Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 47868 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #375 on: March 03, 2014, 06:00:44 am »

Can the title of this topic be changed to "Banished - whatever else"?

Why is the name of the game hidden in a wall of text?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #376 on: March 03, 2014, 10:50:00 am »

I wouldn't exactly call two words a wall of text...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!
« Reply #377 on: March 03, 2014, 11:20:44 am »

Better?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #378 on: March 03, 2014, 05:06:16 pm »

Does anyone want to do a succession game? Maybe like 10 years each? We could also do "Play as if you're X villager", so as long as that dude's alive, you control the save...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:16:58 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 03, 2014, 05:48:51 pm »

That's kinda hard to do unless you have the window for him open at all times.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 03, 2014, 06:56:43 pm »

That's kinda hard to do unless you have the window for him open at all times.
10 years is probably better, rather then following 1 faceless mook who can easily be lost in the random shuffling that occurs when other mooks die.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 04, 2014, 02:04:26 am »

I'd get on board if we did a succession.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 09, 2014, 07:52:19 am »

So I've toyed around with this game to the point where I feel I've basically mastered the balancing act it requires.

Overall a good game with many positive features. The endgame suffers from a lack of variety and challenge however. For example, once you buy seed stock from a trader, you have it forever.

I'm looking forward to what the modding community can come up with. There's not much to challenge the player past the 100 adult worker mark in the vanilla version. From the perspective of a DF player it's fairly easy to survive in this game even with multiple disasters (I had an infestation in my orchards, a tornado wipe out half my population and a fire consume half my buildings all in a single year).

For anyone setting up a shared game, I'd suggest checking out large valley seed 290. Unless you're doing a mountain game, of course.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #384 on: March 16, 2014, 10:34:51 am »

I agree that experience with DF is a plus in Banished. 

I don't agree that the challenges all disappear once you have 100 people workers.  At that point you have yet to live through population slumps from waves of old age, with subsequent baby booms.  You probably haven't admitted any nomads, with their ragged clothing, lack of education, and diseases.  You certainly haven't expanded to fill a medium map, let alone a large one. 

This game has no "endgame", and it certainly isn't at 100 people.  Edit:  Or workers, for that matter.

Seed stock is purchased forever, but not livestock.  If your livestock dies out, or is destroyed, you have to buy new stock.

For the goal-oriented, there are achievements to be attained.  These include achieving a 900 population, reaching the 200-year-mark, and various other, smaller but more difficult, feats.

The game isn't DF, but it is pretty nice, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:02:36 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 16, 2014, 01:16:50 pm »

I'd say it somewhat falls off after 300 or so population, but maybe that's because I was spoiled by Emperor.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 16, 2014, 10:23:23 pm »

I agree that experience with DF is a plus in Banished. 

I don't agree that the challenges all disappear once you have 100 people workers.  At that point you have yet to live through population slumps from waves of old age, with subsequent baby booms.  You probably haven't admitted any nomads, with their ragged clothing, lack of education, and diseases.  You certainly haven't expanded to fill a medium map, let alone a large one. 

This game has no "endgame", and it certainly isn't at 100 people.  Edit:  Or workers, for that matter.

Seed stock is purchased forever, but not livestock.  If your livestock dies out, or is destroyed, you have to buy new stock.

For the goal-oriented, there are achievements to be attained.  These include achieving a 900 population, reaching the 200-year-mark, and various other, smaller but more difficult, feats.

The game isn't DF, but it is pretty nice, IMO.

Spoiler: Riverbend, Year 135 (click to show/hide)

Ultimately gaining achievements would just require more time input at this stage. The real challenge to survival for my town already passed long ago. About ten or twenty years ago I switched most of my farms to wheat simply to burn off excess food by brewing it into alcohol, so if food does get short I can always just switch them back to edible crops instead.

So yeah, at this stage there's not much challenge left. In a sandbox game with no win condition, losing is the fun part, and if you can't lose then it gets a bit stale after awhile.

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 17, 2014, 09:41:48 am »

Come join me and give advice on my journey with my Banished citizens

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ0P4whkLHM3dqX0eaKAuU3GCke9cffJO

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 29, 2014, 06:10:17 pm »

So I finally took the plunge and got this and I have to say I'm a bit...well not disappointed but...maybe frustrated? Something anyway.

I really, really enjoyed it for the first hour. Really smooth gameplay, great AI (moving to live close to work areas!!!) and just generally thought it was a really pleasant, relaxing game - similar to DF on good biomes with an easy start. A bit put off by the lack of a night and day system, and there could have been way more general village stuff rather than just endlessly doing jobs.

However I have to say that after 3-4 hours I'm completely done with it. There are so few buildings and so few real challenges other than achievements (which are either a bit silly (build 20 wells) or just massive time sinks (900 population)). I started again with a mountainous, harsh conditions map but it felt pretty much the same just with needing to be a bit faster on the micromanagement. Even if there was an extra challenging mode, there's so few things to build/do that it gets a bit pointless once you've gotten it self sustaining.

I hear there is going to be a modding tool, but it sounds as though it might be rather shallow somehow - all the dev. mentioned (I think) was stuff like new crops and adding your own models/textures.

Does anyone have any more information about the modding? 

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 29, 2014, 06:15:17 pm »

None that I have heard of to date unfortunetly.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28