Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 48098 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!
« Reply #405 on: August 06, 2015, 09:13:58 pm »

Yeah, I was pretty excited for it originally, but when it came out I played it for a few hours and pretty much did everything there was to do. It's pretty disappointing.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #406 on: August 06, 2015, 09:17:09 pm »

It's actually suprising how hard people forgot about this thing after hype and pretty healthy initial reception. I haven't seen people complaining about wasted potential before this thread got Necro'd.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:18:59 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #407 on: August 06, 2015, 09:33:26 pm »

Played this for a few hours.

It's quite bad. There's no charm, no personality. It's like it was designed by an engineer who's entire right hemisphere of his brain took a vacation, so all you get left is a spreadsheet and grey + brown + white.

This game is basically Tropico, but Tropico is leagues better than this. Everything is the same, except Tropico does it better in every aspect.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #408 on: August 07, 2015, 12:53:19 am »

Played this for a few hours.

It's quite bad. There's no charm, no personality. It's like it was designed by an engineer who's entire right hemisphere of his brain took a vacation, so all you get left is a spreadsheet and grey + brown + white.

This game is basically Tropico, but Tropico is leagues better than this. Everything is the same, except Tropico does it better in every aspect.

To be fair, Aurora 4x.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 07, 2015, 01:00:12 am »

Well, my friend is already saying he regrets buying it and he has only played it since yesterday. He played looking at his steam account, 8 hours and is already bored.

In the end, I ended up installing cities skylines again (I had to stop due to video card issues and even on low settings game lagged a lot for me lol). It runs a lot better now.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 07, 2015, 09:50:47 am »

To be fair, Aurora 4x.
Aurora has mind-blowingly crazy obtuseness and complexity though.

And while it's quite spreadsheety, it does have some charm put into it. For example, you can do a lot of silly pointless things like give people medals you designed and named yourself, promote and manage individual people, and choose the theme of your naming conventions among other things. Not to mention the ridiculous projects you can get up to... like the missile that shoots more missiles that shoots more missiles that shoots more missiles. There's also the fact that due to the sheer level of complexity and possibility, everyone who manages to surpass the learning cliff will have lots of amusing anecdotes and stories about their efforts. People will probably remember the first time they got a merchant to buy one of their bleeding supply ships or when they finally make a warship that actually works.

Banished sadly has very, very, very small amounts of those. Or perhaps it does and my expectations of good gameplay are way too high. Who knows.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 07, 2015, 05:18:21 pm »

It's not just you, it doesn't. Aurora has an insane amount of depth to it, Banished has next to none. Gameplay is basically just "build houses, make food", with no concrete goals or sense of progression beyond moving from wood to stone.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 07, 2015, 07:54:34 pm »

Yeah, on that note this would go really well with an RTS element I think.  Thats what I found myself vaguely hoping for after successfully establishing myself.  You would have more interesting considerations than just 'how the fuck do i get these jackasses to harvest instead of letting the crops rot in the fields'.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]