching for him to move out and I saw what he did there.   :o
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 28, 2014, 06:13:42 pm »

Actually, woman have children when alone.  So it has plausible deniability that the woman was with anyone else.
Children still living with their parents never have children of their own though.
... I guess incest may have happened way back when also.

'Bob the Farmer has died of old age'  'Shmuck has taken his place as a Farmer.'  Then I check who all my farmers are.  Shmuck has already been shuffled off to another job and someone else is the farmer.

Each and every little person may as well be worker bots.  They never improve, they are literally interchangeable except for their ability to spawn more worker bots and the y/n in 'education'.  This game could be about robots instead of people.  And noone would know the difference.
Also, there are no child sprites/differentiation.

1 feature I would want...  permanent icon over the head.  So I know what the heck the AI is up to.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2014, 06:22:11 pm »

I still think the player's attachment to the little people is mostly in the player's head.  I remember feeling a pang last evening when two of my little old men died, who I remembered as teenagers moving out into their first homes which I had just built for them.  That was when the town was only a few dozen large.  At 225, I scarcely know the names of anyone.  That wouldn't change even if they had dozens of attributes.  I confess last names would be helpful in keeping in touch with the families of the originals, but I suspect that Luke doesn't want people looking too closely at the marriage patterns.  One of my little teenagers married his Mom after his Dad died.  They had one child together before she was too old to have more.  I was watching for him to move out and I saw what he did there.   :o

I don't care about attributes as much as I do the little people doing things that make sense. And being able to actually go in and look at a person and see the family arrangements and who their parents were and so one would help in seeing the multi-generational stories going on. Things like that would help, even if the game doesn't track random details like favorite food (although that could help with happiness in this particular game).

Part of the issue is that a lot of stuff is arbitrary. Parents can have two kids at a time, that's it. Why? Why can't they have more? Sure, maybe if food supplies are stretched thin they'd hold off, but when I have twice as much food in my storehouses as needed why can't people have larger families?

And why is it that people can jump from job to job without any effect on the game? It takes years to master blacksmithing, and an experienced blacksmith should be able to make tools much faster than a novice one. Having your old blacksmith die without a trained apprentice should set you back considerably. As it is you just take some random laborer and tell them to get to work without necessarily seeing any difference. As Zangi says, that makes it a bit harder to care about the individuals because even the game doesn't think they matter any other than a basic age/sex balance of the overall population.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2014, 11:17:08 pm »

Trying to survive using trees as my main source of food. Town almost starved due to a combination of fire destroying one of my full stocked barn that holds the majority of my tools, poor harvest due to a third of my trees regrowing and an early winter.

Now I barely have enough food from a trader and the next few harvest were still poor had to expand into gatherers hut and hunting cabins to make ends meet.

On the plus side, the fire only burned 3 houses, blacksmith, woodcutter and a forester. Also the houses that burned only had old people that died before I could rebuild them.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 01, 2014, 12:31:01 am »

Maybe its just me, but when has any citybuilder kept track of individuals the way you guys are asking? Maybe COTN? I didn't play that. Emperor and the similar Impressions type games certainly didn't bother.

My own project that has a bit of city building does have individuals with varying talents that can't be easily interchanged, but that's more for RPG than city building reasons and it doesn't keep track of families either. And of course most of the population is a faceless mass. Only "educated" or "higher class" citizens get stats.

I can't recall a single city building game, aside from COTN if it did which I don't know, that keeps track of what you guys are talking about. Or any survival games either.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 01, 2014, 02:13:09 am »

Tropico.

Banished has little people walking around.  They can individually freeze to death, starve, burn and walk into a tornado.  If they die, you literally lose a worker for each one.

In other games, like the impression ones... it doesn't really matter unless they are army units.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 01, 2014, 02:45:11 pm »

Dwarf Fortress too.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #373 on: March 01, 2014, 07:46:47 pm »

But little Hugh moved into Daddy's place in the household list.  He was definitely taking over the place of man in the house.

I have a question about bridges that I decided to ask here because folks here tend to be more technically minded.  I have been wondering why materials move so darn slow over the bridges.  I don't mean visually.  I mean that every time I have to place the forest group of buildings across the river from the starting settlement, the food supply suffers.  Then I realized that the bridges across the rivers show up as between 30 10 and 50 20 tiles long when you build them.  So the path length is that much longer.  But then I had another realization, that the bridge should be shorter than that because it goes across in a little arch and doesn't follow the terrain of the river bottom.  So is it shorter?  Has anyone else felt that bridges slow everything down?  I had some houses on the other side of the river from the marketplace.  They were inside its circle, but they always seemed to shop at a storage barn on their own side of the river.  I am wondering if the game is schizophrenic on the matter, with the path looking short but being long when the path-finding goes to work.

Edit: I was thinking of the logs needed, not the length in tiles.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:24:53 am by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 02, 2014, 12:17:46 am »

I haven't noticed any significant slowdowns from bridges, no.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28