Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 47869 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!
« Reply #390 on: June 29, 2014, 06:31:16 pm »

I thought the game was a remarkable accomplishment but didn't feel like it was a complete game.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:41:55 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 29, 2014, 09:18:44 pm »

I thought the game was a remarkable accomplishment but didn't feel like it was a complete game.

This exactly. I purchased Banished during the sale and I have to say that it feels like a really good tech demo or a polished alpha... not a full game.

Good foundation, but after playing it for a couple hours I had to go double-check that it wasn't an early access title.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 29, 2014, 09:28:51 pm »

Its everything dev said that he was putting into the game. I mean, one can sit here and sift through maps till you got the right one for all your living needs. To me there wasn't enough rampant diseases or accidents. I think not adding violence into the game probably was the breaker, i mean i don't want it to end up like Caesar and man a huge army but at least dangerous wildlife, bandits, and rogue nobles scouring the lands for resources.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #393 on: July 01, 2014, 07:31:58 pm »

It's a highly competent one-man production. What it really needs is the mod kit, and it's coming...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 06, 2015, 02:55:42 am »

So...big necro :P

I have a friend who just bought this. But, like every new game he gets he texts me every 1-2 hours for up to a week saying how amazing it is and I have to buy it...NOW! I HAVE TO BUY IT NOW! (his exact words for every new game he gets lol. No exaggeration xD) Like a used cars salesman lol.

So, before actually buying it...as most of the time a week later he goes "boy that was a waste of money"...

Is banished worth getting? :P I do want to play a city builder. I loved children of the nile, I can buy that on GOG since I lost my old disks. Its cheaper too.

I tried the newer Anno game (the sci-fi one, not the one yet to be released) and I didn't like it...it was too combat based and AI cheated lol. I just want a nice calming city builder to play.

So is banished worth getting at all? Or should I just go ahead and buy CotN?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 06, 2015, 03:01:12 am »

Banished is a very simple concept, weighted to be a very difficult game.
It's not overly complex, so there isn't the suite of 'special things' to keep you hooked.

Buy it, expect to love it and pour days into it, but don't expect much after that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 06, 2015, 03:04:00 am »

Banished is a very simple concept, weighted to be a very difficult game.
It's not overly complex, so there isn't the suite of 'special things' to keep you hooked.

Buy it, expect to love it and pour days into it, but don't expect much after that.

Ah, so if I want something that lasts a lot longer...I probably should just pick up children of the nile then I'm guessing. I played that years ago, and played months and still had a good time and I still didn't run out of things (well, I didn't play every day, but I did play a lot for months quite a bit, and I was kinda bad at it lol).
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 06, 2015, 03:06:09 am »

Its a little novel and kinda fun.. but it got dull a bit too quick because unless you challenge yourself with the harder modes, which is the same but harder to keep alive.
I played one or two days maybe

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev
« Reply #398 on: August 06, 2015, 03:09:00 am »

I have played it for a bit. It's a solid game without bugs. But... but... It's kind of borish, I don't know, nothing happens in this game. No techs, no new buildings unlocked, no events.
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - classic RPG (topic)
Stellar Monarch - 4X, no micromanagement, turn based (topic)
Homepage: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SilverLemur

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 06, 2015, 03:17:51 am »

okay, well thanks for your feedback. :) I imagine a week from now, my friend will have moved on like usual then lol.

I'll pick up children of the nile :) That was a lot of fun, and I never even had the expansion last time! Was too poor at the time cause I was a kid :P Only had the base game

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 06, 2015, 05:19:25 am »

Yeah, this game will keep you interested for possibly 1-2 weeks depending on how long it takes you to develop system mastery, then quickly become dull and pointless.

There was lots of talk about developing modding capability for this game, anyone know if anything ever came of it?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #401 on: August 06, 2015, 05:35:29 am »

Colonial Charter mods the game pretty extensively

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 06, 2015, 06:12:18 am »

There has been modding, but it's mainly just been adding more stuff to the systems already in place. Whilst it might be fun to have more crops and more animals, there's definitely nothing I've seen that adds anything new.

This is my problem with Banished really. It's just not got enough systems to keep you playing more than a few hours. I really didn't find it that difficult to master (only 3-4 hours max really, with one or two false starts) and I just can't recommend it unless it gets something like combat or similar to give a wider challenge.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 06, 2015, 07:53:06 pm »

Yeah, this game will keep you interested for possibly 1-2 weeks depending on how long it takes you to develop system mastery, then quickly become dull and pointless.

There was lots of talk about developing modding capability for this game, anyone know if anything ever came of it?

That's.... optimistic.

Steam says I played 11 hours, which was over the course of maybe 3 or 4 days. I feel like I experienced everything the game has to offer in those 11 hours. My first game (on mostly medium type settings) I actually managed to have *nobody* die of anything except old age.

Someone said earlier in the thread that it feels more like a tech demo then a game.... and I actually agree with that completely. Once you figure out that more houses = more children, you've pretty much won already because you can easily control your population growth. The only "hard" part about the whole game is making sure everyone does not get old and die at the same time.

It's one of the few games on steam I genuinely regret buying.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 06, 2015, 08:06:44 pm »

Yeah, its pretty dull and a big time waster.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28